F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

That's a forbidden question Rob haha. What's your favourite car of the season?

Roberto Siragusa and pascom like this.
  2. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

they are all beautiful I would like to see the Arrows I remember that in the previous version it had an error in the livery

3. datasting

datasting Registered

JPS Lotus :)

buzz hornet and Roberto Siragusa like this.
  4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Sure you don't wanna save the best till last?

The Arrows is a very pretty car and the model we have from Chief did is particularly good. I think we might get the anti BMW brigade though if I bring that one next. But it is definetely the easiest one to add at this point. I will have a think about it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    buzz hornet and Roberto Siragusa like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

A small team from Northern Italy, has such a tiny budget they can only afford to paint their cars solid red.

doddynco likes this.
  6. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

You could bring in the Osella. its slow as all hell but atleast it has a V8 it will make americans happy @doddynco

pascom, davehenrie and doddynco like this.
  7. Dale B

Dale B Registered

lol, not all of us Americans feel that way!

All I know is whatever car comes in next will be a welcome addition, far and away my favorite mod to drive these days. The work that has gone into this mod really shows, so many little things that separate it from the rest.

doddynco likes this.
  8. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

The turbo lag on the Historic mod, at least for the Benneton is no joke like. I'm not able to drive it. The CE edition seems to have something weird going on with the power levels of the engines, similar to the issues with Chief's 1986 mod too. Would like to run this as a full champ season but can't with any of the 3 mods right now unfortunately :(

doddynco likes this.
  9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Might be difficult to manage but I can assure you it is very accurate. Try turning the boost down - you don't have to run at the default 3.7 bars.
    image009~2.jpg

atomed, AfarNUFC and vava74 like this.
  10. EmperorOfFinland

I have been driving the engines tuned at around 2.3-2.7 bars and on the bmw there is approximately around 2 seconds of turbolag so on jacrepagua i had to apply throttle at the mid point of both hairpins so the turbo would kick in at the exit 2 seconds later.

One tip is that when it finally kicks in you lift throttle quickly and gently apply it back up. as when the turbo is spooled up the turbolag is reduced. also a good differential tune that matches the power and coast values helps with it. also more preload smooths out the turbokick.
    The biggest thing you can do is to equalise the coast and power value endresults as much as you can. and that will work for most part.

AfarNUFC and doddynco like this.
  11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Another little driver tip for dealing with the power of these cars is something I heard from riding motorbikes in the wet: On corner exit, a bad thing to do is to try and use a higher gear to stay low in the rev range in order to limit the power available. It is the most natural thing to do because as a driver, you think, "I need less power so I should not drop another gear to give me a cleaner exit".

The problem is that this leads to a much higher wheel speed groundspeed difference once the boost/wheelspin does kick in. It's more controllable and faster to be in the gear that puts you high in the power band as you're straightening out the car on exit (9krpm+ with the BMW engine) so that the rev limit acts as a wheel speed limit (very primitive traction control).

Here is the extrapolated power curve showing what happens with the BMW in qualifying with around 5.4 bars 1280bhp@11500rpm. Orange line shows race trim around 3.7 bars.

The dyno run I posted has the rev limit at 9500rpm - they are trying to look after this engine. The extrapolation still works as the wastegate is only just beginning to open at 9500rpm on their dyno run.

Untitled.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    atomed and AfarNUFC like this.
  12. Dale B

Dale B Registered

Yes, I've turned the turbo down too, also I lowered the throttle sensitivity which seems to help. Also gearing (closer together) if possible, depending on the track is another one so I can try and keep the turbo spooled up. Such a challenge to drive which I love! Keep posting tips and hints, I've got so far to go to get anywhere close to where I want to be in these cars.

I've watched some video's of Mansell talking about driving these cars and yes, timing the turbo out of the corners was so critical.

doddynco likes this.
  13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

If you haven't already, you can set a control for -/+ turbo wastegate, so that you can change the turbo boost on the fly. Starting low and building up as you complete tidy laps is a good way to get into driving well with over 4 bars.

I think some of these drivability issues may be coming from the tires not being up to temperature - after a recent update they are very difficult to get up to temperature. I'll be reviewing that again for the next update.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    atomed, Hazi, pkelly and 2 others like this.
  14. EmperorOfFinland

i think what makes the cars harder to drive is that there is around 150-300hp more power on the car than if the car would use the boost pressures used 4 years earlier. With 2.3-2.7 bar the car is still quite driveable but if you almost double the pressure the car becomes really jolty aswell so instead of having 300hp and to 600hp you have 300hp to 900hp and that seems to catch people up as you have to legimately max out preload and also lift throttle when turbo spools up after the corner and reapplying it back. when the 600hp really is not that big of a deal usually in terms of power.

This also makes these cars a whole different beast to drive since it has 1.5x the power of the car 4 years earlier.

The gearing should be optimised so the turbo is always spooled up and if not you shift down and get turbo spooled. also one trick that work is the senna throttle blip to keep turbo spooling up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Dale B, pkelly and doddynco like this.
  15. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

I’m by no means an expert, and yes whilst the cars are difficult to drive there are techniques to assist and also aids to assist with :) looking forward to the next car.

16. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Also when the mod is released in full I’m assuming each team will be positioned in the correct pit garage using the 1986 track pack?

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

lol! THAT technique was one of the biggest complaints against rF2 AI. Mostly eradicated in the last full update. Big applause when it happened.

18. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi All,

For some reason in Brazil AI usually do 2 laps in Qualy then going in to the pits where they fail to find their spots. After that after a while they teleprot into the box and they never came out.

Is there anybody who experience the same?

Attached Files:

19. Oskar

Oskar Registered

How have you guys dealt with power delivery on high boost settings? I'm struggling with throttle response on a high boost engine mod.
    As far as I understand rF2 just has a single boost target setting that you have to manually toggle between. So no option for boost target-by-throttle position like on real cars, and no option for a pre-turbo throttle to have a similar effect like they had on the actual F1 turbo cars.
    I've been trying to get the DumpValve setting to help here. But can't get it to actually do anything. (not implemented, or code bug maybe?)
    Is there some other way to solve the runaway boost (up to target boost pressure) at part throttle issue?

20. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Any news on the next car release?