Engine simulation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simulation_Player, Apr 19, 2022.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

And now you propably see, that it isn't as black and white as we might think, how those development desicions need to be made. I allways follow the logic that, if you have feature XYZ, that you need to apply it to all the cars (or tracks) that have that feature in reality. It's like shipping a car without brakes, eventhough we all know that a car should have brakes. I too would like to see features first that apply to a wide variety of cars, like the a updated drive train, clutch and transmission model, but it's sometimes also nice to get features that make some pieces of content very special. The second brake pedal for the McLaren MP4/12 in AMS2 is a nice example for this. That said, while striking a balance there is a minimum of what needs to be achieved to keep a certain standard. PBR updates for all the tracks are a very good example for this.

atomed and Simulation_Player like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The rF2 engine file defines reference conditions (air pressure, density, fuel/air mass ratio) for the torque curve, which means a lot of atmospheric effects could be directly 'modeled' without the need to update any cars. 'Just' a bit of extra code to take the track altitude and current conditions into account.

Overall engine temperature would be another matter. I'd be interested to know how much real world difference engine temperature makes to output power though, as it's easy to focus on these things and lose perspective on how important they actually are. Of course better simulation is basically always going to be an improvement, but the law of diminishing returns is ever present.

I find your list intriguing though - tyre pressures aside, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that making the rest minimum is the best option globally.

3. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Rf2 probably already simulates all the critical stuff that makes biggest impact.
    So moving forward the features list might have a diminishing returns.
    But this particular effect just "needs" to be done as a basic physics property. otherwise it just bit off putting.
    for example the rf2 simulates the aero effects of brake ducts and radiators....their effects is so marginal (on cars i tested) you could argue the same....i.e diminishing returns.
    but it just needs to be there , because it is a very basic and fundamental......a "expected" thing to not have when your product is a proper simulator.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

But how much does engine temperature actually impact on performance?

5. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

I know where this is going now, from experience.
    Anyways no point in debating, it's up to devs as usual :)
    If it can be done relatively easily why not have it ?
    alright cheers.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sure, like lots of things.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

SP! You are experienced enough in the world that is rF2 to know that NOTHING is 'relatively easy!' :)

lagg and Simulation_Player like this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Experience says yes, even when logic says no :D

Good signs with the RC though. This might actually be a good year...