Enabling Vsync

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Bsmooth, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Ok I've tried a few things and still performance lags quite a bit.Starts of races and behind Brianza in pits are like slow slide shows.
    System is:
    I5-2500K CPU 3.30 Ghz
    8Gb RAM
    Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
    So what are the best settings for getting it to run smooth. I did cut back shadows and it runs better.
    Also how do you set Vsync to enabled in the game, and what settings are best for it as well.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Start the launcher and click on the button to configure sim. In the window that pops up, there is an option on the second row of drop downs that says sync. click the down arrow and choose video. That should enable vsync in the software. There may also be something in your driver software to do this, but I am not familiar with nVidia software anymore.

3. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Thought I Recognized that avatar, I think I remember that from GPL days! Thanks for the info, it just wasn't plain to me If that was Vsync or not, and I wasn't sure which option to choose.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Best bet when in doubt, try them all and see which one you like the best :)

As far as the Avatar, I am not the only one that uses it. A friend of mine used it for a bit and gave it to me when he changed to something else. I have also seen other users even here at ISI forums use it so I think it is sort of common.

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

But that introduces wheel input lag, setting it to software has no input lag, afaik. Of course with software setting you might get some tearing, but if one notices that, then one is driving too slow :)

Setting vsync has function to stabilize fps, so that you get constant fps all the time, which makes driving easier.

Shadows, those hit me back 30-40% if I set them to low, with shadows maxed I get a slide show, really can't use them at all.

Also make sure that you don't run out of graphic cards memory, ctrl+f cycles trough fps display and gpu memory display (green bar) if green bar is really short or turns yellow/red then reduce track detail level and/or texture quality. Somethimes you see red bar flashing under green bar and that means stuff is loaded to gpu memory, which slows things down a lot if it happens constantly after 1st lap or so, flash here and then is quite normal though.

Also using Anti Aliasing tends to hit my fps hard, again if you notice yagged edges, you are driving too slow, thing is nice for screenshots though.

If you get software like MSI afterburner (free), you can set it so that it shows GPU usage in game, adjust details so that it never reaches quite 100% to allow gpu power for smoke and other effects without fps to drop a lot. Also instead of using vsync set to software in game, you can limit fps with afterburner software to limit your fps to any fps you wish, however I keep that at 60fps.

At Monaco track for example, I have to set texture detail to high or even bit lower if running with other cars, other car detail to low and track detail to low, can't use HDR, or anything else really, but this way I get 60fps constantly.

I don't know how I could see CPU usage when driving, but I have seen screenshot with such meter, that would be more difficult to tune then as mostly AI cars are those that use CPU I think, maybe some detail setting too, but as I haven't done that tuning I have no information about that.

6. martymoose

martymoose Registered

In msi afterburner you can set it up to show any info on screen using the afterurner osd display. It can show any of the info viewable in afterburner from fps to gpu temps, gpu or memory usage, fan speed etc. I have this enabled at times to make sure sli is working and how much load each gpu has along with fan speeds and temps. It is pretty handy to have on screen at times to see what is going on.

The one thing is that once you enable the osd server by enabling this in after burner settings the only way you will be able to stop the osd display server is by unchecking any osd statistics or hotkeys for video recording or screenshots. First time I enabled it it took me a while to figure this out and disable the osd server which wouod keep re opening after I closed it.

Video recording with afterburner I find works better then fraps as it can do multicore encoding. And is a usefull feature many may not even realise is included with it.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have GPU usage shown with afterburner, but it does not show CPU usage, I can hit ctrl + C to show rF2 cpu monitor, that I learned recently, but it is bit hard to read, there is green and purple bar, other is full length, other is shorter, there is one thin vertical line on each and sometimes there is very tiny bars or such on top of horizontal bars, but mostly there is nothing moving.

GPU usage is easily close to 100%, I need to adjust gfx settings per track to have GPU usage under 100% so that I can maintain constant fps. 20-90% GPU usage at Monaco track with GT1 car is typical range.

When I look task manager graphs, my CPU usage is 80-90% on first core and 20-30% second core,

I record all videos with afterburner, it works better than fraps for me.

Any gfx card that is clearly better than 8800GTS 512MB is costing really a lot, if performance is not doubled, it is not worth to upgrade, rule of thumb. My CPU seems to have more to offer though.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

One thing those that read this thread should know. Afterburner isn't friendly for all systems and configurations. I tested this the past couple of days and the issue I ran into is when I have it set to start with Windows, my system locks up, so I either have to start it manually or not at all to keep system issues to a minimum.

In other words, if you are going to use MSI Afterburner be prepared for issues unless you have an MSI card which should present no issues I would hope :)

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Boot time issue of such sounds antivirus conflicting to Afterburner, imo.

My advice is to not allow anything to add itself to start with windows, ever, that is one sure way to get into problems when enough many software are trying to start at same time requesting same stuff, it will end badly. Same for all quick start things and control panels and all that add icon next to clock, less is always better.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yes, less is always better and the reason that I only have a list of about 9 things total that start up when the system does, and I am talking about the system stuff starting, not added stuff like Afterburner. :) My task manager is very clean when I look into it showing all users.

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That is indeed good practice.

MSI Afterburner is actually Riva tuner enhaced, it is based on riva tuner, which originally was made tune tweak Ati graphic cards, but evolved to nice tool that could tune nvidia cards too, then it became MSI Afterburner, which was developed together with MSI, but is not tied to MSI hardware despite the name.

It has overclocking and fan control features that poll hardware which can cause some antivirus programs to detect something that they don't consider normal at boot time, which has caused some issues with many software, even HP printer drivers have been in conflict with antivirus software sometimes, gave no warning, random blue screens at boot or just printers that did disappear.

Some things with PC's and software just make you feel like dudes in face palm pics, now when I was repairing pc's for living, it started to become tad boring to find out cause of problems to be one of the largest antivirus software products, pc after pc always the same story, change to free antivirus got rid of problems and faster pc with less malware/virus issues, but we did too good job, there were soon not many pc's to be repaired as we also taught how to prevent those issues for customers :D

It is bit insane how some software reacts to other ones.

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yeah, the problem with teaching people is that some times they learn and no longer need you, heheh. Our biggest issues with anti-virus software was from Norton Internet Security, but they may have changed things since I owned my own store. That and AOL which we felt was a non self replicating virus. You seriously couldn't get rid of those things unless you made backups of the registry prior to installation and then you had to hope that nothing else was added that you wanted to keep. It was much faster for us to just redo the OS after a drive wipe than to try and get rid of those things.

13. Sir Stumpy

Sir Stumpy Registered

Hi all,
    With interest was reading this thread and decided to test my performance and post here.
    my system is
    I5 @3.3Ghz
    MSI Radeon 6950
    8 gigs ram

running MSI afterburner with all settings in RF2 maxed out (30 cars visible and the only thing switched off being HDR) I will get fps between 40.1 (grid) and then within the race 50-70 fps. Now the interesting part is that whilst i was getting FPS of 50, my GPU use was only at 58%. Now does that suggest that the graphics code is not fully optimised or that I just have a bottleneck i my system?

I tend to think its a bit of both.

Edit: this is at 800x600 resolution on Malaysa

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You are actually dropping below 60 running at 800 X 600? How much ram does your graphics card have? I can't see that this is a GPU or CPU issue unless there is a flaw in your card. I would suspect that your running the 1Gb 6950 and maybe using up all your available ram? Not sure how that is possible at 800 X 600 though.

15. Sir Stumpy

Sir Stumpy Registered

its actually teh twin frozer 3 6950 2gb model.

strangely on average a better 10fps performance at 1280x1024!

ati have released some new drivers (12.8) so will see how that affects things

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

very strange, I am running with triple screens with just about everything maxed out and I am getting better performance than you and I also use the 6950 2Gb card.