Dual Projectors instead of triple monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Emery, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Anyone using dual projectors? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience and difficulties matching up the two images.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

One advantage to three is the viewing angle of each monitor is different. If you only had two projectors you wouldn't get this full effect. So the fix is......... three projectors. HAHAHAHA!!!

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I think with a curved screen it would work but you would always be looking right at the join in the images. 1 or 3 is the way to go. 120hz low latency projectors aren't cheap. $1000 a pop.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Dual projectors are doable, and with some diligence you should be able to make it to where you don't see the joint between the 2 images. There is also software you can buy that will allow you to adjust the image shape to match what your screen is so there is little distortion. It will all take a bit of time and effort to get it to look right though. You don't need 120Hz projectors, but a couple of good quality ones that allow you to adjust everything is required in order for it to work. Using a single or triple is better, but two will do.

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I often thought about what solutions are possible with 2 projectors (I have one Full HD). From doable to some more "exotic" stuff which can make you laugh ;)

First, 3 is better of course, and assuming you have a software able to manage triple screens with lot of possibilities (I know one exist, can't remember its name) you can have one FullHD for the center and 2 HD Ready (720p) for the left and right sides. So it's around the same price than 2 Full HD. IMO Lower resolutions on the side can do the trick.

Second, what already said: 2 with a more or less curved screen and a good software to make the center joint perfectly fit. I already saw this (youtube) and it seems to be fine.

Third, the exotic part, never tested, I may have trademarked it ;) : 2 Full HD, One for the center, and the second one for both left and right side. How? by using a mirror system to cut in half one of the projected image and create the left and right side. Possibly hard to understand without a picture. In other word: assuming the magic software exist, computing a standard center image for one projector, and computing a dual image for the second projector showing the real left and right side, each side image having 1920/2 x 1080 resolutions (so 1920x1080 projected).one projector send the center image like usual. The second, right on top or bottom of the fist projector, have in front of it a double mirror like a "V" (or a prims?) to cut this in half and send half of the image to the left, and the other to the right. Not that easy to tune, but doable IMO. The advantage is you will not have any joint at the middle in front of you, and side joints din't have to be perfect (like with monitor borders).

And a four one, even more exotic IMO (forgive me it's Friday). This one was tested with a surprising success and I was amazed by the result. It imply the projector and a monitor. First, let me explain something: I mainly play in my office at home using my rig and a monitor. Then, sometimes, when I have several days off (like a long week end or some holidays) I bring my rig in another room where my projector is to play using it. That make an image 2m40 based, pretty cool. Anyway, you have to be at a certain distance from the screen, as the image (the cockpit) is too big and unrealistic. Anyway, when you are nearest, the brain is tricked as your side view is filled (like on a curved screen) so that gave me this idea: I put my rig really near the projector screen so nearly all my field of view was filled with the (unrealistic) projected cockpit, and then I put my monitor right in front of me with the duplicate cockpit image (both image was exactly the same). The monitor light was stronger than the projected image so I didn't have any problem watching the monitor image, even if the projected image was send also on it. Then, when playing, I was focused on the monitor in front of me, and my surrounding field of view was filled with the projected image (I was really near the projected screen). My brain was "faked", the sides, left, up and right was showing the road and sky moving, and I even had some problem playing like this (I think we say motion "sickness" in English?) and that proved I was immersed. I know this seems stupid to play watching a monitor in front of view when you also have a projector sending the same bigger image behind the monitor, anyway I can ensure you the result was really good! I was like an enhanced Philips "Ambilight" system they have on some TV. Mmm, that's probably sound weird I guess, and it's hard to explain all this in English...