Driving in rain. Is it even possible right now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gkz, Jan 21, 2015.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Why wait when we can already have that ? our league runs live weather server and all our cars have soft, medium, hard, inter, wet -compounds - and are raceable under all conditions.

And iRacing is just a better marketing machine and their product appeals more to pick-up racers who want easy and simple access to a quick sprint race. Seriously, 24 hours of DAYtona was a joke - but people go "Uhh and ahh!!"

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Do others get cloud textures flicking suddenly to another map when using the realtime weather in rF2?

3. SeriousSpy

SeriousSpy Registered

I feel the same. :(

I just bought the game, it's really disappointing to find the wet physics almost impossible like this. In any car, it doesn't matter what it is, it's undrivable. Yes, I know they're supposed to be harder to drive in the wet, but this is insane!

I really hope this gets fixed, GTR2 and R07 had fantastic wet physics!

Also, how do I validate my copy of the game?

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I disagree regarding impossible in fact I've done several races in the rain with no problem in several different types of cars. Hell I had a an absolute blast in the Meganes on an ISR oserver in the rain at Philip Island. Even today I was testing an automated race configuration tool and ended up at Mid-OH chicane in the rain in a Spark F1 of all vehicles and stubbornly decided to go for it and was able to control the vehicle without issue but with a lot of restraint too. I went off track twice but that was due to a mistake the first time and pushing very hard to try to catch back up to the field. Before declaring things are impossible take the lead out of your shoes and learn how to balance a vehicle. Sorry but BS is BS.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This was September 2010, 4 1/2 Years ago...

6. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I hadn't race against AI in rain in this build. I've just tried Renault Meganes (ISI) in Interlagos, raining almost all the time.

First stuff I noticed is the AI cars use dry tyres whatever the rain amount falling. They don't stop for change tyres even under a hurricane.

Second stuff is pretty much annoying since the AI were 100% strength and I was able to lap 5 - 10 seconds faster than all of them. Now I can catch any slide in wet track (at least with Meganes) and can brake closer to the corner and push throttle earlier. AI is unable to use the same points.

Third point is I wouldn't pit stop for rain tyres otherwise I'd probably lap 20 seconds faster than them, no point.

Now I noticed huge difference from dry and wet tyres (15 seconds faster at least when wet track and using wet tyres).

Is there any way to force AI to use the correct tyre for any situation and, mainly, to make them faster on wet without they blow me in dry?

7. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yeah... It worked perfectly in 2004 and AIs pit at the right moment, for the right tyre. Quite shaming for 2012+ simulators if you ask me.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Careful now, you'll be dismissed as being a fanboy, troll, immature kiddie for disagreeing with the mob. I did some laps in the rain recently and the biggest problem other than it's unfinished is the tires heat up too much when sliding in the rain, IMO.

9. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I can't see too many problems (if any) in wet physics on the player's car. Actually is quite believable.

The problem is with the weird AI behaviour.

10. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Let's not forget GP4 and even GP3 had good and very useable wet weather racing against AI. It also had multiple pitstop stratagies that didn't need to be pre determined by the user, getting close to 15 years ago, so it's not an impossibility for ISI to get it right.
    I think ISI have the best AI in any race sim to date, just let down by pit stops and wet weather driving. It's a shame the progress in the AI seems to have almost stopped in the last few builds save for a few tweaks. If they ISI can add more 'intelligence' around the previously mentioned areas, it would be nearly perfect.

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Just performed a test under heavy rain and it failed (AI 100% strength)

a) AI cars went out of the pits with their default setup (apparently dry tyres) and were lapping 2m19seg.
    b) I went out for a lap with default setup and lapped 2min10seg, 9 seconds faster.
    c) Then I created a rain setup for me using wet tyres, soften the car all around, adjusted brake balance to rear and increased high height.
    d) Saved that setup and tested on track: 1min59seg, it worked perfectly for the human driver so.
    e) Assigned my rainy-setup to a specific AI: they started to lap 2m21seg, 2 seconds worse than other AIs.
    f) Then I was assigning my rainy-setup from on AI to the next, all of them lose 2 second per lap instead of get faster.

Conclusions:

1) The current wet physics (at least for ISI Meganes) are accurate, very believable and the car is very setup-sensitive.
    2) On the contrary of some previous builds, 910b looks correct regarding to human-player tyres behavior. Wet tyres allows much better car stability under rain.
    3) AIs, weirdly, are lapping fast with wrong tyre type.
    4) There is no correlation between a good setup and the AI laptimes on wet in the current build.

Update 1:

1) Run another test with dry track. Assigned wet tyres to AI and they get 1 second slower only.
    2) Or the AI tyre physics (wet/dry difference) are not implemented yet or the "ASSIGN" button to a specific AI is not working.

Update 2:

Actually it's track dependant. In Interlagos AI drives like idiot in wet, in IndianĂ¡polis they drive like being in dry. In one track I'm 20 seconds faster than them, in second track I'm 20 sec slower.

Please ISI correct it because currently it's quite useless. You don't have weather this way.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  12. stonec

stonec Registered

AI in rF2 uses the old rF1 tire model, wouldn't be surprised if wet weather physics acted much simplified and different on that model than for player tire physics.

13. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Just to participate that 930b seems to do nothing on it.

I've just performed 1 hour Clio Racing right now (Sebring) and when it starts to rain the AI keeps they very pace, being a bit slower even on dry tyres whilst my car was a spin / skidding fest.

It seems to be a track parameter issue because in certain tracks the rain really slows the same Clios down while in others they keep very fast.

14. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Is there a way to change a whole set of tire compounds in the pit HUD, instead of going having to go through all 4 in the heat of the moment?
    I would like to change from dry to wet tires with just 1 keypress, instead of 8.

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

2 clicks...

One click, to activate Symetric Settings

Second Click to change the tyre typ

;-)

16. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

I mean in the HUD while driving.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Ah, sorry, missreading...

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

You'll need more than 8 clicks actually, you need to call the pit menu, two downs then two rights for each tyre. Not very handy indeed. You could associate some wheel button to a macro, but here we go for one more software running on background. Or use a voice recognition plugin as last resort (there's one in this forum, never was brave enough to try though)

Weird thing is there's some mods that not allow the driver to use different rear / front tyre compound in the setup interface, but you can do that through pit menu when racing. :confused:

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah the pit menu SUCKS! I have been wishing for years for API access to the pit menu so I can make a plugin to let team mates remotely manage the menu for you.

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

+1!!!!