Driver mod : is this possible?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by JeDa, Aug 3, 2012.

1. JeDa

JeDa Registered

Hi,
    I was wondering if it is possible to create AI driver mods. I mean, we now have location mods (tracks) and cars mods. Imho it would be great to have an AI driver mod so that we could create from those three separate mods (AI driver, location and cars) our own combination for races or championships. An AI driver mod should consist of a list of AI drivers with their own drivingstyles, caracter etc. Perhaps it is possible to categorize them, for example "F1 drivers 90's", "WRC drivers", etc. The mod (or the driver info) should be created by the community (license issues).

The goal should be that we could pick the location of our choice (track mods), the car of our choice (car mods) AND the AI drivers of our choice (AI mod).

I think it would be fun to have (for example) in this mod a "virtual" Michael Schumacher with his own racing style, a virtual Ayrton Senna, a virtual Jim Clark, a Fangio, and let them race in the 1960 F1 cars on Spa.

Is this possible with the current build? Or can this be done? What do you think?

2. ROON

ROON Registered

It can be done. In fact, I was in a league where we raced AI representing our own teams against each other. The talent files for the AI determine what sort of driver they are: how aggressive they are on track, how fast they are, whether they're good sports or bad boys, if they'll crack under pressure from other cars or if they'll hold their ground, etc. With all those parameters you can carefully craft a file to model a real world driver, which is what we did. We basically ran a fantasy F1 league with a working market where we'd bid against each other to secure drivers, engines, chassis', etc, and then webcast a stream of them racing each other, with commentators. It's all a bit complex, but you can create a setup and force your AI drivers to use it, meaning you can dictate their strategy and overall pace.

It was pretty fun. Difficult to organise and execute, but worth it!

EDIT: I should note that this was all done in rF1, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done in rF2 as well.

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

To the OP: Very interesting idea!

It would be nice if there was a more user-friendly way to create AI, like with some dropdown boxes or sliders. Instead of fiddling with txt files. (Sounds a lot like trial and error to me that way)

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Interesting idea. Basically it would be like you are the team owner and you get to watch your drivers race and hopefully win :)

5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I would most definitely play this. In fact, I used to organize a NASCAR Racing 1999 manager championship for many seasons back in late 90s. Very fun indeed.

6. Fritzisbro

Fritzisbro Registered

They Have this facility in project cars, and i love tinkering with it...Now that would be great if we could have it in rfactor2 as well.

7. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

perhaps you could train the AI to drive like you do . . . wait that would be a ghost.

now who you gonna call ??

I think we should be able to ghost ourselves as well as anybody we race against online and play that ghost offline and even load that same ghost into another online game or replay.

I ain't afraid of no ghost.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
  8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

ghostbusters

9. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Im just gonna start spamming this into every post that even remotely is on topic.

Cam function into the rF2 like it was in Geoff Grammonds GP3. Random cam with action scene tracker, makes watching races pure awesomeness.

10. DeM

DeM Registered

I like the Idea and see it opens up many ideas for a race series. F1 Number one for pure Speed would make interesting

11. I don't see the added value! I just want to drive!

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Good stuff ROON, effectively making rFactor a race manager game. Never even considered that being an option (or possible), that's thinking outside the box for you.