Downtime expected Thursday 7/18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

so whats the go Tim...we are now 5 days into this problem and 1/2 our guys cant get onto the server ..yet server costs continue as normal

2. datanode

datanode Registered

I am really confused by all of this. Try changing the DNS servers on the machine to google. 8.8.8.8 and flush the DNS cache and try again.

In cmd prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

If the DNS your host uses updates slowly and has a large TTL for its own cache that is a problem with your ISP but this could circumvent that.

The only thing I would ever advise when changing DNS is to lower your own TTL (time to live - in cache before re-query) a few days before hand to 5 mins.

This doesn't stop other servers being slow to fetch the new records just forces clients not to cache the record for longer. Half the battle at least ;) (this is what isi can't help with, literally nothing to do with them)

I mainly use dig and tools as windows doesn't ever fit my needs for hosting, so if you can get tools like dig on your system you can check all of this yourself.

First of just try a flush see if it helps maybe the TTL was large? If not change the DNS server to a public one temporarily then do the same again flush it once more.

3. datanode

datanode Registered

p.s. I hope this helps you get going again :)

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Which are the server names, and what IP addresses should they resolve to? The server names I saw in the data traffic while logging in in the launcher were world.rfactor.net and commerce.rfactor.net, and I can ping them both without issues. On my system they both resolve to 165.225.150.2, which belongs to Joyent, Inc. However, login is still not remembered, and I can not see my account details in the Purchase tab even though I get greeted successfully when logging in in the Purchase tab.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I did an nslookup on my own server and on 8.8.8.8 and I get 165.225.150.2 for world.rfactor.net on both DNS servers. I still can't save credentials.

Is there anyone out there that can save credentials without a read only backup pre 7/18? If so, could they post what IP they get for world.rfactor.net and commerce.rfactor.net?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  6. datanode

datanode Registered

Hold on, I should be able to help you. If you change your hosts file. On windows it used to be

%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Stick the two domains you need in and update it to the correct DNS, I don't know what that is. I will try and find out remember to run the flush command and try pinging again and restart any apps.

7. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks Noel. I just fired off a question to rFactor support, so hopefully we can get someone from the development team to pop in here and tell us what is going on.

8. datanode

datanode Registered

Ah that is odd, I believe that the IP address from that lookup is correct.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Are ISI in holiday ? Somewhat dead feeling this forum with low up to zero response as activity in generall as well. Hmmm ? Hard to understand whats going on here. Is it me because of impatience or is it very slow evolving ?

10. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

It's mostly Tim and members of the internal test team who post on the forum. The developers are rarely here, and neither is the management. Gjon hasn't posted anything since February for example. In one way it's understandable as the devs are probably quite busy, but in another way it's frustrating, particularly in cases like this. My guess is that the developers are sharing their time between rFactor2 and other more important development projects, but don't quote me on that. :)

Back on topic: Hopefully this will all be fixed soon.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

However it doesn't feels good to me.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Most devs make no contact at all with the end users. So we should consider ourselves very lucky.

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

I't gives me a bit the impression of ignoring people. It was feeling better if the builds speak for themselves but unfortunaly the broken and unfinished parts are disturbing the whole feeling and i like rF2 the most of all sims because of its physic. If everything around was also impressive, i was more lucky but this dead forum doesn't let me feel better at all.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Dead? Tim is in here almost every day. You can't expect people to work over the weekend though and unfortunately this happened at the end of the week. So we have to type our passwords every time we connect. It isn't the end of the world until they figure out what went wrong with their migration.

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I tried yesterday after several days (not after the update) not using rf2 and everything went fine for me. The only difference I noticed is the greeting message which didnt include my last name, only quoted my first name.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hi folks, I haven't been able to get to the forum properly since my last post. Just letting you know they're aware some of you have a lingering issue from the server changes. They've mentioned putting out a new launcher exe. But the only question those of you with issues really have is "when?" And I don't have that answer for you yet. Thanks for your patience.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

17. 88mphTim

AFAIK it's only affecting those who may have tried to do something not possible due to the server change during the server change. But I'm not in the office to hear everything.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

I know, i'm not expecting someone should work on his weekend and i know Tim is trying to catch everything alone. Its like he is the last soldier. So you are saying its me. May you are right may not. :rolleyes:

19. GT_ONE

GT_ONE Registered

Me, I don't have any Log In problems, I have the server on my PC and there is no problem. But, the other pilots have Log In probelms and for the most part their PC wasn't open. Some of them lost their username.

20. 88mphTim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.