Download - All locations (torrent)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Abriel Nei, Aug 7, 2012.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't worry about me, I cracked another load-cell JB. lopl

I don't think it is whining, maybe if I keep it up I get more people that are interested and have similar ideas
    to mine. Looking ahead when rF2 realroad and hdr and setups are finalized.

I am not against locations threads, other sites or using media fire but seems to me there is a lot of people put torrents down without having a reason to do so.

Torrents will disappear sure.
    Sites and all their downloads and other sorts of methods do the same sometimes.
    I fail to see the difference. ?

I agree with you JB many reasons why torrents or other downloads disappear.

Which is my point for keeping it up, I have had a fair few people tell me they like the idea.
    As I said and you see I do not have the bandwidth to do it myself or it would be less talkin' and more doin'
    ;)

It is not just torrents no matter what the download wouldn't it be great you can package 50 F3 setups, HDR and realroad as a example in one download all pathed to correct folders ?

Torrents make it easy to update the downloads, rather then 5/6 people updating individual track downloads the torrent can do it all one hit, once a week say.

A few of use are going to get a F3 EVE skins, setups, HDR , tutorials torrent going.

So anyone has good stuff please package correctly and pm me with it.
    Also make sure all setups have custom name and information box used please.

BTW How does sarcasm help , yeah I think I am really cool man.

ffs lol

2. John

John Registered

Well, start the torrent up then. You keep saying you have a slow upload - so what. Every initial seed of a torrent from a home PC is slow to start, but making excuses means it doesn't happen.

Put up or shut up - simples lopl

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree. Uploading a file takes time for most users. Some will have a higher upload rate than others but in general is usually slow. However, DD excuses himself because of it and throws the responsibility for other so that he can comfortably enjoy them. I personally don't like torrents (I actually hate them in fact). ISI made use of them at the beginning but for some reason they stopped using them for downloads.

This thread was interesting at a certain stage where lack of content was a fact. Now this has radically changed. Having all tracks in one torrent is just stupid IMO since the size will never decrease.

So as John said: DIY if you want but please quit trying to convince others about it. You start to get tiring, man

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Abriel Nei, have you ever heard of BTSync? It is sort of like DropBox but serverless by using the BitTorrent protocol. Basically you share a folder on your computer and it gives you a hash (kind of like a magnet link) which you then pass out to anyone who wants to sync to your folder. You can do a two way hash or a read only hash.

I think your all locations torrent would be a perfect candidate for BTSync. Basically you would just share your folder with BTSync and then generate a read only hash and paste it in this thread. The advantage is that people will not have to come here and redownload the latest torrent when a new track comes out. All you have to do is drop the new track in your folder and everyone automatically gets a copy... They would even get a popup notification that a new track just finished syncing. And just like the torrent, everyone that is syncing with your folder will also be distributing the bandwidth load. The only disadvantage that I can think of is it isn't easy for people to pick and choice which tracks they want to download. It downloads everything in the folder. There is a file you can edit on the client side that you can edit with a text editor to exclude files from syncing but this isn't that practical. The tool is still in development and they have been adding stuff frequently so maybe one day they will add a GUI for filtering or picking which files to sync. I personally don't mind having every track sync. It will take awhile to do the first sync but after that it will just be one track here and there. Harddrive space is cheap (as long as your cmps are on a rotating drive). I guess you could also offer a BTSync hash and a torrent for those that don't want to use BTSync.

If you want to read up on it you can look here:
    http://new.bittorrent.com/n70234j405/a/

I have been using it a ton lately for distributing things all over the place. It works great!

5. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I am tying out this BTSync so whoever wants to try it, here is the read only secret for all tracks (when you install BTSync copy and paste this into the "I have a secret" field, then point the download folder to your Packages folder):

B3HVVBST4G3OTWSDODO34PC573T6WNFM7

Be warned that it is not simple to selectively download and that there is around 10 Gb of tracks already.

I have added most (all?) of the new tracks but if there is any old track version or even missing track, please let me know.

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I am in for a test. It works somehow :confused:

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

In test, seems to work.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you click on the devices tab you will see all the people that are actively syncing this folder and you will also notice they all have a cloud icon. I am guessing this is because these people don't have there firewalls setup correctly? Make sure your router supports UPNP and if not, manually forward the correct port.

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

From my view you are the only one with a cloud icon. I forward the port and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That is interesting. I have several other folders that are syncing that devices with the direct icon on them.

I need to read up on the causes of the Cloud icon. I looked on my firewall ad you can see the openings from UPNP. Maybe I should hard map the port just to be safe.

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't understand why I can do direct connects to some devices but not all. Here is a screenshot. You can see that I have a few devices that are direct. I am guessing that cloud assisted connections will be much slower than direct.

[​IMG]

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I don't understand why I can do direct connects to some devices but not all. Here is a screenshot. You can see that I have a few devices that are direct. I am guessing that cloud assisted connections will be much slower than direct.

BTSync.png

13. Zizza

Zizza Registered

noel you have 1.1.69 version.... i have downloaded the program 5 mins ago and i have 1.1.48.... :confused:

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

They release new builds on the forum for a little while before linking to them on the main page and enabling auto update. If you want it now you can get it here:
    http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/19228-latest-sync-build-1169/

BTW, you are the only person in my device list for this share that has a direct connection. This is so odd.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Abriel, I noticed there is a dat file left over from your torrent client that is syncing. IT isn't all that big but I am afraid it will change often and get anoying. If you enable hidden files in explorer you will see a file in your packages folder called:
    .SyncIgnore

You can open that file and add this line at the end:
    Code:
    ~uTorrentPartFile*

I think you have to restart BTSync after changing the file but not real sure.

16. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Weird Noel, as far as I can see both your locations are indirect connections, all other are direct connections except one. Also from your picture you cannot connect directly to anyone except your own device if you look only at this share. Not sure what would be the cause that would allow you to connect to some and not to others.

17. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Also I don't have have any dat file there, must be something on your end.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The dat file is most likely hidden. Enable hidden files and you should see it. I am syncing to a brand new folder so the uTorrent temp file had to come from somewhere.

As for direct connects, I now have a direct connect from Zizza too. I ran a port testing tool and it shows most of the people as having open ports so it should connect. Very odd.

19. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I have hidden files enabled and I see only 1 folder (.SyncArchive)and 2 files (.SyncID and .SyncIgnore) other than the rfcmp files. Maybe that dat file is something that the BTSync creates?

20. Zizza

Zizza Registered

uhm strange...

I have the auto upnp active in my modem ... can be possible that depend on it?