(Donation task) Create track from kn5/fbx file

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Haris1977, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Hi there!

A friend from here (@redapg, and i should thank him publicly for all of his effort and time here:)) recently managed to create a (working) mod dev track from my Blender files. This is a local track, named Megara Race Circuit, that i always wanted to see in virtual racing :)

And i am close :)

Does anyone have the knowledge (and the will) to help here and modify some of the existing moddev files as i do not have the knowledge for it?

There will be a donation for this task

Current track is driveable but only rudimentary in Terms of Quality. The main job - for anyone interested in helping here - will be to "replace" and "add " objects to this Track, that have been created in Blender and are exported in AC *.kn5 format (fbx normally should work too).

If this is not doable, a convertion from kn5 (or fbx) file to rf2 standards may be better

And the future target is, to get a good looking track, that uses the latest Standards :)

@redapg you can always take part in this thread oc

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    redapg and Corti like this.
  2. redapg

redapg Registered

At first: @Haris1977 has full Permission from the original Modder, that made the Track for AC.
    What i did so far is, to get a basic Track into the DevMode, on that you can drive.
    But nothing is "polished", neither the Meshes/Shaders/Material Settings, nor the AIW, CAM, some Entries in the GDB....
    And there have to added/replaced Objects, that Haris did make new or did improve the existing ones.
    Another Problem, at least for me, is, that the Source is Blender 3.1.2, that i don't use and also don't want to learn, where the rF2 gmt Exporter from @Traveller does not work, what makes it laborious to get the rF2 gmt.
    So what i did make so far is made from an AC kn5 File, exported from Blender.
    I don't have the Time to do more, besides of my own Projects and, as said elsewhere already, i also want to avoid further Discussions with my Girlfriend, about the Time that i spend with this Hobby, instead of spending it with her. ;)
    So if someone is interested....... :)

Corti and Lazza like this.
  3. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Thanks Chris for the clarification :)

Also you should spend more time with your gf, trust me :p

Corti and redapg like this.
  4. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

The files are from Blender 3.3.1.0 and it isn't a problem. You can open the files in the older Blender, or copy & paste into the older Blender.
    I helped him and delete over 200.000 vertices, many modells remeshed, started with low poly tires etc, but i told him, that's to much to do's on that conversion.
    Hope you can find a people or some peoples, that can help you.

Export: you can export it as a fbx file and import it on 3dsimed. That's a good way.
    Good luck.

5. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

6. redapg

redapg Registered

The Blender File that i've gotten was in 3.1.2 and that could not be opened in a former Blender Version, for that the Exporter Script for rF2 gmt would probably have worked for.
    Anyway, as long as there are other Ways to get rF2 gmt Files out of it, it is doable, but the direct Export as gmt Files is, of course, always the quickest.
    And as also said, i didn't want to learn Blender.
    I normally work with 3DSMax, which can be used much easier/more intuitivly than Blender, in my Opinion.
    Blender, for me, is much too complicated and laborious to handle.
    In the Meantime, i also got a Mail from another Track Builder, that also has taken a Look at it already and that also stated, that to get a good looking and working Mod for rF2 out of it, means a lot of Work.
    So everyone who searches for a new Challenge, is welcome. :)

7. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Don't have much to add here, only regarding Blender and forward compatibility (in sense of getting 3.3 objects in 2.79b): To get your model into an older version of Blender, you can just start a new file in 2.79b (example) and append objects from another file (from 3.3 for example). Of course if you used some of the version 3 features, you may get an object that appears different in old version of Blender. However, I think you can apply modifiers etc. first before appending these objects into a 2.79b file ;) Oh, don't forget to work with separate copies to not mess up your project! :confused:

Haris1977 likes this.
  8. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

First of all thank you all for this participation :) i appreciate this

Now about this project: the best solution i think is basically to have a finished project in my hands so that someone can work freely on it. I m now working in Blender to finish it.

I think it will be ready in few days

As i said, because my final project was a mess (and i guess a cpu / gpu nightmare because of my hundreds high poly objs), i started working on my 'original files' (which only had basic structure objs) by slowly adding more (low poly) stuff. There was a misunderstanding with @redapg in this point, so i have to apologize again.

Working with Blender though (or any other 3d prog) i do have some questions (about how the 3d app connects with rf2 code in terms of performance). Here are somes if someone knows:

1) Let s say i have 10 objects in my scene that all use the same texture file. Does rf2 code handles them as 1 texture? Or as 10?

2) Is it better to join obj together or leave them as individuals? What s better in terms of performance?

3) A question to @redapg: I really liked the start-finish red green light sequence. Is this a file from your dev files that next modder can 'use' (by copying it) or is it smth that should be programmed from beggining?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

@Haris1977 To your Questions:
    1) Yes, rF2 handles that with 1 Texture for all Objects that use the same one.
    2) It should be "balanced", to avoid to have too many Instances but also too big (MB) gmt Files.
    Here is one Statement from the Dev Information about it:
    We probably do not want too many objects bigger than around 15k tris or in the region of 3mb file size, although it maybe necessary. We should certainly keep file sizes beneath 10mb / 50k tris.
    You can find it HERE and you get more Information on the Pages to that i have pointed you already. ;)
    3) Yes the Startlight, where i did add the Light Glows and it's Setting, can be used from other Modders, no Problem. ;)

10. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Thanks for the suggestions mate :) Can you pm me what files do i need to keep from your files for the startlights?

11. redapg

redapg Registered

12. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Yeap, thanks ;)

13. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Gday! :)

I m finalizing things by adding some cosmetic stuff like advertising banners and crowd

Quick question about my dds texture images size: Can i use a size like 136 x 40 ? (both numbers can be divided by 8).

Or should i only use numbers like 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 etc for both image dimensions?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  14. redapg

redapg Registered

I've told you that already, it's this: ;)

15. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Yeap i forgot it (too many info):D even though i m gonna have some proportional issues..:oops:

btw @redapg you have mail about the new aiw file

16. redapg

redapg Registered

Do you get Texture Distortions, if you replace a 136 x 40 Texture with a 128 x 32 (for Example)?

EDIT I better should have asked: do you get in Game Texture Distortions, if you resize a 136 x 40 Texture to 128 x 32 (for Example)?

17. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Well i might have (some banners do have strange aspect ratio), but i will try to insert the nearest values possible. I will have to check it

18. redapg

redapg Registered

Just resize them, without to cut them, that should work, to keep the in Game Appearance.

19. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

I will :)

20. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Gday to all!

Finally the big day is here: my (new) project is finished :) (at least on my end)

I tried to replicate the real track as much as i could, based on numerous photos (aerials + normal), videos and personal experience

Few info about the track: The 'Megara Autodrome - Athens Circuit' - is the first car track created in Greece on the outskirts of the city of Megara. Just 35 km from the center of Athens, 5 minutes from the Attica Odos exit in Elefsina and 700m from the suburban railway station. It has easy access, through the uneven junction of Pachi – Megara of the New National Road of Athens – Corinth at the 41st km. It has a total length of 2100 m, average width = 11 m, and total area of coverage = 20 hectares :)

Track site (for anyone interested) : http://www.athenscircuit.gr/

As the old project was a mess (and surely a massive fps eater) here is a stat comparison between the old (on the left) and the new one (on the right)

[​IMG]

As you may see this is a huge difference!!

In an attempt to allure possible future modders, here are some Blender screenshots of the track:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, if anyone can spend some of his free time and is interested on creating a full working track (with latest ibl/pbr materials if possible) from a kn5 or fbx file, plz let me know :)

As stated earlier, there will be a donation for this

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Emery and Corti like this.