Does sliding the car get punished in Rfactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I tested the Mc Laren MP4-12c in iRacing without TC and ABS on Bathurst and it wasn't that bad at all, it was even pretty easy actually.

I fail to understand why some people think a GT3 should be hard to drive, they aren't meant to be hard to drive, they are meant to be hard to push to the extreme limit without losing time, not exactly the same thing. There is even a "Gentleman Driver" competition, isn't its name explicit ? You never saw a "F1 Gentleman Driver" serie, or a Formule Renault...might be for a good reason.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  2. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

It doesn't decrease realism. I hate TC and ABS, takes away skills.
    I would use it IRL but not in a game.
    Cars in RF2 are not difficult to begin.
    I have no problem getting rotation.

3. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Well they aren't hard even when going over the limit in RF2. Looking at ACC and iracing that would be how difficult real cars would be when pushing Hard.
    You think iracing is unrealistic hard but i would pick unrealistic harder game anyday over unrealistic easier one.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Yzangard Thats hardly relevant to what I was attempting to express in hopes to be understood.

Easy vs hard discussions has next to zero matter and meaning in discussions of realism and physics, unless you really put a proper reference to picture what exactly makes the action easy or hard. Otherwise, I have no idea whats easy or hard to you. And I'd say having a more challenging and still perfectly drivable car isn't that much of a difficulty to me, but rather just a tasty spice which additionally is true and not just what I happen to like more.

I go great lengths to try to picture what physically happens with cars and tires and how IMO it compares to reality. Plain Easy vs Hard discussions won't move me.

TL;DR rant time!!!!
    Why people are so non-observant these days ? Where did the curiosity and enthusiasm go ? Where did people stop building their bodies of understanding and knowledge ? Everyone wants to be told stuff by some certified professors or data outputs, no one wants to observe and think !

I think it all comes from universities. You can not sell thinking ! Universities are shops of being told what to think, what to know and memorize it. People don't try to think themselves anymore. Someone with certified reliability must tell it all !

P.S. I know perfectly what gentleman racing means. I am big fan of such racing, and its my favorite type of racing. It doesn't mean that people there are unskilled and can't cope with anything slightly demanding. It is just same racing but with more mature and less egoistic attitude, aimed more for having some nice racing action and respectable fights, and less of gladiator angry track fights that would have been considered attempted murder before safety sky rocketed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Bruno Gil and Nieubermesch like this.
  5. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Than why don't you pick them?
    And if you prefer harder cars, why do you harp on the easy cars to drive?

Simracing is typically an outlet for those who can't afford to race on the track, and a precious few who have in their younger days. Simracing will never be a true substitute for on track racing in a 3-5 layer firesuit, instantaneous G-forces, the smell of racing fuel, hot brake pads or tires. You won't hear the sound of the brakes as they age. You won't feel the draft of a GTP car passing you with a closing speed of 70 MPH. You won't experience ditch-hooking on tighter turns after the groove in the dirt is dug out a bit. The list of real experiences are endless.

However with rFactor2 you can enjoy the most realistic sim and IMO the only true readily available sim on the market. And yes, with the right cars rF2 does a fabulous job of replicating tire punishment.

I'm very much getting the impression you're a troll trying to lobby for a less realistic feeling from rF2.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  6. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Because i like GT cars as much as i like older cars. I'm not trolling, i genuinely want physics to improve.
    Also i don't generally use car mods unless i'm sure of its quality.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think we could do without witch hunting. We all know when it was popular, and how much physics knowledge average citizen used to have back then.

here is some footage from popular documentary movie about those times

Hey, you posted as I waswriting this, @Slip_Angel how do you get sure of mods quality if you don't use mods ? Let me answer. You listen to what people talk and recommend. You don't try them yourself and make sure it that way, don't you ?

Bruno Gil likes this.
  8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

So why are you lobbying to ruin the physics?

Bruno Gil likes this.
  9. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Ruining? i guess you are trolling now lol.

10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I try them out but don't use them any further because i didn't not like them.
    Today i'm going to try flat 6 mod and alpine. my expectations are low but i will judge them by the same standards i judge paid content by S397.
    This is unfair for mods but i don't keep the stuff i'm not impressed by and this SOMETIMES includes S397 DLCs as well.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think this thread went bananas.

I know John is very invested into how current content rF2 car tires works, such as recent Zero electric something car with magic tires. Obviously trying to promote ideas that oppose such tire logic is ruining the physics. I am certain thats full reasoning. You are the witch, to prove that,@Slip_Angel, I bet you would weight as much as a duck on "certainly" well calibrated scales.

@Slip_Angel Hey if you like 50s and 60s cars, then try 1954 and 1967 car packs later this year. Also perhaps something more, hopefully.

12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

TCS will in my view always have the effect of reducing the cars tendency to rotate.
    Without TCS the rear wheels will be delivering the raw power to the ground as dictated by the throttle. With more power being directed to the wheels there is less contact patch for lateral grip hence more oversteer than otherwise. TCS kills that and once traction is lost the rears lose power and presto you have push understeer (less rotation).
    When you set up a car with TCS you need to make it more pointy as TCS will dull that a bit. A neutral car will become an understeery one when TCS is switched on.
    Getting to why it's used?
    (Just opinion here).
    In endurance racing over many hours driver aids will help cars finish the race. Conversely in sprint racing the racing is better without TCS or ABS (see F1). Instead of just pinning it and letting the TCS manage wheelspin the driver has to get it right and the subsequent "micro errors" mean opportunities to overtake.
    A second reason is money vs driver skill. Many wealthy gentlemen drivers are on their limit and need a car to be manageable. So assists in the series can mean more entries.
    For example Ferrari slowed down their steering rack to make it more manageable for the gentleman owners.

Bruno Gil and Slip_Angel like this.
  13. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I don't understand are you being sarcastic to me or john ? or is it something else?

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think Walter Rohl has said, or Albert Einstein, I am not sure who.... "For me driving starts when I steer car with throttle pedal, instead of the wheel"

Of course he is rally driver, or a physics scientist.... don't know which one. Anyway, TC kind of doesn't mix with this technique. But cars used to be different back then. It is easily observable. With modern race cars as sticky as they are any sliding probably means loosing time, as much as I can observe. I also like to use a word "observe" a lot, I haven't observed others using word observe very much, neither I observed evidence of others truly observing real stuff, but rather beign too much focused in simulation and forgetting to check the real thing.

15. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Perhaps.

After you've actually driven a GT car and spent $10,000 or so on tires you'll understand why I question your intentions.

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Doesn't they spend hundreds of thousands to be fastests on races, but they limit themselves IRL because the tires are to expensive, so they rather save 1/500 of their whole expenses and be slower ? Thats a good logic.

I have better solution, everyone start using hard durable tires that would last few races, like in 60s. But laptimes will suffer, so that not good :( Not gonna enjoy racing with three seconds slower cars :(

Nieubermesch likes this.
  17. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Oh yes because the way these cars are setup and driven is totally realistic.
    I don't know how much broken a thing has to be for some of you guys to notice lol.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You don't understand, man.... It is not broken if it is easy. Easy is good - it is easy, it means it is not hard. Hard is not necessarily realistic. Easier = improved. Harder = ruined. Thats the realities of simracing. And everything is just easy/hard, there are no physics, just easy and hard sliders. And easy is always a positive thing, very easy is very good, there is no thing as too easy, too forgiving. You should never doubt yourself and think that you shouldn't be able to do this. You should think that you should be able to do better and some circumstances are holding you back, thats true racers mentality. Take this blue pill and be happy. Stop investigating and searching for an end of the rabbit hole. It is majorly unnecessary and no one will thank you for doing it.

Sorry for this gaslighting haha.... of course it is all just sarcasm^, just telling not to appear that much insane haha

ISI come back for physics, please.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Nieubermesch likes this.
  19. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ahahahaha, you surely got me there for a moment :D:D:D

mantasisg likes this.
  20. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Do you have the 911 GT3 Cup car?

If you do, could you do a few laps of S397’s Nurburgring?

Not the Nords layout, just the GP or 24hr Support layout.

I’d love to know your thoughts and your laptime.

Standard setup and your tweaked setup comparison would be awesome.

Bruno Gil likes this.