Display Freeze, Game Still Running

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by chops, Nov 30, 2020.

1. chops

chops Registered

**Update**
    I checked the windows event log and found driver crashes for nvlddmkm. This is the nvidia driver. I dialed back the GPU overclock about 10% and have been stable in RF2 ever since. I've read from other people on the internet that different games can be stable or not of their own accord. With those RF2 overclock settings, The Witcher crashes for me with the same nvlddmkm. I turned the GPU OC off completely and the witcher is stable. So this was my solution, less GPU overclock.
    --------

Hoping someone who has dealt with this can lend some guidance. I am experience crashing of the screen in VR headset and on the mirrored IPS screen but the game is still running. I still have control of the car and can hear the audio, but all I see is the static screen on which it froze. No error messages. I'm able to force quit rfactor2 and fire it up again and begin running without issue.

I am unable to consistently replicate the display freeze. I can run for 2hours straight and then it will crash. I haven't had a crash in offline mode. I often will run 40AI. The crashes I have had have been all online. I don't have tracking issues or jumping in the headset. I don't experience any slingshotting before the crash that I am aware of, there is no warning, it just freezes.

Valve Index - Mirrored display in windowed mode at 1280x720
    Other applications running: -NVIDIA GFORCE Experience -Discord -Teamspeak -Steam VR

System: Ryzen 7 2700 -Overclock - 4.05ghx @ 1.344v - Running 4cores - Stable on OCCT stress test 30minutes. Max temp 69C

Memory Stress Test 16GB RAM 3200mhx CL14 - 9,9,9,24 timing OCCT Memory Stress Test - Stable for 30minute run, no errors

EVGA 2080ti XC ultra - Overclock EVGA Precision X1 - 850Mem, 100Clock - Stable on Unigen SuperPostion, Heaven, 1 hour runs, no errors. Max temp 75C

EVGA 750G3 PowerSupply - Ran OCCT power load test. 100% CPU, 100% GPU, - stable for 30min test, no errors, max draw around 450W.

RFactor2 Settings - Low everything Ingame CTRL-C usage 100% GPU 40-50% CPU (40AI, dark, rain)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. der_Alix

der_Alix Registered

Hi all,
    I got the same problem now twice. Once a few months ago, the other one yesterday. Both times during an online race. I ran about an hour without any problems, no lags (30 cars in LeMans) or anything else. After the pitstop while braking to T2 the screen froze, I could hear the car, heard tire squeal while breaking, my teammates saw me running through the gravel, but I still only had the frozen screen. After maybe 15 seconds the screen came back, me standing in the gravel and I could go on racing without any further problems! When the issue happened no other car has been around me.

i5 4460 3,2GHz 64bit 8GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    LAN by wire, stable connection
    Rfactor2 ReplayRecording off, no datarecording running

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Alex

3. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

Similar issue in single player mode at LeMans. When access Task Manager I saw the following, also attaching trace file. This issue happened on three different occasions. My system is current Windows and drivers.
    upload_2021-8-23_16-11-15.png

Attached Files:

4. Glyn Cooper

Glyn Cooper Registered

hello Ive started having the same issue freeze for about 10 secs then comes back. I only race online and Ive race with the Index for many years without fault. I run a 3070ti and a 12h Gen Intel i7 32 gigs of mem.

Has anyone figured this out?