Differential: Amount of power or amount of lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JParra, Oct 13, 2023.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

I was recently asked a question that I was surprised I couldn't answer with all my years of experience in rF and that in the thread of this same forum (in Spanish) we all agree, but I think the confusion is due to a possible interpretation of the language.

I have always understood, and this is how I feel it in the simulator, the setting as "differential lock" that is, the higher the value, the less the differential acts and the lower the speed difference between the wheels.

But the summary explanation of the game itself at that point implies the opposite, that is, "amount of power that is applied to the outside wheel."

Can you clarify for us if it is a translation or interpretation problem?

Thank you.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Of all the things I don't know, I probably don't know the most about differentials (relatively to how much there is to know). Would be nice to have differentials explained a bit better and more often in various topics.

As much as I understand the power setting is about locking diff up to certain percentage of torque difference when system is accelerating. Coast is same just for deceleration. Preload is like default base at which diff itself has enough friction/resistance to keep equal torques on both sides. And then there is even harder to understand Diff Pump setting which seems to be about wheel speed difference rather than torque difference, and IIRIC it works somehow in between power and coast, but I really understand so little of it, also probably not that many diffs has this system.

Would be great if someone who knows the diffs really well would explain these things.

Also I am sick of looking for differentials data when researching physics. There usually is almost none, and I would like to know tips how to reverse engineer them if it is possible.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're confusing yourself with words, which is pretty easy to do.

Under power, the outside wheel will have more load and grip, so the inside wheel will spin faster. Transferring torque to the outside wheel will slow down the inside wheel and speed up the outside wheel - so their speed is more similar.

It's exactly the same thing you're saying: that a more locked diff will reduce wheelspeed difference.

JParra likes this.
  4. JParra

JParra Registered

Now I understand.
    My confusion is that, in my imagination, I was starting from a locked differential and if I accelerate the outside wheel, I increase the difference between the wheel speeds.

But in reality, if you think that the car is really turning when it acts, the inner wheel that travels fewer meters with less load, rotates faster than the outer one and therefore accelerates the outer one, equalizes the speeds or what is the same, reduces the difference in speed between both wheels (more locked), which is the concept that was clear to me until now.

Thank you very much Lazza for this master class. The differential itself is already difficult to understand, so in a language that is not your native language, a slight concept can become very complicated.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Even English-only-speaking people reading and discussing in english find this confusing, so don't worry :p

I recommend lots of googling! (the only hard part is ignoring all the game-related sites/advice; but after that there's a lot of really useful real world info)