Deliberate brake testing on MP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

I had 'brake testing' done on me today coming out of a slow corner on Silverstone in the F2. We'd actually left the corner and were at the bit where you plant your foot on the accelerator and this person decided to apply some brakes, I clipped him but managed to swerve around him and we continued, but it was totally unnecessary. Luckily we both continued.

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I wouldn't laugh it off, I'd just wreck you. :)

3. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

This may sound silly.

But what is this, denied tow?

Explain it to me as I was stupid and.. well just stupid. Explain this tow thing. I dont understand what's being done in that.

I know what you do when you tow a car when it's broken down or something like that. Are we talking about slipstream slang or what?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep. The other guy wanted to use this one to gain speed down the straight and improve his laptime. Unfortunately for him this one quite reasonably wanted to stay out of the way during his outlap while he was getting up to speed.

This one's apparent 'mistake' was to then get up to speed - making the other think he was now going to use his tow in order to gain speed. So doing exactly what was denied of him earlier.

Of course the other driver has assumed that's the case and taken action despite not knowing for sure, and having made his mind up will probably not be able to see it from the other perspective.

On the other hand, we don't know (except by his word) that this driver wasn't selfishly just aiming to get a tow and was guilty as charged ;)

*(A better response might have been to just do the same as the OP did; move aside and let him past. That way if you're wrong about their intent you at least haven't done them any direct harm)

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I am taking online racing very seriously indeed. Way too seriously even? Who's to say. This was a big deal for me, because I always try to be fair and clean when racing.
    But I respect your opinion of course.

I know. Not discouraged at all, believe me. I just found this incident so bizarre that I had to share it with someone. :)

What ever community he's part of, where getting brake checked at full speed after moving clean out of the way of someones hotlap... I don't think I want to be part of that. ;)

And yeah he made it pretty clear that he thought I was a douche and then some. ;)

As already mentioned several times, I did not deny you the tow; I moved out of the way so you could pass me and get on with your lap.

I did this out of courtesy, because I wasn't up to speed in that particular car on that particular track.
    After you passed me, I started pushing a bit, to see if I needed to make setup changes, and to see if I could in any way keep up with you.
    My intent was not to repass you, because that would have ruined your run. I'm not like that.

The fact that you assume the worst about me, and all you can think about is a denied tow..
    Well. I'm just gonna stop myself here.

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

"deny the tow"
    lmfao

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Not read much of the posts, based on the OP video alone the guy in front either made a severely poor judgement or was being a silly to have suddenly hit the brakes in that situation at all. If he intended to slow down and let someone past you just lift off the throttle....braking like that and in such close proximity and with such high speeds is almost guaranteed to cause and accident and it would be entirely his fault for causing it so.

8. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

NEVER BRAKE-CHECK...

A few years ago I was driving home and was in the fast lane on the freeway at night doing 80mph. Then I noticed a motorcycle in my rear-view with his high beams on riding my ass. I was really pissed and though "what an asshole" so I was thinking about brake-checking him... then all of a sudden.... he turned on his red and blue police lights and started to pull me over.... I was so glad that I didn't do it, or I probably would have gone to jail, I'm sure of it. The cop turned out to be very nice, he gave me a speeding ticket but did not impound my car (it had expired tags and insurance lol). I thought about telling him about my impulse to brake-check him and that he REALLY shouldn't ride peoples ass at night.. but didn't want to piss him off. Anyway the impulse to brake-check someone has never crossed my mind since.

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

At first, I thought you regretted the thought because you could have killed someone, but NOPE!

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lmfao!

11. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

ROFL... yes that too. Forgot to add that. Also this was before I got a motorcycle and learned that all people that drive cars are brain-dead careless idiots.

12. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

loool :) :) :)

Sent using MyKey BOARD 9000

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

He intended to cause an accident - he even admitted it afterwards.

14. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Then why did he move to the right when you were going off track on the left?

15. Tony

Tony Registered

Timpie, you have read the OP? ..relevant bit from it above

nb. I keep trying to work out the bad word, but I think there are too many asterisks for what it might've been :D

Also I think this thread is pretty much done & dusted now as well - Manny had had a bad hair day & wanted to kick something.. & along came hexa :p

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Take a look at the video again:
    He slams the brakes to make me swerve, then he moves to the right to avoid getting hit.
    Gotta hand it to him, he sure knows proper brake checking! Bit of an art form, it seems. :D

17. evphelps

evphelps Registered

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn...

18. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

ill brake check a car on the highway up my arse but never a bike (or truck for that matter lol)

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Brilliant retort, sir. Good on you.

20. sg333

sg333 Registered

You know what we need? Indicators. :p

(Actually somewhat serious - in some racing they are used as a passing indicator - staying left/right or pass left/right)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.