Deliberate brake testing on MP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

So I had this experience the other day...

First let me say that the rF2 racing community has seldom let me down.
    The level of skill and sportsmanship is almost always top notch. Me coming from the Codemasters' servers and other arcade games, this is like entering another universe.

Here you can trust the other racers. The majority are gentlemen on track and I'm really enjoying myself.

But then this happened: I was racing along on the ISI Historics server around a week ago, in the qualifying session. Only myself and one other driver, who will remain nameless, were on track, Brianza.

I was on my first outlap, checking out the car, warming up my tyres.
    The other driver was approching from behind, and I made sure to let him by, in case he was on a hotlap.
    He got by without problems, and we went on our way, me 200 meters behind him starting the next lap.
    I was curious as to my pace compared to his, so I pushed to see if could keep up, with no interest in passing him again, or even taking advantage of his slipstream.
    I just needed to know how far off my setup was.

When we got to the straight leading down to Parabolica, going close to full speed, he then decided to brake test me.
    As per the video, well, I went off.

These cars don't like it when you panic, stomp the brakes and swerve, obviously...

He then told me I was a ******** for having "denied him the tow earlier" and that I deserved what he gave me.
    He obviously meant when I moved over to not ruin his lap. He didn't even deny that he had brake tested me.

This incident has really stuck on my mind, because I haven't seen this sort of behavior before on these servers.
    People are usually very fair and professional. The fact that the other driver decided to "retaliate" after I had moved over for him was quite shocking actually.
    I've been crashed into many times, but never deliberately.

Well I just had to vent. Post your opinion if you have one. :)

2. RJames

RJames Registered

Unfortunately it's just the nature of any sort of online gaming. Best to just ignore them.

I know in the past some people think they have the right of a slipstream to boost their laptimes which I found funny the best is when they moan that you pull away from them and they couldn't slipstream.

Thankfully in this and other community's the number of numptys is quite low.

3. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Spoiled brats, spoiled brats everywhere.

You did nothing wrong. He just took "you didn't help me, I shall make sure I won't help you" approach. However he went a little further and decided to ruin your lap instead of just not helping.

People tend to forget that some individuals tend to transfer real life frustrations into gaming universe. This guy I think can well be an example of that.

I have an advice, pro tip if you will, for the guys that are like the one from that clip. If you're having ****ty day don't go online to make others miserable. Keep your frustrations to yourself.

Hexagramme don't discourage yourself after seeing displays like that one. There is always 1 douchebag in 10 people group but it means that they are still 9 well-behaved, nice guys. Don't let 1 guy spoil your fun. :)

4. Tony

Tony Registered

Yea hexa, an unpleasant little episode ..rare though

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Maybe its more about expectations. the guy may have assumed gentlemanly slipstreaming was the thing to do, he might be in a community where that sort of thing is done all the time and assumes its the norm everywhere.
    So from his perspective he maybe felt cheated out.....and then you started slipstreaming him :p

I've seen some odd things online through the years, different people approach racing differently and there seems to be quite a few pov's on what should be done.
    Easy enough to assume he's a douche but for all you know he thought you was the douche hehe.

Good show not naming the guy though, keeps things civil :)

6. evphelps

evphelps Registered

LOL!
    I noticed you did not show where you see me leaving the pit after your outlap,or where you clearly deny me the tow.
    What a hypocrite you are...

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This is normal in pubbies. That's why I don't race on them. I have had people use me as a braking zone knowing that the damage was set low so they could get by easily. Happens all the time. The brake check thing is pretty sneaky so props to the A-hole for originality.

This is the most self-entitled thing I have ever heard. Wow.

8. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Deny a tow? WTF?
    Open server TWAT, IMHO. Great motivation to join a league and simply bypass the issue of the likes of that.

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I was racing Meganes yesterday and leading a race after few laps in ISI server when somebody hit me full throttle when I was braking to a slow corner. This really pissed me off because I rarely lead anything :p after that the rammer guy just exited, no sorries. I really hope to see more leagues to race in. Fed up of these random rammers.

10. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

11. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Maybe he wanted to let you by.

12. sg333

sg333 Registered

Really, if you're making a thread about such a minor thing, you're taking online racing way, way too seriously.

13. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

+1

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Jerry, your avatar, why so sad?

15. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Out of big macs :(

16. tjc

tjc Registered

That would make me happy... :p

17. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

And thats why you´re a healthy guy and i´m a sad clown.

18. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Or maybe online racing is not that great if things like that are to be "understood". At least Ai sucks in the same way every lap.

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

It's online, public server racing. The best response to *any* incident is just laugh it off. If I thought every time I made an oopsie in an ISI server someone would get mad and curse me out on the forum, I'd never join a race.

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, the public servers are bound to take the fun out of racing because of these things happening.

I was just in the F2 ISI server, end of the race and waited. While people are still driving, they start voting (I hate that because when you're behind, you don't have the chance to finish the race and you could be in a nice fight for -lets say- P6).
    Now the vote didn't make it, so again, restart race......while there are 9 "newcomers" in the hallway waiting. Now that's a drama just waiting to happen, right? I don't want to start a race when I didn't drive the car or track a few laps first.
    The vote didn't make it. Next vote, same thing.
    So I went: "lol, this is going nowhere :)"
    Some nice guy just answered: "have a little patience will you!"

Ehh, nice......was just a remark and I am used to be misunderstood, but hey, come on.
    The server moved on automatically and the 15 minutes of qualifying was there.
    I just got out of the game, seat and started watching a movie. I mean; come on......just a little remark and a guy bites you, pffffff......thought I was taking it to serious, but this.....eh......don't like racing at that moment.

This just ads up to the things happening in a public server; every time you go in there, there's something "wrong". If you take the game serious, no public servers is best I think.
    I tried once again and......NO ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.