[REL] Dallas Karting Complex 1.3

Discussion in 'Locations' started by PlickBadger, Apr 28, 2014.

1. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Yep, I agree. I'm working on v1.32 right now with softer edges.

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Sorry PB, no offence meant but imo neither oil stain looks realistic. The second just looks some kind of black mark that really shouldn`t be there...

If they look good/realistic to you and you want to keep them I reckon I`ll be using v1.2

:)

3. emha76

emha76 Registered

+1

4. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I don't take offense on any feedback. I had to completely redo the road surfaces and materials in version 1.3 in order to accommodate the other layouts.

I'm trying to make v1.32 look more like v1.2 - so I'd like to get some feedback on what you think

How does this look?

View attachment 12567

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Better! But I would still go a few more steps towards less difference between the marked area and the rest of the asphalt (that appears to be brand new or close to brand new).

The problem is distinguishing between rough spots and the area that just has a few permanent tire marks embedded into it. If the surface of the rough area is as dark as the corner scrub marks, then it looks strange because it covers a much larger area than would be the case for those types of marks. The rough spots are not so noticeable in real life, and should not cover-up or mask or be so dark as to hide the real road build-up. Just a slight variation from the regular pavement surface tells your eye that it's not billiard table smooth. When you feel it through the wheel at the same time--sim heaven ;)

The rough area is usually only about the same size and position as the tire scrub area. Your "dark spots" stretch further--like the size of a replacement patch of asphalt if they were replacing a whole corner because at various spots throughout the corner there were imperfections. If we want just the imperfections, they could be smaller; not all in one big blob, and also more varied...some larger/deeper and some less so. There could also be some in braking zones at the end of the longest straights.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  6. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Marc, I do appreciate your input, but did you look at the sat imagery of the track. I'm trying to match the marks on the real track

View attachment 12569
    View attachment 12570

There's a point of diminishing returns and at some point, I've got to move on to another track. I've got several that I need to update.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow, I hadn't seen that! Very odd. Must be a Texas thing? Some sort of oil mixture poured over the rough spots to hold them together in the extreme heat???

I am going to go search for in-kart pics of the track as that is very unusual! Maybe the way you have it (test version you sent me) is fine?

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, take a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8po9W44Kc4

It must be some sort of chemical-based substance! But the tone difference is quite small and it is also on top of a track that isn't otherwise perfect pavement. Send along a test link if you want, but you are probably right that it's close as-is. Sorry, I have never seen anything like that up here in the frozen north ;)

There's also just shiny pavement from wear and lots of wear and tear on the curbs. That's for another time, though. I am sure everyone will be anxious to see what else you're working on.

9. brot

brot Registered

That is much better ;-)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

This, indeed, does look very much better PB... definitely heading in the right direction.

I`ve never seen anything like that before on any other track either, it does look a little strange for sure...

If you need another tester, drop me a line. :)

11. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Ok guys, I'm uploading release candidate 1.32. Who wants to test?

I will fix anything that needs to be fixed, but if the road and patches are at an acceptable level, I'll release it.

12. Twista

Twista Registered

Shoot me a PM and I'll give it a go tonight. :)

13. tjc

tjc Registered

14. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I wish to try too PB.
    One thing I notice watching videos of the Real track the darker patches reflect more light when the sun is reflecting on them compared to the track. Don't know if you have settings to do anything like that.

15. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

testers, you've got PMs - thanks for testing and please remember I'm just looking for a level of acceptability in the road textures, so I can put this one to bed and move on to my next track :)

16. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Thanks everyone for testing - seriously much appreciated!

1.32 released

on to MSR update next!

17. emha76

emha76 Registered

Damn, still looks unnatural. Sorry PlickBadger.

18. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Nothing to be sorry about - you could've participated in the testing. It's as natural as I'm going to make it. You might want to look at the real track, it's not very natural looking in real life either.

Feel free to enjoy the new version with all the extra layouts or version 1.2 with 2 layouts - it's your choice :)

19. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks for this, I appreciate your effort.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It is some sort of chemical sealer or something strange that they have put on the track likely to prevent excess deterioration in super-high temperature conditions (that are common in Texas). Those blotches in 1.32 are as close to the real thing as any other part of the visuals (main asphalt surface, grass, buildings, etc.), which are more than acceptable in my view. Not blow your socks off, but better than the typical third-party track.