CPU OR GPU Limited

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eltidi, Dec 11, 2014.

1. eltidi

eltidi Registered

Hi,

I'm trying to get the magic 60 fps min framerate with night racing and 29 AI. I usually fluctuate between 40 and 60 and it's not really enjoyable, the thing is I'm at a rock solid 60 fps until dusk and night where fps goes to the 40's, I have an r9 290 tri x coupled with a i5-760 @ 4ghz, anybody have a r9 290 with a better cpu to check if I'm being bottlenecked or is it that I just can't max everything with that GPU.

Thanks.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Check your cpu utilisation graphs in task manager during the 40 fps scenes. I doubt it's going to be the cpu causing the issue though since you say it's a graphical (lighting) change that's when the fps dip occurs, so i would guess it's just the graphics card.

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Really?

SAPPHIRE R9 290X Tri-X features the latest GCN (graphics core next) architecture from AMD with 2816 stream processing units and an enhanced engine clock of up to 1040Mhz. It is equipped with 4GB of the latest high performance GDDR5 memory on a 512-bit interface and now clocked at 1300 MHz (5.2GHz effective) delivering higher bandwidth than the reference design.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What i meant to say is that the dip from average 60 to 40 doesn't seem unreasonable because from memory, dusk scenes were more graphically intensive than day-time, hence the fps dip.

But he could do with a cpu upgrade to increase his fps performance across the board by getting an i5-3000 or higher series cpu and compatible mobo so he can use his card in PCI-e 3.0 instead of 2.0. Not sure how much an R9 290x would gain but i think it's somewhere between 10-20%.

I could be wrong but i don't think his day-time to dusk scenery change fps drop is caused by his cpu. If it is indeed the dusk that is more graphically intensive then logically it seems unlikely to be his cpu causing the fps dips.

5. smr_hot

smr_hot Registered

29 ia? for me is the cpu. it's easy to know where is the bottleneck. With gpu-z open, check gpu load. if you don't use vsync or limit fps, it must stay at 95-99%. if the number is bellow this, cpu is your limitation.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The 29 AI remains constant whether the scene changes from day-time (60fps) to dusk (40fps). So how can it be the AI?

I haven't actually tested myself but i doubt the TOD change increases cpu utilisation.

8. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Go to your settings and click on the options tab than you look for the misc tab, take a look if cpu time has a keybind if not make a new one (but remember you call this one up with CTRL) go to game where the frame drops start and click CTRL+the key you setup before and keep an eye out for the two bars in the top right corner. Pink/purple one is CPU load and the green one is GPU load. You can measure the box from left to right so leftside would be 0% of load and rightside 100%. if its on 100% or struggling the whole bar starts to spike up or down depends on the bar and there is your bottleneck. If you can run 29AI without problems its probably the gpu load(green bar). Just do some laps and keep watching the bars and how the behave/change on your conditions.

9. eltidi

eltidi Registered

I will try that and report back, using msi afterburner i think my GPU was always at 99%. My CPU is quite old but the 4ghz oc gave it new life and i wasn't having trouble driving the r9 290.

10. augiewaz

augiewaz Registered

Sorry for hijacking this thread but when I start up rf2 (practice or race), the green bar is at 100% and the pink/purple bar is around 25/33%
    After about 5 minutes, the pink/purple bar will be around 100%. I take it that all of this is not good but I have no idea what the issue is or how to solve it

What I have also noticed is that if I have both bars at 100% and I then set my car to be driven by the AI, the pink/purple bar will drop to around 10%. As soon as I turn this off and I am in control of the car, the pink/purple bar is back at 100%.

Any tips would be appreciated :)

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

There should be a setting somewhere in graphics configuration file to limit number of active headlights for AI / opponent cars.
    That could be the problem you're experiencing - not the time of day itself, but the fact that multiple cars turn on their headlights.

Other than that, the only thing that changes during day-night transition is the angle of shadows. This could also impact framerates to some degree, so decreasing shadow quality could be another thing you try.

12. eltidi

eltidi Registered

Ok I tested again and doesn't seem to be the cpu in the screenshot below you can see the gpu the green bar at 100% and cpu around 50%, I don't see in the graphical settings a setting for headlights, do I have to change on the ini files?

[​IMG]

13. stonec

stonec Registered

When AI drives your car it uses not player physics, but significantly simplified physics, so that's probable reason for the change in CPU use. Reason why the purple bar rises after 5 minutes is probably because all AI cars don't enter track at start of session, but gradually (assuming you have AI cars rubbering the track). You didn't specify CPU model, but this seems like a weak CPU issue to me.

14. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

CPU load looks good so its gonna be the gpu. Now you have diffrent options to get up to your 60fps. You can look into your player.json file in x:\rfactor2\userdata\player or whereever you installed your data path, and open it with an editor. You can look there for "max_headlights" and change the value, or you can even lower some of your ingame settings like opponent detail, reflection settings, shadows or anything. I think some people already posted a lot about which settings have the biggest impact on your performance maybe you take a look there, iam a bit too lazy now to find you the right link. But i would just suggest to you turn down some settings one click and it should work. Maybe its just one setting which screws up at night like shadows or reflections and i don't know if the default value for max_headlights was 256 from the beginning. maybe something has changed there also during the last builds.

15. eltidi

eltidi Registered

thanks, I will test some settings to see if I improve the min fps.

16. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Did you use the latest 14.12 driver?
    Btw when i tried night racing the cars didn't cast any shadow, is it normal?

That CPU can slightly bottleneck 280x, so it will bottleneck 290 too i guess.
    Care to download Unigine Valley and run Extreme HD preset benchmark to see if your system perform as it should.
    Sauce: https://unigine.com/products/valley/

17. eltidi

eltidi Registered

But if I was bottlenecked shouldn't the cpu be running at 100%??
    When I got the card I had that bottleneck in mind, I tried running several benchmarks and I was getting the same results as benchmark sites with that 290 model. I mean if somebody here has a radeon r9 290 and is getting much better results with the same settings, then yeah I could shell 500 € to upgrade but for that kind of money I want to see a dramatic upgrade, not 5 fps more.

18. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Maybe your CPU or GPU was throttling because of heat or something? Did you check the temperatures? I tried night race with 29 AIs(20 visible) and i get over 60fps most of the time except at the start of the race... but it didn't cast any shadow so maybe that's why i can get such fps.

Did you check the GPU usage? What is the driver version you currently using?

19. eltidi

eltidi Registered

I'm using 14.9, the gpu doesn't throttle it never goes beyond 75ºc, it's the tri x model, cpu is also below 65ºc I'm using an CM 212 evo cooler. Didn't try the omega drivers, did it increase your fps? are you running the same card?

I'm running 29 visible maybe I can lower that to 20. Also are you forcing AA with your card driver?

20. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Marginal increase for me when using Omega driver. No, i'm using HD7950 a.k.a R9-280 overclocked to 1050mhz when i ran the test.

I didn't force AA thru CCC, i only use game 6x AA@1080p. Did you forced Supersampling in CCC? Maybe that's the reason...