Copy/paste conversions infecting other sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Esteve Rueda, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Seems familiar to me :rolleyes:

What a shame...

Edit: just saw the guy "released" Eastern Creek, converted at least 3 tracks in few days days :eek:, people is awesome (in every sim).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A lot of rF1 content was from other games. Thing is for every person who refuses to use 'illegal' content there are probably quite a few who just want more content. Feeding demand is all these 'modders' are doing. But also remember some converters later become modders.

BerScott likes this.
  3. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I like when someone uses tracks and convert to learn or to use with friends because is a good startpoint... but to post in official forums every single copy/paste conversions is just "ugly". I have fiends who learnt converting Race07 tracks (and with good quality), but will never be released here in ISI forums or in other forum. They will decide if they go for more and will use experience to do a proper track from scratch.

I saw is converted even rF1 Top Gear track, don't know if was done from scratch but is so ugly (both, original and converted), and is a shame It's happening the same as early days in ISI forums, lots of copy paste conversions with no future and even with no intention no do more or something better.

True modders learn and do not release everything they achieve in 2 days. Or at least I think in that way.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I agree on the public vs private thing, and I'm sure most people doing quick conversions are just doing it for private use. One thing you could say for the guy releasing 3 tracks across a few days is that he's not trying to hide the fact they're quick conversions; or he's just not doing a good job of it ;)

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

That first video is just plain bad. :p

6. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

In the past yes but not now becase the wide range of tracks available from different games gives them no ambitions to build stuff on there own anymore, not even trying to update stuff.

Those tools available at the moment are nothing else than a mess eather as ive seen that tons of stuff are not posibile at the momemt to bring basic track/car into game. Its a shame actually as with this the game now looks dated wich was/is same problem with some tracks/cars in rf2.

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Damn, Asetto Corsa looks so bland and dated in those pics, I think I'm going to their forums to tell them to up their game, graphics are so ugly..

I still agree with the stance Simbin took and still baffled about how much flak they got in return for it...

Converting stuff will not teach you how to build a track from scratch, only the final steps of getting it in the engine. There is a major difference.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't like that GSC tool.

I do not know why teams like ORSM will ever bother doing anything again.

How easy would rFactor2 be to reverse engineer ? Not easy i hope :(

Imagine if other sims get our versions of Historic Tracks and cars................... like why even bother with developers, just make one big sim :(

Individuality was the best thing about old sims.

9. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

It can tech you about materials. Friend I was talking about, after days of hard work and importing rF2 materials properties from other tracks to convert a Race07 track was able to map textures, was able to tweak them and even edit and "play" with material properties. I'm not talkin about just copy/paste It (like that AC guys is doing), convert tracks can be more than that. Look mandeglor tracks... Bahrain is a great converted track and for sure he learnt a lot from that project. Same for SPASKIS, he is clearly learnig from conversions.

There is conversions and conversions. In my first post I was talking about crappy conversions, copy/paste and release.

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Again, that is all the rF stuff. Modelling and texturing are not tought with converting :)

(But yes I mean the direct conversions, not the bahrain and nords types)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Are you being sarcastic or just not realizing that those rf1 converted tracks looks bad in AC in the same way they can make rf2 look pretty bad too.

12. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Can not stop laugh about this post hahahaha of course is the first option. I hope so...

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You guys should watch the sarcastiball episode from Southpark...

This is a prime example of how it damages sims/developers. People are actually turned off by these sort of conversions and think they are speaking for all other content of said sim, spreading their opinions, and clueless people take those false opinions as fact.
    Not good, not good at all.

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Well, since I can't read peoples minds, I thought you are the one of those clueless people too :)

I'm +1 with what you said above.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

If I may chip in here, but I think there's nothing wrong with conversions IF you do it yourself and keep it to yourself.
    You end up converting just the mod you like so very much and couldn't leave alone in rF1.......wishing it would come to rF2 but it doesn't.
    So you take some flaws for granted but you don't want to get it to other people because they expect a perfect mod.

In my case; I converted the Champcar 2003, Indycar 2009, GP2-2011 and the Zonda. There's something wrong with all of them (mirror on the car to bright or lights in the steering wheel not round but square) but as I love these cars; I don't mind at all!
    But you can't bother other people with crappy conversions like that.

Bottom line; if you want a conversion, you should be able to make it yourself easily I think and then keep it to yourself. You are responsible for your own (more or less) crappy stuff ;)

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

:confused:

I do not think anyone in history has ever disagreed with that ?.

:confused:

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes, THAT was the point.......

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

So if my mate converts a no permission and comes over I can't use it you saying ?

I just don't like no permission and rips being here.

What "anyone or any group" do in private is not my business nor do I give a flying pigs.

Always said the same.

Answer me this okay .....

There are 1000 sites people could go other then the developers.

What is it makes them still post anyway well knowing it is controversial ?

They do not care ? spite ? arrogance ? mischief ? ego ? can't keep a secret ?

Whatever it is it is NEVER a GOOD REASON !!! ever !! . lopl ;)

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Dude, I don't know what you want from me here; I said NOTHING of the kind. I didn't discuss friends coming over right? So what is it you are looking for? A fight?
    Blaming me on things I didn't say sure seems like it..........

I just said; when you love a mod dearly and want to drive it on rF2; make it yourself and you won't mind a few bugs......that's ALL.......

Okay, but I said nothing about that, hence the "make it for your OWN".......again; very misinterpreted (with what reason?)

How should I know? What did I say about this part? Nothing man, nothing........

How should I know? What did I say about this part? Nothing man, nothing........

I agree; posting some half made conversion isn't. But then again; I never said it was nor did I say anything of the kind.

Now stop looking for a fight as you clearly are; you won't get one with me.

20. Domi

Domi Registered

Why to look to other sims when in this forum we have tons of screenshots, videos etc of content from other games :)