Constant heavy stuttering in VR with SteamVR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by some_race_driver, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I tried rf2 for the first time after about a 2 year break

it ran super smooth
    10900k rtx 3080 , quest2 cable link

you should be blowing it out of the water with a 4090

It’s defo not rf2

atomed and nolive721 like this.
  2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I do run it very very smoothly with meta quest 3 even with SS-150% and full graphics setting but FPSVR lately causes a lot of stuttering.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

FPSVR I keep off as it caused stutter for me too not used it for ages , ctrl-F for rf2 fps whilst driving displays fps stats I sometimes use

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  4. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Try starting it via Steam. For me this solved the issue even with fpsVR enabled.

5. vava74

vava74 Registered

I believe that there are some player.json entries that can be tweaked to keep rf2 running uninterruptedly when we switch to another window or take off the headset.
    I believe that, depending on the headset, rF2 will no longer resume running at the same "priority" level over other processes.

6. McFlex

McFlex Registered

The issue has nothing to do with switching to another window or taking of the headset

7. PedroJ

PedroJ Registered

Just use openXR Toolkit with opencomposite..

8. McFlex

McFlex Registered

then tell me how to use fpsVR and other overlays? Opencomposite isn‘t always the problem solver ;)

And btw for me open composite has worse performance compared to steamvr when i use the exact same settings ;)

9. I think it was just to mention another possible option ... openComposite improves performance within my setup, but as I want to use overlays realized by the functionality given in CrewChief I need to use SteamVR - so I agree it is not always usable. And yes, some people report worse performance using it. :)

10. Chris Sanderson

Chris Sanderson Registered

I know OP found a solution, but I have an issue, only with rFactor2 where if I disable the Steam Overlay it makes the game completely unplayable, with it enabled it is absolutely fine, no idea why but posted a question here as I ideally do not want to display it. Note I have pretty much the same set up as you have. As a side, I had the exact same issue also that you had where it would randomly dip briefly in Assetto Corsa and I solved it in exactly the same way. I have to set the frame limit slightly above 90fps (I used 95) and its butter smooth.

I can't work out the open composite route, but if I can find a solution to why rFactor2 completely breaks in VR when the steam overlay is disabled I'd be happy