Community Videos Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

nords 1.8, Miata 1.3. Enjoy :)

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

First ever public vid...Can anyone help me on why my video looks so bad compared to other people's videos?

I record using DXTory with the Lagarith Codec (1920x1080). I then use Freemake Video Converter - with the AVI container and the H.264 codec with decent bitrate (I even tried 25,000 kbps) - to covert the video to a smaller file size for uploading purposes. The resulting video still looks good. Then I upload to youtube and it looks like crap compared to other people's videos (for example see simulated heaven's videos). There is so much pixilation and artifacting - even at 1080p - in my video. If you look at the road sort of near the steering wheel, it just looks like a pixelated mess - squares and blurriness everywhere. Same with the sky, and actually pretty much everywhere. Lines like powerlines are also really pixelated and aliased.

Also, there seems to be a lot of aliasing showing up in the video even though it looks great while playing. Do I have to enable the AA from the rF2 config instead of the GPU control panel (Nvidia Inspector) in order for the AA to stick in the video?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
  4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

It's not to bad Spinelli...the video quality i mean.....the driving seems to be spot on ;)

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks Eddy

6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I think if u just uploaded it ,youtube still encoding your vid. try in 30 minutestime and its gonna look better.

7. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I believe what you are referring to Spinelli is how the track looks.
    Try for yourself, record a video in the same way of karts at Mores instead at 8am or 5pm and check out the difference.
    It will be night and day.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't think it's the track because the track looks fine while playing and in my video before uploading to youtube. I know that youtube lowers the bitrate, and therefore overall quality, massively. But my video just looks bad compared to other people's.

For example, look how clear and better quality the following 2 videos are compared to mine:

Also, aside from the issue above, there's the amount of bad aliasing. I am using a very heavy and demanding form of AA (4x Multisampling + 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling) and it looks GREAT while playing, so I don't understand why my video has so much aliasing??....

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Are you used to capture your videos from the replays or directly from the game!
    Personally I captured my video while I'm playing, because you lose a lot of quality capturing from the replays.

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

12. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

@Spinelli
    What's the size of the video or with how much bitrate was it encoded ?

13. Eddy

Eddy Registered

@Spinelli, i'm not into the video business but i recall to have seen some youtube vids where is explained how you can make your vids look awesome.....if i find them i will edit this post

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Tim use to say daily motion was better. Also IIRC the last time I really wanted a video to look good I sent it without compression and let you tube compress it so it compressed only once but I know that can take ages and bandwidth but for hotlap only is not that bad.

15. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

Is not mine :eek:

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

very cool display setup you've got there

17. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Spinelli, it could be a number of factors.

First off, it's entirely possible to over-anti-alias when it comes to videos. Larger blocks are easier to encode than smaller blocks basically. While it looks better in gameplay, it can actually make it harder to render out with the same bit rate and keep the same quality. This is probably contributing to the display being junk in your vid. Either lower the antialiasing you use or up your bitrate.

In general, if you want quality on youtube the end result is throw bitrate at it. I've done some testing, and at 720P and the settings I use, the difference between 4-6k bps is minimal improvement, while it jumps a bit for 7k and gets even better if I jump to 12k. It's basically giving youtube more info to work with for their own compression. For 1080P I've tried from 12k to 25k and the difference between the two extremes is quite a lot. Most suggestions will say roughly 16-18k on the bitrate, but you can certainly see some difference.

But really, for youtube if you can, throw bitrate at it.

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thanks EB. I just tried rFactor 2 at Monaco with regular AA from in-game instead of from the driver, and the AA in the resulting video was even worse; it looked like I simply had AA fully disabled. I don't know if it's an issue with rFactor or the recording software. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm using some extremely popular and recommended recording settings (DXTory with the Lagarith Codec at full original size of 100% [1920x1080]) and then bringing it down to a much smaller size - using Freemake Video Converter (for uploading purposes) - using MP4 & H.264 @ 25k bps and at the original resolution.

Now, I was told, here, to try Adobe Media Encoder instead of Freemake. He said he notices a massive difference between the two. I thought that MP4 is simply MP4, and that H.264 is simply H.264 (all else being equal of course, like resolution, bitrate, etc.) and therefore as long as you use MP4 and H.264, that it doesn't matter what program you use. Apparently it's more complex then that, and that the combo of MP4, H.264, 25k bps and 1920x1080 can have different results depending on the program.

Man everything looks so nice and clear in the 2 example videos I posted above (post # 1284), especially the "Game Stockcar Extreme "Must Have" MODS" video. No pixilation and messed up anomalies, artifacts, fuzziness around textures and text, etc.

I wonder if Freemake Video Converter is indeed the problem. The thing is though, it still looks good after Freemake does it's thing. Maybe the internal "background" settings that Freemake uses don't "get along" with youtube as much as the internal, background settings of other programs like Adobe Media Encoder, Sony (Vegas & Movie Studio), Handbrake, etc.?

Should I maybe just buy a product? In terms of the resulting video quality on youtube when using the same settings as Freemake (MP4, H.264, 25k bps, 1080p), do you think that using something like Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum (cut-down version of Sony Vegas Pro, $80 instead of $600, LOL WTF?!) be better than Freemake?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Having not read anything above. 5500kbps for 720p H264 (5.1 level) .. 9500 for 1080p all uploaded to youtube.