Community Screenshots Thread (Unedited Screens Only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. sg333

sg333 Registered

How we've gone from a two-digit build number to b382 with those shadows still not fixed I'll never know.

2. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

as long as its the build and not my settings?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Probably keep in mind with some tracks not publicly released for rF2 (that we had in rF1, or are in other games) some leagues especially will go and do a conversion to rF2 so that they can race there. Of course releasing those tracks wouldn't be good. I do agree it's best not to share any screens from them though, that's just not fair :) (the legality of it is probably less of a concern really; Tim's under no obligation to use screens posted in this thread, and I'm sure he'd avoid using any that might be questionable)

4. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

5. gplayonline

gplayonline Registered

Very nice deBorgo! :)

A while ago on isi servers:

-low graphic settings-
    [​IMG]

6. Galaga

Galaga Banned

7. tjc

tjc Registered

8. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

9. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

A few Honda shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

In the Settings menu, look for "Shadow Blur" try different settings until you get the result you like. I set it to "Fast" and it looks ok to me.

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This could be partially solved with shadow blur, but as everything else - it has it's drawbacks.

Basically these kind of shadow issues is not something you just fix. This is something you improve on. Shadowmaps are jaggy in their nature and engine can only try to add extra features on top of shadowmap functionality.

Here's an image from Skyrim:

[​IMG]

In the image you've posted you could look at shadows as not jaggy, but inaccurate. The further away from camera, the bigger the inaccuracy becomes. The lower shadow quality setting you use, the bigger this inaccuracy becomes. The only thing engine can do is to blur shadows, but it's not as easy as it sounds :) For human, blur is something obvious. For computer, it's a costly algorithm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Bit OT, but yeah...Skyrim shadows...I fixed mine, and they look perfect at any distance, no BS...they track smoothly with the sun and have no jaggies at all.

Theres a small drawback.

It hammers the hardware in the computer, Intel 3570K and HD7950 with well overclocked on both, can only just get 60fps. Probably halved my FPS in total, but it worked, and it looks great XD

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For capturing what's on screen any decent screenshot tool will do the trick (including FRAPS), or even rF2's built-in screenshot (F12). The key is to capture to BMP or other lossless format. By default rF2 captures to JPG and will introduce artifacts (it's not a high quality JPG). You can change the format in your PLR file ("Screenshot File Type="). Been a long time since I used FRAPS but I think you can select the format in it as well.

So capture to BMP or similar, then use your preferred software to convert to a suitable quality (and size) JPG if you wish (or just leave it as BMP, for full quality and file size :))

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Awesome reply! Thank you so much. :)

17. tjc

tjc Registered

If I can add a couple of things to Lazza`s post...

I`ve experimented with the screenshot type in the player file and personally I think png (option 3) is the best option.

Plus I use Fraps regularly and it does have an option for png`s but I think you have to have the registered version (not the free one)

:)

18. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

BMP is both uncompressed and lossless. PNG is compressed but lossless. With both lossless format the only visible difference is the file size. I'd recommend using PNG over BMP, same quality but smaller file size.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Very good tips and tricks, thank you all for replying. :)

Another thing... How do I make the image appear in the posts I make??
    I mean, not just the link, but the image itself?

I tried uploading a couple of shots to imageshack, and used some of the links there, but it didn't appear in the post.

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

dont do that, always only use links, or your post will be moderated and they will get changed to links anyway - see if you put the picture streight in your post, it slows down the pages load time, if everybody in this topic did that, it would take forever to load up the page, that is why the links are so good, you only click the ones you want and the rest stay unloaded