Communities and the re-activation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valter Cardoso, Jun 23, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

2. F3n3k

F3n3k Registered

Yeah, exemple for my account, the online is finish the 2014/06/15
    if i want to replay online but this time with lifetime option, it's 38 euro, right ?

3. 88mphTim

Yes, lifetime would allow you to pay us that - once - and never pay again. rF1 is 9 years old, so if rF2 only lasts that long, you never pay again for that product lifetime.

Or, if you want to do the yearly, you can, but I think you will ultimately end up paying more. That obviously isn't 38 EUR though. It's $12, whatever the rate paypal set for that in EUR.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not so sure one needs to spend most of their time to simracing. sure, if you want poles and wins and titles, but averaging it may take a few hours per week to prepare (with a one event per week format)
    Its not much and I've seen many people , including myself, shy away from joining leagues because they think it takes up all their time. its not that demanding :)

But maybe you are right and maybe we are just getting too old as a sim community hehe, rf2 is very demanding and we are getting older :)
    And the youngsters out there might not have the patience to stick to one group and are jumping around like monkeys on uppers.

The MP issues are currently our biggest problem though, random join issues, random disconnects, password problems, browsers not loading. each week we see one or two members not being able to attend or get booted after a few laps. And we are already losing drivers whom are fed up with it.

And its not just those issues, it takes its toll on dedication as well, more and more drivers don't even care much, more drivers skipping events when they got something better to do, more dnf's because why bother to keep racing with a bend suspension vs 6 other drivers (left) miles away.
    its a downward cycle and each event something else happens which prevents some from racing.

This week we had so many password-issues we decided to run an open server and ask random joiners to leave and/or kick them. For me that's totally the opposite of what we have been trying to do that last year or so, attracting new drivers, and now kicking them because we can't run with a password :-(

Not nesseserarly whining here, just pointing out that its never one or two things, everything is interconnected and one thing influences another. Just like when things are going extremely well, like with rf1, leagues need to shut down recruitment because too many drivers....ahh those where the days :)

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I try to take part on league races from a website that runs GTs on Saturdays and open-wheelers on Sundays. I've rarely been present on Saturdays due to my low interest in the choice (and options) of GTs available especially given the tracks used. I like many of the guys but it's just it doesn't fit with me right now, when I'm interested something always happens that crushes it... like being taken off or the overall mentality. I've come into two races this weekend (in GSC and rf2) with practice just before the session and had a 1:15.6 in 94 F1s at Essington, and 1:15.8 in Indycar around the same track. Hotlap isn't race practice but I was running comfortably until things affected me - namely other drivers and a connection issue as well (in rf2).

I like the idea of people who push each other to improve. I for example always shared setups even with top folks and would see I could further push my lap. My knowledge is limited though but I'm one of those who wants results through proper ways while most other people want to protect their advantage because they know they'll be "defeated." My first ever league was Vader Trophy in GPL and I got murdered for many reasons - first time ever in a sim, wheel, setup I had, always trying to overdrive, etc etc etc.
    Yet those guys, who dominated in a few places especially online endurance in NR 2003, were all about everyone having fun and improving off each other. I just don't have that with the guys I've been with since last year - they got me to buy rF2 fyi! - and other leagues like Legends League or SR4L have awesome folks but it's not the content I am enamored with plus the timing - like great car but not the tracks. I've come a long way from my first and second leagues (9 years apart, 2nd being GSC 2012 ending a year ago) but right now for me there's nothing out there right now. I'd love an excuse to fork out the rF2 standard purchase price again to go lifetime, but not yet.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I hear ya mate, but personally I would prefer a good group over a good mod. For me its more about multiplayer paraphernalia, mates, banter, practising together and then when the official event start just good clean but harsh battles. and then back to making fun of eachother :)

That can be done with any mod. in fact, I could easily go back to fps gaming, find/create a clan and have the same experience.
    Sure, mods and tracks are important but for me not as important as a good environment.

Same with race results, love to win, got quite a few titles but if the racing is epic I don't mind if its in the front or in the back :)

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'm the same as you, there is no league running what I like. I'm sort of specific I guess, I was interested in sr4l until I seen they have a touring car format, inverse grids. I personally hate inverse grid on second race. :p

It's such a shame everybody avoids the ISI GT cars like the plague, the GT-R and Camaro are flipping excellent. Anyway, I'm just ranting now. :)

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I dont know about you but I feel Im 13 ys old for the last decades ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSRBD9N4VUs

9. F3n3k

F3n3k Registered

ok, so this is exactly what I say since the beginning of my conversation in this topic.
    Sorry Tim ^^

10. Descoat

Descoat Registered

People that don´t want to pay few dollars/euros to play online one year, are people that will pay 700 dollars for their new phablet. I´m really tyred to listen so many stupid excuses. ISI will not make different thigs for that kind of people. Bugs can be more important than new content.

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

+100

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Your generalization is not pleasant or suiting at all.

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

This is also the same person who buys the latest shooter game on Steam for 60 bucks and only play it for two months.

14. 88mphTim

You could say this about anything, which is why generalizations like this probably don't mean much. I read about a game the other day which is $60 retail, and the storyline is 8 hours. If you do base cost on the time you get, racing sims are incredible, but not everybody does! :)

15. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Denstjiro nice to read you are a fps veteran. Me too :D
    Back to topic.
    Legend league is a good example for this discusion. I know you are on search for members. Your league has a well done infrastructure (ded.i server, Forum, wiki, organized race and training days, nice and friendly drivers ..)
    You announce regular online events in the forum. A lot of work to recruit some league drivers.
    There is only one problem (I know it is a peronal thing) you guys are to fast and therefore it made no sense for me to join your races because at some point I have to look more in the mirror then in front of me ^^
    So what I want to say is the amount of online driver depends IMO not only on amount of available drivers it depends also on the skill or speed last but not least also on the timezone.
    This are the major reasons for me why I'm change my rF2 usage to more offline where I can adjust and tweak the AI to a level that fit to my skill.
    Summary:
    For me it is difficult to find a league and more or less this are also the main reasons for my ATM poor online activity because:
    - Most do not drive Modern GT cars and or
    - Problem with the timezone and or
    - Skill of drivers is a little bit to high (so no chance for some success moments) and or
    - used tracks or cars are not in the visual quality I expect (yes I need this for my immersion factor)

It's not always all due rF2 issues or something else there are many personal aspects.
    Maybe I'm not alone ?

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

You need to get faster which is a lifelong endeavor. Don't accept your current speed. Also immersion is not only extrinsic and in fact the best immersion comes from continual skill development and experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I don't think you're alone, in fact this go's for everyone, both personal reasons and related to a sim, there's allot of them and all are valid imo. Can't blame anyone for not joining in, that's just life no?

But not being fast enough...I dunno man. I think 80% of people thinking about joining a League feel the same way, I know I did and it took me a long time to get up to speed. but that was one of the reasons I joined.
    League racing simply makes you faster by default. Comparing yourself to others, sharing tips, setups, the competition, etc.

Joining one of our open events (or any other leagues event) and comparing yourself to seasoned drivers whom have been using a certain mod for quite a while....that's never going to be a good feeling :)
    A good group lifts up the average speed bigtime, that has always been the case imo. First and foremost its about joining a nice community imo. and there are loads of them around.

I've been wondering allot, and we have been experimenting allot, as to how to lower the bar for new joiners. I know any league can be intimidating but I also am convinced that people are intimidated for the wrong reasons.
    I mean, its not like there will be 10 to 30 pole sitters, practically every league has its fast/medium/slow drivers and that should cater for anyone I reckon.

Anyways, we've gone way out of our comfort zone to attract more drivers, tried just about anything in in the past 2 years and tbh even in our last 2 rf1 seasons we already noticed a rapid decline in online attendance across the board.

I guess its easier to blame bugs and software as that is something we can pinpoint but there are allot of other reasons indeed and its probably one big pileup of reasons. Which is very hard to tackle.

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Getting lifetime was a nobrainer for me.

Otherwise I have the common problems with online, most importantly difficult timezone.

I drive almost anything/anywhere, although I prefer modern GT and classic cars over modern OW cars. But I also want to change what I drive frequently (not meaning different thing every week but maybe change after one season). I don't mind being one of the slowest guys (which doesn't happen too often luckily). Of course when you get lapped with more than 1 lap in under 1 hour race then it doesn't feel nice (happened in R2P server with T5 cars :D ).

-Matt

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Someone I this forum estimated that 1% of sim racers become real sim racers. I wouldn't be surprised if many who have chosen not to reactivate are looking to GET something from instead of MAKE something with rF2. Sim racing SW is a tool not a toy. Steam, graphics advancements, etc. have simply attracted many of the wrong personality types.

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'd not mind starting at the rear (especially on cars I have little experience like GTs) as long as there's the chance to learn and improve. From tintop setup adjustments and ranges, to different driving techniques. PRC (PhoenixRacingClub) has none of that for example, and I'd not be at the back there but that's not the point. The point is having fun above all and improving.

I've actually seen most places running GTs, the thing for me is I have a list of cars and tracks I'll run in based on quality. The list of those that I find fun is even shorter. :(