Clouds - Not a big deal, but actually they are

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I was at ISI's 60s Spa last night in DurgeDriven's fantastic ISI 60s Eve-F3 server, and for the first time I noticed that the clouds are starting to slowly get to the point where they are approaching the basic design of the "fake, picture" clouds that most games use. Considering they're real dynamically generated clouds, I was very impressed.

RF2's dynamic clouds always looked realistic to me when it came to those thin, streaky, looking clouds - sometimes even eerily realistic. However, when it came to those big, chunky, "bubbly" clouds, you could tell the engine would hardly produce them. Then last night I - for the first time - started also noticing these type of clouds as well. I was very surprised since I was only ever used to seeing the thin, streaky type of clouds.

Maybe I just never noticed these other type of clouds before, but I'm betting it's more down to product evolution.

If the clouds were "fake", then I honestly wouldn't care how bad or good they looked, but because they're another part of the RF2 "RealWorld" system - and therefore affect physics - the clouds are a big deal.

The fact that everything feels so raw and alive in the rFactor 2 engine makes me notice and care about things (eg. clouds) that I don't usually care about, at all, in other games (regardless of the genre).

Great job ISI. This engine has so much potential, and just keeps getting better :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Well spoken!

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah depends on time of day and cloud level, I had added some mostly cloudy and overcast

I always assumed this would be updated when they got around to it, like they ( Historic tracks ) are coming up 2 years old since update.

That is why I always set light and partial cloud at ISI Historic tracks

Don't like clear sky much so you never see me set that either.

Longford has some good clouds especially sunset/sunrise.

P.S.

What grabs me about rF2 is the ambiance, haze, etc.

I would like fog and mist worked up some more before rain. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Should be possible. I remember some some brilliant mist and fog during wet Monza sessions many builds back (over a year ago).

5. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I seem to remember someone from ISI saying the clouds were going to get overhauled, or something in the future, too.

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I believe it was mentioned they would like to add 3D clouds.

Keep in mind there's a difference between saying they would like to do something and saying they're actually gonna do it :)

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Indeed. I just recall it was someone like Luc and he said it with a ";)" at the end, as if he had something up his sleeve :)

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Maybe it's all in my head, but they seem to be improving little by little.

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Alas, I take next to zero notice of the clouds. Always concentrating on what's ahead of me rather than above :(

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya I usually don't care in other games, but my brain - I guess - subconsciously cares in RF2 since the clouds are "real", affect physics, are used to have an idea about conditions, etc.

It really puts a smile on my face.

I can't wait for ISI to start going full-steam ahead on the "Real World" system (improving the rain physically and graphically [especially physically], humidity, wind, fog/mist, aquaplaning, more complex wet/dry surface modeling, etc.), but I have a feeling that, ATM (and lately), the non-content-creator guys are focused mostly on the new core U.I., bugs, graphics, and multiplayer.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Clouds/skies are not part of a specific track as in rF1, in rF2 each track uses the same dynamic cloud system. Light clouds look mostly ok, sometimes it looks plain bad though. I guess that's the price for using a dynamic system. It will be interesting to compare againt pCars dynamic clouds once it's released.

12. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Indeed,

I tried Live weather in Sepang and bump into a cloud-rain-sun-cloud. Its surreal. Ure driving and slowly the shadows gone and everything just turned mellow....the next corner feels like a different corner haha

13. Depco

Depco Registered

odd timing, this post. I had left a post on my leagues forums about one of our races.

I was lamenting my poor showing in the race but had to make mention of the partly cloudy skies during the race. I was struck by the way the cloud cover came and went across the sunlight and made for an incredible ambiance for the race. I have been and will likely continue to be a critic of the graphics of rF2. But this particular day and on this particular race I was truly pleased by ISI's weather/cloud system. Nice job indeed.

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

If you do endurance it matters :) And @Nazirull, LiveWeather plugin needs to be set up correctly to avoid sudden and constant changes

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I always take notice of the clouds when I'm racing in rF2. It is a very big deal for me.

If a session starts out in sunny conditions, there will often be certain shadows cast on the tarmac that I can use as brake markers.
    If I then see a cloud cover approaching, I know that I need to look for other braking reference points.

My perception of the track really changes when it goes from a clear sky to overcast.
    Some turns are really deceiving, and appear to be different, simply because of the change in light.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Put rain /storm and disable raindrops ;)

I was talking more lighter mists rolling across Spa , Monza, etc.

For proper weather I would want rivers running across Spa and Monza, my cockpit and googles fogged and dripping with water and dirt, variable drops and pattern, puddles, aquaplane, windshear.

DX12/rF3 you ask me ( hopefully )

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't see why this can't be done with DX9. It doesn't have to look super "shiney", as long as it's somewhat there. Not to mention, current CPUs have extraordinary amounts of power relative to how litttle most games utilize their (CPUs') potential.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not saying It can't be done but how many hours and years they got.

As long as they can do it sweet, but :p .....there is much I would like in rF2 to be started, fixed, done and dusted.

Still, I more concerned the amount of negativity has tainted how rF2 is perceived by prospective buyers.

Like I said go to Steam, read AC and pCARS reviews, they dribble all over themselves. hehehe ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015