Circuit Of The Americas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RCRacing, Apr 27, 2013.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Good to know Radar plus youv`e got other tracks in the pipeline you say.

Good man. :)

2. Radar

Radar Registered

Yes I do tjc, yes I do.. I won't mention any of them as I know what will happen next. It will be 'please do this one now, not do this one' or 'when can we expact this one' or 'when will you start this one', 'Can we have a Beta of what you have now', so on and so forth..

What people don't know won't hurt them hey :)

I can say this. One track I've put aside for now as there are too many scratch built objects that need to be done and I've done nearly half of them now already and I've not even touched the terrain or road yet.

The other one I have objects done already, but haven't done the terrain or road yet, and the one I am doing now I've not done the models yet (they are easy and not many to do) but I've done the road now 5 times... ;). This one that I'm working on now will be the 1st released track and an indication of what I can do (or not do) for the tracks that have more objects or detailed objects on them.

3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Excuse me? Do we know each other well enough for you to joke in such a cavalier manner? Your post is offensive to me.

I would not work from a lossy compressed jpg when the linked pdf contains embedded vector. I've plenty of reasons to not drop everything currently being worked on. I try to help by posting a link to as good of source material as you are going to find publicly, and I get demands to work on a track I don't even really like?

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

This is pretty much the reason why I personally started modding. There is no way people would do stuff *I* want, do I have to do it by myself.

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Is trackmodding easier than carmodding? Because the cars got on my nerves...
    I understand tracks take longer time and a lot of skill and patience, but is it an 'easier' process?

Then maybe I want to make a try. At least I learned a bit 3ds max when messing with the cars.

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Graphics wise car modding is easier, physics wise not :/

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought...

And we have already seen a couple of amazing tracks for rF2, but not many cars to talk about. It might be easier to find help here in the forums when building a track.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

This all sounds very impressive Radar and sounds like it`s going to keep you busy for a while... I very much look forward to seeing and driving on, your work.

:)

9. Banger

Banger Registered

rofl, really then prehaps you should join Iracing team , if you think your above everyone else. this is a public forum and i will speak to anyone. if you find it so offensive, then please bugger off,PLEB

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You said "pleb". No name calling is actually in our rules, so the only "buggering off" will be you if you do that many more times. So please don't. :)

11. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

You better believe Tim. I think he actually might still be a bit cranky from moving into his new house :p Congrats Tim, hope everything went well and that you got some rest :)

12. Banger

Banger Registered

What ever,Tim. for your information lordpants . i do work with svg/hi res too, and it was convert to jpg for the forum.so i don;t take kindly to be spoken like that.

13. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

I only asked a question folks. Don't turn this into a nasty thread.

14. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I dont think its a nasty thread as people have just answered your questions, maybe not all answers are as you liked which may make it seem nasty to you. ;)

15. tfriest

tfriest Registered

Bumping this up since it's "that time of year"...

But seriously,
    Does ISI have any interest in doing the track?
    What is involved with licensing a track? Do tracks "want" to have themselves represented in games and therefore make it easy to license them, or is there some reason a track wouldn't want to be featured in a sim/game?

16. RJames

RJames Registered

Essentially it all comes down to:

[​IMG]

Some tracks put more effort into "helping" get their tracks in games while others cash in on it when they know people want it. As Tim has mentioned previously with cars, they have to make a judgement call on what content gets licensed. Put all your coins in one track or licence multiple others.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes.
    Talking, lots of. Money, lots of. Some do, yes, and those will sometimes mean less of (money and talking). COTA doesn't unfortunately seem like one of those cases.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The US has many good tracks that are far superior and could perhaps cost less (Watkins Glen, Road America, Road Atlanta, etc), the only good things COTA has are MotoGP and F1 coming to it. It's just another boring Tilkedrome.

19. Bigbazz

Bigbazz Registered

The Simraceway (updated) version of this track is excellent. They did release a preliminary early version as a promotional thing for the 2012 Texas GP but it was a little innaccurate and lacking in the finer details (driving and graphical) but the updated version is excellent, most of their tracks are laser scanned but there was no confirmation of this about COTA, either way the production quality of the circuit is top notch.

Still, it would look so much better on Rfactor 2, even though they have done an excellent job (SRW) the lighting on the RF1 engine makes it look dated.

Saying all that I don't really like COTA to be honest, I know it got a lot of praise from Mario Andretti and some of the current drivers but when I drive it in the sim it just feels like a bit of a Mickey Mouse track that is trying hard to capture the best of other circuits but still missing something. I do see some influences of Silverstone and Suzuka there but it still feels too....meh hard to describe with words.

Think of all the other tracks ISI could spend time with.

Modern Spa
    Bathurst
    Suzuka
    Watkins Glen

Mouthwatering in comparison to COTA.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  20. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

there is only one laser scanned track in simraceway and that is Silverstone