Car invisible when hosting multiplayer race???

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by sl1ngblad3, Apr 3, 2014.

1. sl1ngblad3

sl1ngblad3 Registered

When I host a multiplayer race on my PC I can join and my friends can join, however my friends are unable to see my vehicle in game. I initially thought this might be due to the server and client using the same port so I created a new .PLR file to run the server and changed the port numbers to 54298 and 64298. I will note that when I was using the default ports 54297 and 64297 I would have to join the server 2x to get in. The first time I would get a client disconnect and the second time I would get into the server. This no longer occurs after changing the ports, it connects on the first attempt.

I saw a couple of posts in the hosting section with no replies regarding invisible cars that may be the same as what I am experiencing, I'm not sure. I just find it strange that my friends can see each other and race each other yet they cannot see my car at all. What's even more strange is they can view my replay and see my lap times and I can bump them on the track but it doesn't affect their vehicle at all. Never seen this before in a racing game. I can host rFactor1 and Game Stock Car 2013 with no issues.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Do you have a capable system and connection to both host and race on the same machine with rFactor 2? Are you using different core and data directories, or the same one?

3. sl1ngblad3

sl1ngblad3 Registered

Core i7, 12GB RAM, 240GBSSD, GTX660
    50Mb/10Mb Cable Internet

I would think that should be enough to host a server with 3-4 people in it. I have no problems hosting for Game Stock Car, F1-2013, rFactor1, etc...

I will look into the Core/Data file structure. Currently my data files are in the MyDocuments directory (Windows 8) and the core files are in the Program Files x86/rFactor2 directory. I will play around with those and see if it makes a difference.

4. 88mphTim

You would more than one of each, in my opinion. Install the software again in another location, have the data in another location, and make sure both your rf2 instances have the right path from the right core to the right data in the data.path file :)

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The only time when I experienced this was when a server was extremely stressed and/or about to crash. it just stops sending/receiving packages to individuals or to all.

Doesn't have to mean your pc is not up to it, could well mean you need some tweaking.
    For example remove the dynamic stuff, no changes in lightning (time) no changes in weather, no rain. (not sure about night racing) make the server as static as possible.
    Also experiment with dedi data rates, maximize, minimize, see what you get out of it.
    Background proggies, virus scanners, updates, whatever, turn it all off.
    make sure you set rf2 to close the splash screen once its launched.
    minimize the dedi window when live
    turn off skin transferals.
    checksum pings on server

3 or 4 drivers should be doable easily imo.

6. 88mphTim

I think people underestimate really what the PC is being asked to do. It's a nice system, but you're running a modern sim. Just being the client can be enough for some systems. On our own dedicated server we have to run 1 dedi per CPU, otherwise it's too much for the CPU.

7. sl1ngblad3

sl1ngblad3 Registered

Tim,

I understand where you're coming from man, but I've been working on computers and running race servers for the same amount of time you've been sim racing and I know this is something either program or network related. I just don't know enough about the rFactor2 structure to put my finger on it. I have a server up on Amazon Web Services that runs perfectly fine on not even half the PC I'm working with at home. It just costs to run it and if I had enough guys for a league it wouldn't be so bad, but with just me and a few of my old NR2003 buddies who refuse to do iRacing I like free better.

On the 494 build of rFactor2 I couldn't even connect to a server I was hosting at all. My friends could connect from outside and race each other, but I would always get client disco'd on login. On the new build I could connect on the 2nd try after launching the server using the default port numbers, but no one could see me racing. I could see everyone and they could even see my lap times and view my replays, just not see me on track. I created a new .PLR and changed the port numbers and that get me as far as being able to connect on first attempt, but still did not correct the invisibility issues.

I will download the core install and install the copy I am going to play on my SSD and server copy on my storage drive. I am putting odds on that fixing it. I will report back and let you guys know.

8. chumet

chumet Registered

I have the same problem, please if you find the solution I need your feedback.

Thank you.

9. 88mphTim

B494 had a separate issue with joining. If you are joining and not seeing cars, I think your system (or connection) cannot cope with the data being sent or what it's being asked to do.

10. Molano

Molano Registered

11. peper61

peper61 Registered

I have the same problem ...find a solution ?

thx

12. peper61

peper61 Registered

13. Goanna

Goanna Registered

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Set your connection speed!
    This occurs if the speed is set too low.