Can't get FANATEC CSW to feel realistic with rFactor2, any suggested setings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robert_DD, Apr 3, 2014.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Thanks guys :)

2. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

Anyone running with the CSW V2 and what settings recommended? I am also noticing the FFB deadzone around the wheel center in some cars.
    The link above to the "optimal ffb thread" looks promising and I will investigate.

edit. nice, I spend most of my time in iracing and love the minimum FFB slider effect. It looks like the FFB Deadzone is a major issue and hopefully future releases of rF2 will have some kind of minimum ffb setting on the controller profile page?

I just tried doubling the min value from 0.005 to 0.01 with the CSW V2 and the difference is noticeable and much improved (at least in the Clio car at the Lime Rock Park)!!
    :)

Part 2 - the low end forces (a.k.a initial ffb deadzone issue): What is it?

The majority of ffb wheels suffer from an initial ffb deadzone issue simply because the initial low end forces are not able to overcome the internal resistance of the wheel due to friction (with the exception of the best wheels such as the leo bodnar wheel which are direct drive and what little internal resistance exists is miniscule compared to the full range of forces it is capable of....some 200-300x stronger than a g25/27).

Here is a graph of the ffb response curve of my T500 wheel in the green line (to demonstrate this):

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...pse2a653de.jpg

Notice how the first 8% of forces sent to the wheel produces 0% force output at the wheel. This demonstrates the static friction of the wheel. As a result, we also get a delay in any ffb force output at the wheel. Take for example, a 20% force sent to the wheel actually results in a 10% force output at the wheel. As well as the initial deadzone region, this is not ideal and the result is a loose feeling of the wheel around the center when driving in a straight line, initial turn ins and exit of corners and much lower ffb forces than should be in the slow speed corners where the forces are generally no greater than 10-30%. Much like the ffb clipping issue, the wheel is giving you mis-information and negatively affects your performance for the very same reason. The wheel is telling you the car is in a stable 4 wheel slide when the car balance could be changing and in fact oversteering or understeering. (I must mention however that although this graph shows an 8% deadzone, the reality is that this is for static friction and not rolling friction which in my experience is around 3-4% for the t500. Even though it sounds like a tiny amount, in practice it still makes a significant difference when you feel any and all previous deadzone removed).

The blue line represents a modification to the response curve that cuts away that unwanted deadzone. rFactor 2 developers have recently added a new line to the controller.ini file (but as of the recent updates to rf2 i believe it's now the controller.json file) in the ":\rFactor2\UserData\player" folder. The line is called "Steering Torque Minimum". To find the ideal value, you need to test for yourself and this doesn't take long either. My advice would be to start with a value of 4% (which equals a value of "0.04000") and then jump into the game with any car (make sure you have fine tuned your ffb multiplier first however as this can affect the correct deadzone value) and see if your wheel is oscillating when stationary (Thanks to Comante for correcting me in saying that you should do this with the car at very slow speed for the best/most-accurate results....explanation below in "edit 3"). If it is, go back and lower this value but if it is not oscillating then increase it until you find the wheel starts to oscillate or vibrate. Rinse and repeat till you find a value that only just starts to oscillate/vibrate the wheel a tiny bit and the value is accurate to within 0.1% (e.g. 4.1%, no need for 4.1275% accuracy lol). Then back it down a tiny bit, maybe by about 0.1% (so imagine you find it just starts to oscillate/vibrate at 5.4% then take it down to 5.3% or 5.2% instead) to avoid the small oscillation/vibration all together. (Thanks to Luke Dykstra for noting that you must have the "steering torque minimum" value represented to 5 decimal places for it to work. So that's "0.03000" for 3% deadzone and NOT "0.03" or anything else. - UPDATE: no longer needs to be 5 decimal places with the new json file format for the controller.json)

This is what happens when you set the "steering torque minimum" too high causing that unwanted oscillation:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015