Buttkicker 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sn0man, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

If you are not using simvibe, then you can only use one output device, the same signal is used to give sound and vibration. So you could set the realtek analog output as your default device and use a splitter cable to split the signal in two (to your headset and to your buttkicker)

If you use simvibe, you can set your usb audio device as default, so your sound will be heard in your headset connected to the usb dongle. Then you set simvibe to output the vibration signals through your realtek analog output

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Yep, if you don't have SimVibe you have no reason to have output sounds coming from onboard sound card AND your USB headset at the same time. Only one output is used at the same time for Windows. Simvibe will turn ON also the realtek if you chose it as exit for it. If you want to test the BKG2 you need to connect it to the bass output of the onboard card, or to the Left/Right front chanel, and to also connect your speakers or none-USB headset (classic one) through the "Y" cable provided. Not sure I answered correctly here, did I missed something? Edit: and you need to unplug the USB headset.

SimVibe is night and day like I said. Without you can play using front left or front right channel, or bass output (it depends which game you launch, you need to try both config). It still fun, and add some immersion. For movies it's obviously the bass output the best.

Do you use 5.1 or 7.1 speakers plugged to the onboard Realtek? If not (if you use only stereo), for Simvibe you can use the realtek, and for sound the TV stereo output.

3. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks BF & Y. I was wondering if the lack simvibe being present was contributing to the observation. Since you can assign simvibe to an output, that makes sense.

The original issue stemmed from the USB headset working before I downloaded the headset software, but not after. Everything seems to be working in preparation for simvibe.

I have a set of speakers, but mostly only use headset as it is better for household tranquility!

Thanks again guys

4. Joe

Joe Registered

I do have some reservation on SimVibe, since I did spectrum analysis:

5. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks Joe. Interesting. Perhaps you can articulate your reservations? What do you think what we see in the charts means?

6. Joe

Joe Registered

"Simvibe offers a chassis model to drive four transducers on chassis. This video showed a spectrum analysis of front two outputs from the SimVibe. I tested F1 cars of rFactor 2, rfactor, and Game Stock Car 2013. I purposely drove those cars over side way and apexes on the tracks in order to see if there is any difference between left and right side vibration.

The FFT spectrum of rF2 is complex and display pretty rich distribution through bandwidth up to 110Hz. There is a clear high frequency mode of 110Hz. It is persistent and pretty strong. I think this mode is of vibration due to track surface texture. It disappears while both front wheels run over side way or grass. While foot being off the gas pedal, it seems to disappear too. This suggests it may be related to eng sound (somehow SimVibe may have used eng sound for trigger?). Because the spectrum is so complex with no clear persistent fundamental mode to be seen, it suggests that rF2 SimVibe outputs pretty complex vibrations.

The FFT spectrum of rF1 showed simpler than that of rF2. The fundamental mode of vibrations shown in the FFT spectrum for rF1 is less 10 Hz. The spectrum is flatter with two signature modes at about 85-90Hz (minor) and 110 Hz (major). While running over side of road or an apex, the spectrum showed more complicate. The rF1 spectrum shows the fact that revealing vibrations on track less detail than rF2 does. Sometime very low fundamental mode ( less than 5 Hz) shows up, which suggests it bounces up-down unrealistically.

The FFT spectrum of GSC2013 showed simpler than that of rF1, and without the 110Hz mode (or very weak). The fundamental mode of vibration clearly shown in the FFT spectrum is around~ 5Hz. The spectrum is much flat and simple (much less feature), more or less as a simple 5Hz "sine wave" with little higher modes added, which are very much regular and unrealistic in terms of car vibration. On cornering or over side way or an apex, the spectrum becomes a little more complex, but far less than rF2. I think this could be due to the track, which is far less detailed or not enough track surface texture, bumps, etc.

In terms of difference between left and right signals by SimVibe, this study may not be conclusive. It has no evidence on rF1 and GSC13 to show any difference between left and right signals. For rF2, at 2:42 and 3:34 of this video do show a difference between left and right signals in spectrum. An observation of a difference between left and right is possible during a moment when a wheel runs over an apex or over side way. But such duration is very short. This analyzer's refresh rate may be too low to capture (real-time). Thus it might not be possible to see a burst diff in this analyzer.

Note: For motion rig like this one, a feel for effects of four transducers on the chassis is NOT evident due to overwhelmed motion seat action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLl2tANvVg

The front two transducers vibrations cannot propagate through a single axial rod connected to the seat in a meaningful way. Foot feel on pedals is overwhelmed by the transducer under the pedal. The effects of rear ones are questionable, though. Because the vibrations are supposed to propagate thought two actuators to the seat. We know that this is not working, because the actuators act own as absorber/damper. True bump/bounce/drop/vibrations/impacts feels are from the seat by two high speed and high resolution actuators own actions, as shown in this video.
    For a stationery rig, however, adding four transducers on the chassis is much meaningful. One shall consider good analog subwoofer amps for those transducers, which will output enough power down to 5Hz. Digital Class-D amps may not be considered for this type application since they could introduce delay."

7. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks Joe that was helpful. I wonder if mounting the four shakers to the four corners of the motion seat would improve the perception. I appreciate that when chassis mounted to a motion rig the motion rig movement will mask some of the shaker vibration. So perhaps mounting to the seat itself might help. The question there is would the shakers be far enough apart for the driver to differentiate their individual feedback?

Based on what you are say, simvibe, would provide better feedback on static rig. Good to know.

I wonder if simvibe plus something like the head ffb would be a better combination? Or perhaps the G-seat and simvibe?

These various feedback sources will be more effective when they can fully appreciated and don't tend to mask one another.

8. Joe

Joe Registered

For stationary rig, the transducers can only offer some vibration or "knock" feels. They cannot simulate bump/bounce/drop/impacts. For that, one has to go with motion rig with those high resolution actuators. Both rF and rF2 models offer very accurate API data, in comparison with real car/track data:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to get a realistic feel, as a true simulator, one needs to use motion kit, like the Simxperience start kit I (see my previous video).