Build content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rik, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Rik

Rik Registered

What do you tink of a lite version, as it is now and a full version with all the content isi? I think it might be easier for new and old users.
    another idea, a public server with only isi content. each community, as well as to set up a server with special mod, leave a server with only the contents ISI.
    I think this could help to increase the community to grow. an investment of individual communities to insert new virtual pilots.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

there is a lite version...
    there are ISI only servers...

:confused:

3. Rik

Rik Registered

yes, I mean a full version. a version with all the content isi. now the full version has only corvettes, Marussia, clio, limerock and malaysia. a version that includes everything that is in the download page. one package. then there are servers isi. but if there were more servers with only the contents isi I think that would facilitate the entry of many more users. especially new users.
    I think an investment in the community to facilitate the approach to those people who are the first experience with rFactor. I, who are not at first experience, Yes I'm a bit lazy, I prefer to have all ready. I download the full version, see if there are servers with content that I have by default, most of the time they are not there. I close multiplayer and i go
    offline. I do not think I'm the only one.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

There are already ISI servers with default content online.

5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I think I know what your saying but a FULL content installer would be 7GB or more.

6. Rik

Rik Registered

for a large community Only servers isi I think they are few

perhaps three versions?
    1) lite like Now
    2) full like Now
    3) full with all isi content?
    It is not for this reason that many users would like rFactor on steam?

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Glass half empty for you isn't it!

8. Rik

Rik Registered

Yes! For me is always half full :D

9. stonec

stonec Registered

The content installer should get updated to contain new content like Silverstone. I see no reason for a full installer, since much of the content is already outdated. For example a track like Portugal has visual bugs on new builds and looks poor in general, so no need to include that to a default installer.

10. Rik

Rik Registered

This, however, is another matter....

and for 7GB, today is not a problem for a lot of people. look this pic:
    [​IMG]
    it represents the size of the currently torrent pc games.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Add up all the green boxes on the downloads page under cars and tracks. There is no way it is feasible to have a download executable that large. :)

12. 88mphTim

Corrected that for you. :)

13. Rik

Rik Registered

if i'm not wrong total MB is 5099. and a torrent file with all the ISI content?

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

There's not much actual benefit.

You can go to download page and click all links one by one - you end up with lots of downloaded files in single folder on your disk.

Now you move all those files to rFactor packages folder - it's as easy as moving one file, actually :)
    Now you install all these in mod manager - go there and click install on everything. Just click, click, click, and you're done before you know it.

Yes, it's some additional work and the experience is different that in most commercial games, but then again, not many commercial games come with a lot of community content (and if they do, it's usually based on unzipping files). Working with mod manager and packages folder is something you would still do at some point, when using community content. So, in the end, full installer would save you some clicks at first, but then you would forget it even existed.

My point is - is it really such a value to have full installer? In the long run - I don't think so. It's an additional software package to maintain, test and distribute, so the benefit/cost factor doesn't look too good :)

I think it's just one of those things, when people ask some developers to do extra work, just to make something slightly more convenient. Just starting this topic and participating in it probably costed you more time than installing all official content would :)

15. Rik

Rik Registered

thanks for the reply.
    I respect your point.
    I personally find it easier with one download for all, even with a torrent client, you can pause and resume the download at various times. You can keep up to date with the same torrent file. You can save bandwidth. because the load of downloads. it is distributed among all the clients.
    do not have to constantly check to see if a new version is out. using the torrent sync.

I find it easier. but it is a personal matter. Also your consideration I find it valid.

16. 88mphTim

Every time we release content, we need a new installer. Every time we update content, we need a new installer. Regardless of whether the actual build has changed. Everyone mid-download gets cut off. And we're serving masses of data for very, very few people.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can even select them all and click Install once :cool:

18. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Yep, just hold Ctrl and highlight all the unistalled mods and Bobs ya Uncle. :)

19. Rik

Rik Registered

Yesterday I updated game stock car. I used the GSync. it is perfect. their idea could also be used in rFactor2?

Tapatalk

20. cubbi

cubbi Registered

There are custom solutions like this by some communities like bockbierbude.de - you can use their software to always have the latest ISI content.

Still I think the amount of people who actually have all official ISI content installed is quite low and I prefer the way it is now (the current full installer is a good idea for people who are new to the game, but once you know how to install packages you will likely go with light)