Build 90! Torrent only! Why Why Why!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by mac22, Jun 20, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Tbh I can`t remember what it was it was that long ago but it most certainly is possible as it happened but it wasn`t something that a great deal of people would have been downloading at the same time... I honestly can`t remember though.

I don`t have any limitation of upload etc so as I`ve said I`ll give it a go next update/build. :)

2. DeM

DeM Registered

When will the Autoupdater feature in the rfactor2 be available ISI ?

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Many torrent clients let you disable seeding or put a limit on the upload/download ratio. So you can set it up to not share at all, share only while you are downloading or share until you reach a ratio. This way it will not eat up a bunch of bandwidth if you forget to shut it down when you are done. You could even set it up to not use any more data then an HTTP download, although not sharing will cause other seeders to throttle you.

4. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Most likely ISI does it this way so they don't have to worry about a sudden surge in server load every time they do a release which would not be good for anyone. Putting them out as torrents in the beginning makes sure most people can get it quickly without speed issues.

5. lloydvdw

lloydvdw Registered

How Do I installed build 90?

I have installed build 85, and downloaded the build85to90 update (yes it is placed in the correct folder where my mods are).

If I click on the Update tab the only thing I can do is click on

- "Automatic Update" which tells me build 85 is up to date (you don't say...)
    - "Query" also tells me the same
    - "Verify" which tells me this: "Getting verification data. Please wait for result.
    Invalid path submitted by this application or there is any error with the verification service."

Please, can someone tell me how to update this?? Why does it have to be so complicated everytime :(...

Also, I'm able to install the renault clio cup, but when I installed the mod, the game crashed during startup (I suppose that's because it won't update to 90?)

Please help me thank you

6. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Try placing the update in the Updates folder instead of Packages :) .

7. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Clio is for version 90 only, uninstall clio, put 85-90 update in updates folder, then reinstall the clio

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You sir are either an amazingly unlucky individual, on par with Bad Luck Brian, or mistaken, or you've downloaded torrents from bad sources. I'm not referring to the speed issue, since that could well be true (bad firewall settings, badly seeded torrents, ISP interfering etc.), but the corrupt files thing is frankly unheard of. µTorrent does a hash check for every piece it downloads, and if it notices an error it'll discard the piece and download it again. It's next to impossible to manage to get a corrupted file using torrent, unless the original file is corrupted as well.

People go on about the speed of torrents, but to me that really is only number three on the list of why torrents beat DDL. Number two is that after they get going they don't rely on a single source, and number one is indeed the automatic hash checking of every piece of every file, it's really really really damn hard to get corrupted file using torrents. I've gotten thousands of corrupted files over the years through HTTP, but I can't remember a single one using torrents.

9. monkeysout

monkeysout Registered

Not everyone has a great internet connection hence torrent's aren't always suitable.

I have mobile broadband with limited upload at home so torrents are very slow downlaoding because i have to limit my upload.

I have access to the net at work (very fast @ HP) but torrent's are banned and blocked by proxy server.

HTTP is the original download method and should always be provided, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  10. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

+1

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

who says it's not?
    it is available but with some delay. why- it has been answered already.

12. monkeysout

monkeysout Registered

For next time mate ! I'm sure this was not the last patch ?

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

There are next builds coming.
    But I'm sure torrents will be provided again before http downloads . It's because http ones would be overloaded while accessed by all of us at once. So the first wave must be supported by torrents.
    Of course technically it is possible to provide powerful enough http based source. But cost of such solution is huge. Don't think so anyone would invest into since there are other ways (like torrent) which are accepted by majority of ISI customers.

14. lloydvdw

lloydvdw Registered

ok, that was retarded of myself... :D thanks for the tip it worked!!