Blackwood track conversion

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Leonardo1962, Feb 24, 2013.

1. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you, link seems to be on 1.0 version : http://www.mediafire.com/download/tjxh4mgz65psjlh/Blackwood_10.rfcmp.

2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Yes the link points to version 1 from feb 2013 ?

3. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Ups,

you are right, sorry for wrong direction > link is already fixed.

Link : Blackwood_v1.30.rfcmp

thanks

Leonardo1962 (Peter) :eek:

4. Hazi

Hazi Registered

5. Justy

Justy Registered

Amazeballs! Thankyou very much, got some fond memories of this track from LFS. :cool:

Cheers

6. yusupov

yusupov Registered

beautiful, thank you!

danger: cobra crossing...

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Superb. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GP Reverse is wonderfully dangerous in Spark F1 :D

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Amazing! This community continues to amaze me. :cool:

9. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Very very nice release !
    Thank you for your great work :D

10. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Unfortunatelly, still having big fps drop on my system.. Comparing to cca. 80 fps on Malasya and Silverstone, I'm having barely 30 fps on Blackwood..

I would try and see what setting has the biggest impact, maybe something can be done to optimize that..

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I tried a few different cars (Palatov, Clio and Celica) around the track and my system can't keep a steady 60 fps, even with only 15 AI on track.
    The biggest drops occur on the long straight after the first chicane and then again just before the uphill left/right leading unto the start/finish straight.

12. matf1

matf1 Registered

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for your works so far, it really is looking so much better.

I had to increase lod on objects down the main straight as you can see straight through the mesh until you get closer(800 to 1800). The banners on the bridge and the bridge itself also needed tweaks.
    The lack of real road is the biggest issue though, the low poly road unfortunately doesn't provide a good experience in my opinion.

Oh a few cut track warnings also on the exit of the gravel section onto the main straight on the rally cross config.

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Same here, tested yesterday, it will be a great track with a good road mesh density and realroad. I hope you will add this asap. Love the road track (not tested the rallycross one)

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Cheers Leonardo. :)

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Great improvements. Everything looks much more consistent. Excellent material settings and texture work. Good job Leonardo! :)

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1 on the bogging down points.

Thanks for effort on this great track. There is a far distance draw-in problem on the main back straight....and the slow-down in FPS occurs right when it comes in to view. Could these be related?

17. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Had some great laps on this track and even some really nice sprint races! Doing this I've noticed that:
    The AI is tipping on the brake on the finish line. I guess there is a little hole in the AIW but not every mod seems to have this issue.
    The sandbank in the turn after the long straight has an unclosed hole. I braked too late and run wide right into the barriers and the car felt through the ground with one half. So my race was over way too early. Guess there is just a hole in the terrain.
    The rally version of the track is currently useless, even the Quads don't work. I suppose to set the terrain of the dirt track to nearly tarmac values just as long as there are no probable rally vehicles for rF2.

With the next update I would like to get some more rF2 standard side objects like high-res trees and trackside vehilces or other static or animated objects. If possible it would be great if some more trackside objects would cast shadows onto the track too to give the whole thing a bit more life :cool:

Anyway: I love this track already and it's my absolute favourite track for sprint racing!

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Basic performance issues with the current version need to be solved before adding more performance-sapping objects and features.

19. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Of course this should have a higher prio, yes ;) Anyhow I have no great performance issues :confused: Maybe I should have a closer look next time ;)

20. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi,

thanks for your interest,

I'm proceeded working on Blackwood and release an improved version of Blackwood

Link : Blackwood_v1.31.rfcmp

Concerning the fps drop, i tried to improve performance of Blackwood track.

I do not know exactly, what is causing the bad performance.
    Some days, I had a blue screen and this destroyed my "player.JSON" file. After that I 've got a big enhancement of about 40% more fps. May be caused, by strange hdr settings in the old "player.JSON" file? (see graph)

View attachment 16893
    performance comparison

I did some further optimizations and found additional 8% more frames.
    Form startpoint of nearly 60 fps with version 1.02, i now have 95 fps (+58%) with version 1.31 with maximum quality setting, a very far sight, high quality shadowing and all objects in mirrors.

View attachment 16895
    final version 1.31 at start
    > Of course, i proceed searching and trying to get some more frames.

I completely reworked the calculations of realroad texturcoordinates. This was not very easy.
    The first three texturcoordinates have to be calculated for each vertex of realroad depending on the driving right hand direction found in the .AIW file.

View attachment 16894
    2nd texturcoordinates in realroad of as arrows

In a closed road course the first three texturcoordinates Tu Tv are describing a circle with radius 1.
    The picture above shows my result f.e. of the 2nd texturcoordinates shown as arrows for each vertex.
    Result: > Realroad now has a great realistic behaviour again with marbles and dirt.

The far distance draw-in problem on the main back straight was solved, by setting each lod of the affected objects individually. In the current Version 1.31 the visible far away objects do have a higher value for LOD (Level of Detail) in the gmt and they do not longer shine white or pop up.

View attachment 16896
    The AI is tipping on the brake on the finish line is not easy to solve. I checked the AIW values, normalized the AIW vectors and distances, with no effect. May its in the game.
    If you drive left of the AIWs, instead of behind, the AIW opponents do not hesitate. AIWs seems to become nervous, if you chase them in a curve and they drop throttle and drive slower on nearly every curve.
    > Drive carefully behind and be aware of sharp braking opponents.

View attachment 16897
    The cut track on rc layout warnings now are history. By the way i fixed some holes on GP and RC tracks.
    The sandbank hole in the turn after the long straight is also closed in version 1.31.

I added one (moveable) trackside vehicle. There is a hidden easteregg, try to find it. For further tree objects optimisations I need more time, this will come later.

Hope you like this version 1.31 of Blackwood it as I do.

Leonardo1962 (Peter)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015