BGI problem with build 118

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jka, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I've run a weird problem with "Blended Grass Infields" shader, which I can't solve.

Material transforms to weird yellow hue. This video shows the problem.

Object itself is separate object and not part of any RaceSurface (RealRoad) object. Same material is used all around the track, but only 2-3 objects have this problem. Problem is visible in dev mode and viewer as well.

Similar problems can be found also with Bump Spec Map T1 - shader, which I use parts of asphalt, where you cant drive. Asphalt brightness is very dark, almost black. Again, not all of there objects have this problem, but some of them.

I have deleted and rebuilded shader several times, tested with/without hdr and bloom, tested this with all shadow- and anti-aliasing levels, remapped textures and rebuilded gmt's, but any of these actions do not help. Problematic objects verts are welded and appropriate smoothing groups are applied.

Does anyone have a clue how to solve this?

Cheers!

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Looks weird.
    - Since it seems to be location/viewing position-dependent: Are you using and LOD stages?
    - Are you using the plugins included in the latest build? The latest CoreShaders.mas?

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

No LODs and latest CoreShaders and plugins.

All gmt's are recompiled.

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Strange... I made quick and dirty lofted oval to troubleshoot, if I have something wrong with my original track scene.

Asphalt is waaayyy too dark without specularity (it should be quite light gray) and concrete wall is yellow also.

I've double and triple checked my drivers versions and functionality, which seems to be ok.

I'm stuck at the moment and cannot find solution. Well, time to get some sleep and continue troubleshooting tomorrow...

Cheers!

5. ethone

ethone Registered

I've seen stuff being yellow when I had a non-RealRoad material/object included in a RaceSurface_ instance. Might that be it?

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yep, I'm aware of that.

In this case wall is separate object. Asphalt in also independent object and contains only RR material. Wall is good'n'old BumpSpecMap T1. In all of my tracks road is separate object and do not contain any other material that RR. It's not naming/export settings problem either, as it's named "RaceSurface_xx" and marked "Deform" also.

What is very strange is, that RR material has lost it's specularity completely. Is there anything changed in RR material settings in max with build 118, like mapping channel numbering etc.? Luc, mianiak? Can you confirm? Even if it is, it's not explaining Botniaring BGI material problem in certain objects. All BGI objects are separate, without RR or other material than BGI.

I will pack these tracks up and test them in single player mode. Maybe there is something wrong with dev mode... All ISI made tracks works correctly. I haven't yet tested any other community made track, except my own.

Could this be a CoreShaders problem, as dev mode uses different file than single player mode? Have anyone else faced this kind of problem? I will check out those files time tags, when I get back on my dev pc...

7. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

As far as I know, nothing has changed. Does this also happen without vertex alpha set up? Are you using any vertex colour on those objects?

Try loading the track in the Viewer with both CoreShaders?

8. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Second example do not have any vertex alpha/color. First one does, but bugging objects do not have them.

I will try load track in viewer with both codeshaders and report back soon.

9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Well, well... This is coming interesting... :D

First, I tested this "quick'n'dirty" oval with viewer and pointed it to Dev mode CoreShaders. It looks like it should, without yellow walls and correct hue of the road.
    View attachment 4440

Next, I tested same track in Dev mode incar, and concrete wall looks better but asphalt is dark without specularity.
    View attachment 4441

I have not edited the track in any way after yesterday tests.

In viewer, track looks exactly same with dev mode CoreShaders and "core" (C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core\Shared) CoreShaders.

EDIT: I'm running powerfull hardware test to my dev pc atm to make sure, that my hardware is ok. (I'm 99,99% sure it is...;))

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  10. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

In DevMode, go to the weather menu and toggle manual wetness on, move the slider in both directions. At some point some of the RealRoad code was moved to the shader, which resulted in tha dark roads initially. I'm fairly positive that's what you're seeing.

11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  12. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I'm having the same issue. I think it might think the road is wet, because if you change the 'Wet Colour' setting, the road will change.

13. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yes, adjusting wet road properties have effect on what you see in Dev mode. But I think it's not root of the problem in Dev Mode.

Have you tested your track in Viewer? At least mine look ok in viewer, so I think it's good to proceed. In the end, this is not major glitch and it will be fixed in future updates.

I got rid of BGI shader problem (yellow hue grass) simply deleting old grass object and creating new identical one. New objects seems to work correctly in Dev Mode too.

Cheers!

14. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Alright, looks good in viewer.