Audio Output?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by INSTG8R, Dec 26, 2012.

1. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Registered

A simple question about audio options. I looked around but couldn't find the answer. Does rFactor2 have 5.1 audio?

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

When you first start the sim, not in the launcher but after that where you have the car and track selection, click on options. On the audio tab on the bottom you have a drop down where you can choose your speaker configuration and will find 5.1 as one of the options.

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Registered

Awesome! Thanks!

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

There is an option for 5.1, but everytime i tried with preceding builds 5.1 didnt work and i stopped trying. Does 5.1 sound work for you Gearjammer?

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

It appeared to work for me, but I don't tend to pay that much attention to audio. I will have a go with it tomorrow and pay attention to see if the spatial audio is working correctly.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Some setups may work better with "WINDOWS SETTINGS" ie: what Windows sound control panel is set at.

Scroll further left past headphones ( some people have assumed headphones is the first )

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I tried again with build 134 and i get no surround sound (i don't hear a car that is behind me from rear speakers). I don't think its a setup problem cause 5.1 works great with all other programms, and i still haven't heard from anybody that 5.1 surround sound is working in rf2. Does it work for you DurgeDriven?

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well my amplfier ( Cambridge DTT ) is a bit of a catch 22 as it is 4 point analog only.

However in digital it mixes anything to 5.1 but I would not expect I would be hearing it correctly.

Certainly does not mix like good 5.1 game but I can hear sound movement this may just be right/ left though.

All my speakers sit on desktop so much of surround is lost on me. :)

9. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

It is a problem since quite some builds ago (maybe even from the first beta build). I don't recall anything sound related in any change log of any update so I conclude that the 5.1 surround is still broken (but I have not tested myself).

10. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Not had my 5.1 speakers working in any build so far, tried every setting in latest build and the only sound i can get from rear speakers is my engine using 5.1 in game setting. Tried different windows settings, with side pair instead of rear pair too as i also sit my rear speakers to the side of me on my desk.

7.1 doesnt work on my headset either.

Would be good if we could have a sound test feature in settings for each speaker and test the sound sliders individually and in combination. Not sure if this would be a pain to implement pulling sounds from different mods and for opponent volume at a fixed distance or something. Or just using a base set of sounds and levels.

Being able to save a sound set to each mod would be a nice feature too. I dont mess with the sound levels i've had for a while, but would be nice to tweak and not have the hassle of doing it everytime putting you off because you have to load game to test. Does anyone think this would be worthwhile?

1 person likes this.
  11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

1 person likes this.
  12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Registered

So this is still an up in the air question then. The option IS available in the game but it's actual functionality at this point is debatable still.