ATI vs nVidia performance and quality / render

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by caterkiller, May 25, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

So, with RadeonPro's 'spoof toggle' we can actually make rF2 to "think" that we have an nVidia card instead of ATI? I gotta try this! :)

2. RayL12

RayL12 Registered

Though not a direct fix for the many problems mentioned, there is a couple of points that may help take the load off the game(?)

1) Move the Virtual Memory (Paging File) from the System Disk (The Physical Disk, that is) and on to a spare HD. Don't be tempted to move the VM onto the partition of the same device the System is on.

2) Fix the Virtual Memory at a constant size rather than having W$ constantly resizing it. W$ can get very busy here, particularly when the disk space gets small.

Both my VM's are on the Primary of 'spare' drives and are 10Gb each.

Both these conditions free up the system somewhat.

...Ray.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I tried it and noticed no difference! (HD 7850 stock speeds)

4. Quo-Fan

Quo-Fan Registered

Also tried this and for the first time fps went from around 60 to 140 !!!
    But got a lot of aifacts then. Only the first start of RF2 showed me the huge frames, every further start (spoof Toggle ticked) just showed me the normal 60 frames without artifacts. It seems, that RF2 noticed, that someone wants to trick out the game...

Conclusion is, that higher frames are possible (higher fps and no artifacts would be great for ATI users)

5. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

No difference for me either.

6. lesthegringo

lesthegringo Registered

Well, guys, I have just tried the 'spoof' toggle thing, and I don't know it it made any difference or not, but what I do know is that with my system, which is

Core 2 Duo at 3Ghz
    Win 7 64 bit
    4gb DDR2 800 ram
    Asus P5E Deluxe Mobo
    dual ATI 5770 cards running crossfire
    Sata 320Gb hard drive
    G25 Wheel
    Homebuilt pedals, H pattern shift and control panel using Loe Bodnar control boards
    42 inch LCD high def TV

I can only get around 29 fps when operating with no antialiasing, no HDR, all the shadows, reflections, high level detail and non car movement off, operating in windowed mode at 1200 X 800 resolution! This is the 66 monaco mod, with no other cars visiible, and it drops as low as 24 fps!

RadeonPro reports that Crossfire is working.

Now, I certainly didn't expect 100fps from my system, but with everything off to only get 24 to 29 fps is atrocious. With the detail turned on and running at 1920 x 1280 with HDR, it drops to 17 fps.

to put it into perspective, Crysis runs at well over 60 fps maxed out with the highest native resolution of the monitor.

7. Devon

Devon Registered

Just bought this thing today and wow, am I stunned at how poor the graphics performance is - I have a 2600k with 6970 X2, crossfire reported working, and I am getting 25fps at 2650X1600 on moderate settings with only 1 car on track (and in TV cockpit view the car hood is so pixelated it looks like Porsche Unleashed lol). Meanwhile pCars is running at 90 fps on max settings. If I can't get this improved it's refund city for me.

Just checked with Afterburner - during race play the GPUs are only getting about a 50% load! And the in-game FPS counter shows 17 fps with only 4X AA and 2X AF. I can't believe ISI has this out in public with such terrible graphics performance, it's going to turn everyone off the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

As I read al this, I understand it's better not to buy ATI?
    I wanted to buy a 5870 vapor, grading up from my GTX 260 OC, but as I read here, probably the fps gets lower or at least not higher.

I'm looking for some more fps and that's because things are expensive enough, got some mouths to feed so there's no room for a lot of fps ;)
    My system is a core 2 duo 8200 @ 3,5Ghz with 4 gb ram and the already mentioned GTX 260 OC.
    I do get good fps; driving alone with all set to high or full, no shadows or AA, I get 60 to 80 fps at least. With other cars on track and a bit of shadow, it drops to 35 sometimes in traffic; that's hard to see then.

Do you guys figure I get enough to stay above the 60 with an GTX 560?

But again; buy Gforce, not ATI is the slogan?

9. MJP

MJP Registered

It appears the majority of problems do seem to come from ATI users and particularly those using Xfire. Quite a few report the game running better after they've disabled one of the cards!! I mean there's one poor guy out there whos game runs fine on a single card but when he puts the 2nd card in, rF2 reports he only has something silly like 150MB of VRAM and won't even start...OUCH!

Lets hope the recent announcement that ISI and AMD are talking to each other bears some fruit.

10. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi
    For the ATI card I find as parade has these frozen OfficeThe drivers at the top of 11.12 me freeze my PC.
    But since I came back to this version (11.12) I is no more no problem.

Hoping that it you aide

2 Sapphire HD5770 1Go in Croossfire
    Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2 Ghz
    8Go Gskill 10600 (2x4)
    3 x 22 pouces = 60-70 FPS
    1 22 pouces = 177 FPS
    MB: Crosshair IV formula
    G27
    CCC original

I note that to start windows drivers are not properly loaded and I am obliged once again to restart the PC.

Another note even if the drivers are not loaded and that the FPS are low it does not affect the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  11. hdj

hdj Registered

Need some "idiot" help with the Radeon Pro spoof adapter. Tried to get my ati 5750 to spoof a nVidia 560ti, but RP couldn't find the nV card id.

Do I need to have nVidia drivers installed for this to work or is there something else I haven't done ?

"RD Help" is way above my level of understanding.

12. team355

team355 Registered

hdj ,I typed in GTS 250 and hit search. And no you do not require nvidia drivers.

:)

13. hdj

hdj Registered

Cool, I'll give that a go, cheers !

14. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

With some combination of settings for Xfire handling and ingame syncing you get the situation where rFactor starts up and renders on both GPUs, but the secondary one isn't brought out of powersaving mode. So the secondary GPU is running at (for me) 250MHz adn maxing out BAD while the other one barely ticks over at 880MHz. The entire program is then waiting for the secondary GPU to do it's thing and everything grinds to a halt. In those occations it's no wonder performance is better with one GPU running at 880 than one idling at 880 and one struggling at 250 holding everything up.

For my 6990 (two 6970s on one card) I got both GPUs firing up with the Xfire setting set to 1x1 optimize, and GPU sync ingame. I have acceptable performance on a single screen now, triplescreen is still a slideshow.

15. Devon

Devon Registered

I find I get the "best" performance using the default crossfire mode, but most of the time the 2 GPUs (6970 X 2) are running at far less than max. I did have a weird thing happen on one test run where the framerate suddenly jumped from 20 to 120, stayed there for 4 or 5 seconds, and then dropped down to about 50 for another 10 seconds before bombing down to 20 again. Defintely something odd going on here.

16. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I play on a laptop.

(here, please insert some elevator music during around 1 hour for people stop laughing) ;)

Ok, seriously, I play on a laptop, Dell Workstation M6400 Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8 GHz/ ATI Firepro M7740 1Gb vram, on a 50 inch screen (projector), G25 and Sound 5.1 (SB Xtreme), and I'm really happy with that configuration :) I only need a cockpit as my working chair have wheels and move when I brake ;)

I'm able to make some comparisons with other games I'm playing on the same machine, and can say than the ATI part need definitively to be tuned by ISI. For example, I have several recent games and I always play them all options at maximum 1920x1080 but vsync off, and always get more than 30 fps. Skyrim with HD pack have around 45 fps, BF3 40fps, Max Payne 3 is around 35 fps, etc. All with max options, full HD but vsync. Not talking about rF1 reaching several hundred of fps...

With all options at maximum but vsync with rFactor 2 I have around 20 fps which is very poor. To reach a playable 30-45 fps I need to lower shadows, track, use fxaa instead of AA and remove HDR. That's fine anyway, but far away lower than all others games I use to play. I know it's a beta, so i'm hoping to be able to raise all options step by step until the final gold version :) I'm optimistic :)

17. Favio

Favio Registered

I have the same problem, but with a 6870, and only see 744 mb.

18. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Two things: One, you didn't buy this, not from a legal point of view, no matter your intention. You bought the finished product, and are allowed to participate in testing. Two, it is a work in progress, not a finished product. Many people have reported performance increases in every build, and there are a ton of graphics things coming up, not to mention they've now made a deal with AMD to sort out some of the graphics stuff including AMD taking rF2 into account when designing drivers (nVidia already does this). The best thing you can do is report back with your settings and issues and help make sure the problems are fixed. The worst thing you can do is just leave. =)

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The program doesn't actually use this figure for anything, supposedly it doesn't matter at all.

20. Tiago Guerreiro

Tiago Guerreiro Registered

where can i find this information?? If you have a link to give i will be appreciated!