ATI and NVIDIA updates

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by DurgeDriven, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Even a 4690 @ Turbo 3.9Ghz would run as well in rF2 as a Sandy at 4.8GHz I think.......... I had a 2500K@4.5Ghz ( 5GHz winter )

They a tiny bit snappier in desktop and faster in encoding too.

Add in the performance gain from PCE-e 3.0 for rF2 :cool:

*** NOTE That motherboard for SLi 8x8x you can't use the 3rd slot for anything.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, 4690k is great. You don't need 4790k it's pretty much the same chip but with Hyperthreading. Forget it.

Cores/threads
    Sandy
    Ivy
    Haswell / Devil's Canyon

4c/4t
    4670k / 4690k

4c/8t
    4770k / 4790k

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Btw Nice on the new Samsung, makes a Intel750 look like a brick. lool p

But it sort of makes my point you can go out spend 800 aussie dollars on "nice" i7/Z97 setup
    happy to sacrifice the best SLi performance then get sucker punched when they release the 3.0x4 SSDs.

Even single card user faces the same prospect.

Tis' a cruel world lool

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

True, if someone doesn't know it'll affect their GPU then that sucks

I've heard this before but when I had triple 780 Tis (for only a week or two) they were running at true PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x,16x, and 8x. I think the reserved PCI-E lanes are something else. From the PCH instead of the CPU or something.

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

40 full? I'm confused now... I went to look it up and Wiki says 32...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have no idea what that's explaining. Maybe it's speaking theoretically for one device (i.e. 1 GPU). The i7-970, 980 etc. (can't remember the name), Sandy-E, Ivy-E, and H-E all include / are all capable of 40 PCI-E lanes.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

That's what I thought... 40. But wanted to check... And as we all know, if you ever want to find erroneous information... Wikipedia is the place to be.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Haswell-E 5820K = 28 lanes

Seems weirdo choice to me.

edit: Ah no I see.....8x8x8x and you could run a 4xSSD lol

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol, ya, weird amount of lanes on the 5820k

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

The payoff in smoothness is quite noticeable.
    The framerate is an added bonus at PCI-e 3.0...for both RF2 and AC.
    I'm not sure about other games...but certainly those two benefit mega.
    I recently purchased a GTX970 and was having a small issue getting PCI-e 3.0 to run with my current Biostar X79 and I7-3820.
    Believe it or not, the GTX670 at PCI-e 3.0 was running RF2 and AC just slightly slower...but much, much smoother at the exact settings.
    I was actually prepared to return the 970 and continue using the 670, if I couldn't get PCI-e 3.0 working on the former....that how close it was (comparing the faster card at PCI-e 2.0 to the slower at 3.0).
    I could care less about maximum frame rate, what I do care about is smoothness during running.
    I love seeing the scenery go by as a nice smooth blur.:D
    It still amazes me how capable at 3.0 the 670 is... even after almost three years.
    The Biostar TP X79 motherboard came with (2) 16X PCI-e 3.0 and (1) 8X PCI-e 3.0 lanes.
    The only difference being, that it was not officially supported and had to be turned on with the hack for Sandy Bridge-E processors.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

That's it!
    If you have an Nvidia card and supported MB/CPU and are not currently running this setting, prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Next problem for last Gen. owners like me ... W8.1 and bloody Fast Boot ! lol

Update GPU-Z , you will get a UEFI window , if it is checked you are cool for native UEFI with no CSM

I had to update bios on my GTX670.

P.S. Still can't get Fast Boot running. lol ( think it may be my X-Fi Titanium )

Going to strip tower down tonight to bare essentials have another go.

Last install with a heaps of new drivers fixed my problem with lower Fps in rF2 W8.1 too Spin.

Not quite sure how but I'll take it. ..........lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Whats uefi for, what benefit? How do you check # of supported lanes of a mobo?

-via Tapatalk (S4)

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I' going to try the same, Durge (new drivers) as soon as I get my PC up and running.

It's determined by the chipset and the CPU. For example, the X99 chipset is capable of 40 lanes but the 5820k CPU for that platform is only capable of up to 24 lanes, or 28 or something - I can't remember exactly but you get the point.

I'm not sure if there are motherboards out there that can limit you, e.g., a cheap motherboard can only support 16 lanes even though it uses a chipset as well as CPU capable of 40 lanes. I don't know if that situation even exists.

Pretty much this:

If you have a Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell / Devil's Canyon - and I think Broadwell and Skylake - CPU then you have 16 lanes.

If you have Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E, and some of the prior equivalent CPUs (e.g. i7-970), you have 40 lanes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  16. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I was actually showing Nvidia Inspector which doesn't show the EUFI in the same location. Here's my GPU-Z showing that it didn't work for me.

View attachment 17031

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Read that get back.

W8
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20256-uefi-firmware-settings-boot-inside-windows-8-a.html
    *** As well READ RELATED ARTICLES at bottom of page.

W7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

I realize that.

I said for Last GEN users, your Series 7xx is covered factory bios.

From GTX680 down you may have to flash bios for "native" UEFI support.

Without UEFI graphics you can't turn off CSM in bios ( you can but reboot you will see it is re-enabled )

If you can't turn off CSM you can't run native UEFI, if you cant run UEFI you can't run FastBoot.

IE:

Intel IGP are UEFI

One of the first mistakes users make doing a u beaut SSD FastBoot/UEFI/GPT setup
    with a older gaming GPU.

So if you have problems with CSM or fastboot check your Graphics card UEFI
    and other hardware

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
  18. coops

coops Banned

durge how i flash bios not 1 thing i ever been game enough to play with as dont want to stuff it up. csm ?

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

*** I am not using FastBoot or W8.1 again ( gone back to good 'Ol W7HP64Bit lol )

With W7 I don't see any advantage to UEFI / GPT

BIOS flashing EVGA THIS IS NOT YOUR BIOS I CANT SEEM TO FIND GTX680
    http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-670-Firmware-Update-v80045C-Updated-041613-m1703680.aspx

If you don't have that UEFI box ticked AND you want to migrate to W8.1 with Full EFI and FastBoot you would need UEFI support

I AM NOT SAYING your BIOS flash will do it.

My Bios already said UEFI but it was unticked in GPU-Z . I flashed it now its ticked.

Until I flashed the GTX670 bios I was actually running W8.1 in UEFI-CSM not native UEFI so CSM was still enabled.

Gigabyte has a flash tool you just run it point to bios file press OK.

CSM is ...........

Basically unless you use W8.1 / W10 and your hardware boot really fast with Fast/Ultra Boot Enabled there is no need for UEFI or GPT imo.

Setting up UEFI in windows 7 can be trickier depending on hardware

I gone back to a W7 MBR partition, I can disable hibernation ( fast Boot in W8.1 needs it )

Fastboot is not operating proper for me even after enabling UEFI for GTX670 but at least it does now turn off CSM.

If you Video card is not UEFI supported you cant turn CSM off ergo you can't run full EFI.

W7 MBR mode - CSM ON

W7/W8 GPT legacy mode - UEFI/CSM

W8 GPT mode - UEFI

I was going to swap images I did it before, I put pics in some thread here here swapping from W7 to W8 and back to W7 in 7-8 minutes.

But something with my new Motherboard H97 Gaming is not right.
    It installs full UEFI and disables CSM and runs Ultra/Fast Boot fine.
    Only problem it is no faster restarting then a W7-W8 MBR partition. ( **Fastboot only speeds up restarts not shutdowns )

On my last Motherboard FastBoot worked properly took 4-5 seconds to restart and I never even had to play with Bios ..........I don't get it.

READ the 2 articles I linked covers UEFI/CSM I think ;)

=================

EDIT

My advice if you were doing MBR to GPT for W8.1-W10

Move everything from your tower including video card/s / sound / DVD and extra USB hardware

Use the Intel IGP and just the primary hardrive and K/B and Mouse to test a OS install first.
    Check everything is working as it should be.
    FastBoot PC should restart in a few seconds

AMD I have no clue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

See mine here
    http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4211#bios

Even though the Bios I was already running F12 said UEFI I still needed F13.

Pretty pointless in the end, I mean it has let me disable CSM in Bios I guess............ lol

P.S.

If I get a new SSD I will try full EFI and W8-10 again.

BTW I said w8.1 rF2 "seemed" better now it was first run from pits.

Then next reboot or install or whatever I did it went back to dropping frames again like last time I tired it.

Wierdo I never had such a variation in 2 OS I install in the same game/sim I mean ever

In W7 the fps never moves in pits if I move wheel right left with 100% look it slowly rolls a few fps difference.

In W8.1 the fps flutters 5 fps when its stationary , I move the wheel it goes crazy, 10+ fps ?

I do a full 360 chase cam rotation of a car fast and it is slightly lagging in W8.1 W7 is just so smooth

wtf? lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015