Are we getting better graphics later?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTraX, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Pits

Pits Registered

There's nothing like a little reminder, many things were said "on both sides" that seemed to not have worked out so well, I think we can let people still ask the boring yet relevant questions without been slain by the Post, eh.

I don't think C.A.R.S should be bought up myself, not quite a fair fight yet but will be interesting to see how this might progress.
    For me it's all about RF2 but it's a long road.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Hello Tim, we know ISI is working on this software, but as also mentioned a lot of times, there are some priorities probably moving gfx issues down the list.
    Since you are argued through the last year, that WIP pictures doesn't show final product quality, and after a year nothing's changed, would you like to say what will be improved in gfx near future? Which ones are more important to ISI, which less.
    If current state of vissuals will be used in gold release or we may count on improvements discussed on the forum.

with regards.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I disagree that "nothing has changed". So I am unable to answer your question.

Thanks,

Tim.

4. Anonim

Anonim Registered

Well said Tim! I too, disagree with everyone who says that nothing has changed in terms of graphics.

But to be honest, it’s not about graphics at all, because the new gmotor engine has a great potential and I can see that by building and exporting my own mods/cars..
    the problem was different: Isi built a couple of tracks and cars (included in the beta) that do not represent the full potential of the new engine. They wanted to save fps.. but it was wrong. I can rebuild the megane car and put it into the game with 10 times better graphics and textures on it. The framerate with 20 AI (same new models) will be only very SLIGHTLY decreased. Isi could do that but they didn’t want to.

5. Spyder

Spyder Registered

... So how long until you release your Megane with 10 times better graphics?? Sounds amazing! What mods did you do for RF1?

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Can you point me to features which changes screenshots appearance? To me - nothing has changed while comparing screenshots I refered to.

Besides, true or not, It shouldn't affect ability to answer my questions.

thank you

7. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Sounds great but still it would require better shaders and finished lighting. Something we do not have right now in the beta. Bigger poly cars and textures will obviously improve things but it's not gonna have a dramatic effect.

I find the graphics decent enough now as they are and a big improvement over rF1 and always feel immersed in the sim and that's what matters really. I do however though want to see a big improvement come release in terms all the above i.e the shaders etc. It's things like reflections i miss right now and every model seeming to have a matt coat of paint. The windscreen reflections in the Megane are great with the carbon dash reflecting onto it. But the cars seem to lack reflections from the cockpit with the F.35

8. 88mphTim

I cannot tell you what will be improved, because I cannot see from your perspective and what you see/don't see as improvement.

When you say nothing has changed, this immediately shows me that you see something different to me, so I would wish to avoid giving you information based on my perspective.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

lol. Looking for a arguement are ya? I doubt Tim will oblige you. You've said your gripe about the graphics how many times? You've been heard, time to look for something else man!!

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You know... I got no any answer on my questions about graphics.
    Since a year ago I was pointed to 'released version will have better gfx than one shown on wip screenshots' and it becomes not true (imho), I'm just curious about ISI plans for gold release in this area. Is it wrong to ask? I think it is worse that I cannot get single complete answer.

But you are right.. maybe asking about gfx may be boring. I'm going to ask about sound. Since I have some knowledge about sound processing in digital domain I can see (hear) issues in this area too. I would like to know may I count on improvements for this too.

Happy?

OK, Let's make it simplier.
    For example WIP shots from Monaco looked cartoon-like. And the same appears at current stage. Will materials, shaders, lighting model be improved for gold release? Answers like "yes we want to improve this area a lot for gold to reach quality available in pCars" or "no, it is not so important to us. maybe in further patches" would be fine to me. And to be clear I'm not talking about art-work but about gfx engine.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  11. Anonim

Anonim Registered

1. I won't release meganes because i'm not interested in it. I will release lamborghini car pack HD mod for RF2.
    2. I didn't create mods for rf1

12. Anonim

Anonim Registered

no offence, but I do share Tim's behavior. I don't understand your language............. you should play crysis 2 with coloured aliens and big explosions.

13. 88mphTim

It's not wrong to ask, but you begin with "nothing has changed" - which to me is not what I see, so immediately you put yourself into a different area with responses. I think (hope) it's due to the native language being different, but sometimes it is really hard to answer you due to stuff like that.

It's not that you are being ignored, disliked, or anything like that, it's just confusing sometimes to answer due to what seems to be a massively different opinion. :)

If? Answered below. How? In most areas (we have actually made improvements across the board, which you do not see in your opinion). I am pretty happy with the base art, I'm happy with the improvements (which you are not in your opinion), and expecting more of them across the board (but in your opinion, I am not sure these will be sufficient because your opinions are that we are still in the same place as a year+ ago).

I don't really understand why you wish me to list what is to be improved. We can't work on everything we think needs work?

14. FONismo

FONismo Registered

LOL

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

That;s the point, people who do not understand nature of light, why scene is bad rendered or good, think that "better gfx" may be used only in alien-shooters.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'll ask it in plain English Tim as its obvious to me what Maxym is on about ( ;) ):

Once the Gold is released, will there be future upgrades to the Graphics Engine? including that of HDR, FXAA/Post Effects (or whatever its called!)

The above quote could be attributed to anything to do with RF2, so hence the confusion and the need for the plain question.
    (Yes we know ISI will continue to Support RF2 and release updates, new content etc but nothing has been said regarding actuall Graphical updates as far as I can tell)

1 person likes this.
  17. 88mphTim

Same answer though...

Yes it can be attributed to anything to do with rF2, because it is.

As we have said before, we will continue to work on rF2, as needed, after it's release. If we feel it needs updating in an area, we will be doing it. We have stated in the past both features and content.

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This reminds me - I ran a CART Factor league once and this mod has no auto lift.
    Someone asked me why did we remove auto lift? I said that there is no answer to that question :)

As for "nothing has changed":

I remember timelapse video with drying line that looked very weird, I remember screenshots with no HDR, I remember screenshots with sun reflection in shadows, I remember screens with static reflections on cars...

These are some examples of things that did change.
    I could agree with a statement saying that things haven't changed as much as we would want to, or are not as good as they could be, but not with a statement that nothing has changed.

It puts MaXyM's question in bad light if he "demands" more progress and fails to see progress allready made.

One more thing I keep in mind is that ISI has limited team size and therefore is not working on every aspect of the product simultaneously.

Actually I don't think so :)

I don't think MaXyM had any postprocessing in mind. What we both miss the most in rF2 at the moment is a good set material properties for artists to work with.

Check out my post about it - explains a lot: LINK

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It may sounds like, even if community will want better gfx, ISI will no feel the need to to anything with it.

I think it is not what we are want to hear.

20. 88mphTim

No, nothing to do with that, actually. I've been talking about you more than the software.

YOU cannot see any improvement since before we had many of the things KS mentioned. This means that if you cannot see the changes, we cannot confirm that YOU will be able to see any changes when we make them. Because we see things already which you do not, so how can it be guaranteed you will see other things?

I'm not even talking about our software, I'm talking about a lack of perception from you compared to KS, for example, and the fact that this means I can't promise you what you will see when you look at something, and it is that 'promise' that you seem to be trying to demand from me.