Are headlights likely to ever cast shadows?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BazzaLB, Feb 10, 2013.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

It seems that night racing should be awash wish shadows, but car headlights don't seem to cast any shadows at all. Is this a limitation of the engine (not sure if rf2 uses deferred rendering or not) or is this likely to be introduced at some point. Headlight shadows really add to the immersion of tight night racing.

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I'd like to know this aswell. Also is there any plans on putting in flashing headlights for LMP/GT and flashing brakelights for hard braking?

"Rules state that GT cars should have yellow headlights, while the prototype cars would have white lights.
    The cars are not restricted in how the field of light is spread in front of the car.
    The rules state that the driver must be able to flash lights across the front of the car; typically this means that the cars have four lights (two on each side of the front of the car); usually only the inside or outside pair of lights is flashed. This lets the driver signal to other traffic that they are passing without turning all of their lights off at the same time."

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the flashing lights in the vid above are from LED lighting. Especially considering that it was all shot with high speed cameras.
    I know the flashers you mean though. IIRC it was a Dubai 24 hour race I saw, and the flashers worked very well in alerting the lower class cars and getting the quick guys through.

4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

+1

I always missed that in rf night races.

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yes you are correct, but its so pretty!

6. Ricoo

Ricoo Registered

It would be nice if headlight could cast light... night racing is impossible.

7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I've been doing plenty of night racing so have no idea what you mean.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You must be confused with some other racing sim. rF2 cars that have lights do cast light ahead and behind with tail lights. They just don't cast shadows.

9. Some1

Some1 Registered

When we are already taking about lights, is it just me or does anybody else notice as well that the headlights (and taillights) lag behind the car all the time? (especially, when watching replay and fast forwarding). They are really jerky...

10. Ricoo

Ricoo Registered

Just to clarify, on some mod tracks (not all) light casted by the headlight disappear, blink.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

That sounds like something that should be brought to the attention of the track modder so they can fix it there.