Anyone using projectors? Or looking into it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jiffymarker, Jul 7, 2013.

1. jiffymarker

jiffymarker Registered

I'm thinking of selling my triple screens in favor of a single projector. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? Those of you who are running this kind of setup, what should I be looking for?
    Any input is of use.
    Thanks community!

Btw, selling 3 acer gd235hz displays:)

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I was, then I was going to wait for led/laser projectors to hit 1080p 3d vision, (think they maybe have now )

But since the consumer version of the oculus rift should be out next year (& possibly other vr options by then) I'm not considering anything other an a VR headset now

(currently using 3x27" 3d vision

3. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Check out this tread from a couple weeks ago:

"Help me build my first simracing rig!"

Has some decent info about using a projector. I had triple 26" LED/LCDs at 720p and went to an LED 720p projector and love it. Please check that thread and if you have any additional questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers.

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I'd love to have the extra cash (and space) for trying a Two projector setup. Do the stitching/blending right in the middle keeping the resolution manageable as well as the cost. Not sure if ANY sim will do a centered 2 screen setup.

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The use of a projector is going to be very similar to using a very large TV. Be careful when you think about setting one up as you want to consider how large the image will have to be to appear realistic, unless you don't really care about that aspect, then you can make it how ever big you want. A couple of us have discussed and looked into multiple projectors and have come to the conclusion that running either a single on a flat plane or triples or more on a hemisphere dome would be best, but you want rear mounted projectors and screens that are capable of showing images projected from the rear.

The issues you will run into is ambient light issues for the most part. If there is a lot of light in the room, the images on screen will appear washed out with most projectors, so room lighting needs to be considered as well. There is also software that you will want to get that will allow you to map the image onto your screen in order to get the best picture without it looking warped or stretched in places on a curved screen. BTW, you can literally spends thousands and thousands on a projector setup depending on the end result you want to have.

6. elbo

elbo Registered

I'm using a projector for rfactor 2. My advice would be consider back projection instead so your shadow doesn't hit the screen. Also consider a curved screen to get a good feeling of immersion (various software solutions are available to deal with the distrotion created by a curved screen, i use nthusim). I am using one projector on my setup and am happy with it.

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Any pics and info would be greatly appreciated, which projector?

8. elbo

elbo Registered

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Oh yes, now I remember lol.