Anyone know of where i can buy good quality step linear or progressive springs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, thanks jamie but that's in the states.

Anyhow, i've just come to realise that it shouldn't matter if i use a linear spring because the load cell itself acts as a progressive spring. So if i get a stiff enough linear spring, the two together should provide a nice progressive spring effect (or so goes the theory).

Just about to order this 4 springs:

http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1718
    http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1721
    http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1720
    http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1719

There's a good selection of spring rates in there and combined with some preload adjustment on the dampener, i should be able to get to customise a specific feel i'll like.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ordered.

Fingers crossed this wasn't a huge waste of money.

I now have a set of CSR-Elite pedals with tilton pads if anyone's interested? :p

5. PMC

PMC Registered

Just a thought , Being you wanted a progressive spring and i'm not sure how well it would work , you could use 2 springs , maybe 2 50mm springs of different rates or maybe a 60mm 40mm combination ,obviously the smaller one is the stronger spring , . Problem with this is you may lose a bit of full compression due to the ends of the coils .

If you think the linear is going to work go with it , just offering alts

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thanks PMC. I was thinking about doing that, making a step linear spring which i came to realise that the video i posted in the op was actually using a step linear spring and not a progressive one.

Well, i committed to purchasing the linear springs and i'll see how they go first and if it's not to my liking, i'll give a step linear a try.

Thanks for the suggestion still, much appreciated.

7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

9. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Hoping for ya bud :)

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The CSP v2 pedals arrived about a week ago but the load cell is faulty and whilst it works their is a massive brake pedal deadzone and the sensitivity is faulty because it takes about as much force on level 3 (1= requires most force, 10 = requires least force) on my older CSR-Elite pedals to reach 100% as it does with level 10 on the CSP v2. If i use level 1, with all my weight and force i can get it no higher than 10% input. Fanatec are sending me a replacement loadcell.

The new springs arrived on the same day ("yay") but i use the wrong measurements so they did not fit and i returned them for some smaller diameter springs that fit like a glove.

(these were from first batch, wrong dimensions)
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, i then proceeded to install them onto my fanatec CSL seat which was a disaster. Long story short, for all the CSL seats pro's, it has one major design flaw which lead to it breaking on me this time (but i'm getting replacement parts from fanatec under warranty which i'm happy about).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really liked the CSL seat, very comfy and ergonomically sound with the seat and wheel placement but not so much for the pedals but it still worked.

Anyhow, i ended up deciding to get another sim rig ("GT Omega Pro Racing Simulator Basic") that also has more inclination on the pedal holders to give a more vertical face to the pedals. There was a hassle with delivery on this (didn't receive the seat) but Leo the owner was true to his word and refunded me the cost of Saturday delivery because it didn't all arrive (was very nice of him).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to drill two extra holes for the pedals in the near future to secure the pedals properly (located under the pedal foot rest).

Derek Speare Design tilton pads arrived today which was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect them for at least another weak as their from the US and very cheap as a whole to buy (only £23 including p&p). I had purchased a set for my CSR-Elite pedals before and i loved them so i bought another ofc (because unfortunately the screw hole separation are not the same for both pedals.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the white piece of paper i have wedged under the brake pedal to offset the initial deadzone a little so i can still use it for now.

Lastly, i have a much tougher spring on the damper unit for the brake pedal and it adds a nice resistance whilst the brake pedal still feels like a load cell.

[​IMG]

11. Magus

Magus Registered

DrR1pper, do you mind me asking which ones you got at the end and from where? How much did it cost you in total? Also in UK and thinking of doing the same.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Np to ask ofc, lol.

http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1669
    http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1671

I kept these two but there was also this one which would fit the inner diameter requirements and offered less resistance (which you might be interested in) but it needs a washer with 18mm inner diameter to get it to stay on the damper properly (so i didn't bother keeping it).

http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1668

I've also come to realise that if you were to use a progressive spring, you wouldn't be making much use of it's progressiveness because the amount of travel/compression on the spring used is rather small (only about 10-20%) in comparison to it's entire length.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Dr1ripper

I've had x2 sets of club sport pedals, on both I had to replace the load cells ( like you one set arrived with an already faulty load cell ), load cells are fine but on these pedals using the load cell they supply I wouldn't waste my time using it, as you know I ending up building a set of hydraulic pedals.

You've done the right thing modding them, good set up! Put a shaker on there using sim vibe !

14. Magus

Magus Registered

Thank you for the info!

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I have heard quite a few stories about the csp load cell failures and non from csr-elite owners (oddly enough) and i've never had a problem with the csr-elites load cell. Oh well, fingers crossed this will be the only faulty load cell issue i have with the csp.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  16. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Loving the curved plates, did you sell your old ones........ *massive hint* :rolleyes:

Adrian have you shown how you did your pedals? I have a clubsport board and some sensors spare and was thinking about building a set of proper pedals. For the brake can I use a standard 3 wire pressure sensor in place of the loadcell? having built a car I got a fair few cylinders, sensor, etc laying about, just need a pedal box out of something. Don't suppose you would take some pics and tell us what you did to make your pedals?

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, i still have my csr-elite pedals with the DSD tilton pads. I plan on selling the CSR-Elite pedals with the tilton pads. Are you interested in just the pads?

18. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yes I would be :) but understand if you want to keep them on there. It will definitely make them more sellable I would have thought