Any chance rF2 might have a real-time sector analyzer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I don't like iRacing very much but I love its sector analyzer and I think rF2 could really benefit from having a similar feature.

Can anybody at ISI comment on the likelihood of something like this actually happening?

Youtube video

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I only recently saw this in iRacing, and I'm surprised no one's done it for rFactor already. I don't think it would be too hard to do, and from reading between the lines of one of Tim's posts I think there'll be a little more info available for plugin developers in rF2 which'll make this sort of thing easier to implement.

3. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Looks kinda like the ghost car implementation. You could use the ghost car data for the analyzer. Just thinking out loud.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

It's a very handy tool although it can't be used during replays which would make it even more useful. I'm sure this could be easily done but someone with some knowledge in plugins.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is possible even in rf1. You can store car position each 0.5 sec and then compare it to current one, but... noone done such plugin which may mean it is not must-be feature.
    PersonallyI'm against such unrealistic features which moves sim in arcade direction.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What, as opposed to realtime tyre temps, engine temps, tyre wear... ? :)

7. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I don't see how a sector analyzer that gives you information on whether or not you are slower or faster in a current sector is "arcade" in nature. Don't real racing teams use this data to analyze their driver's performance? This data is vital to real racing and professional simulations as well.

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

The lap time analyser is basically real time telemetry so I don't really see how it's unrealistic. The real time tire temps and wear are the ones I don't like.

9. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Lap timing comparisons & deltas are readily available features in real world racing even at a club racing level.

http://www.stackltd.com/predict.html

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Given Motec's inability to do a 'proper' lap comparison (because you can't easily measure 'distance travelled around the track' in real life, so it's not set up for it), and the need to sometimes resync laps to be able to use GPS data (having gone to the trouble of getting GPS going in my own motec plugin), when I saw that feature in iRacing I immediately thought it was a great feature.

If rF2 wasn't somewhat imminent I'd probably already be making it, or indeed already be finished, because it's very feasible to get a rFDynHUD widget doing that without too much work. Still amazed someone more talented hasn't already thrown out something similar.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yes.. but this data are available not for driver but for team. And ussualy driver got info about sector based timediffs, not realtime meter by meter.
    Use spotter plugin and you will get what real drivers got.

Nice solution. However must be inacurate cause data is read (probably) from wheels. But OK - put it into car display, make inaccurate as in RL and it I will agree with this ;)

12. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Who wants to listen to that thing constantly? I'd rather have the data on my screen so I can actually see it. But hey, that's personal preference. I still don't see how it's "arcade" in nature.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It's arcadish in the same way as red-green driving line drawn on the track, circuit map on the screen, tens of real time values rendered on screen (xD plugin etc), TV-brodcast-like items etc etc.

I'm quite hard core simracer, and for me all NFS like features just kills spirit of simracing. but as you said, it is still depending on personal tast. So I'm just show my personal opinion. I'm not forcing anybody to NOT write such plugin ;)

14. henri200

henri200 Registered

In F1 they have delta time on their display as well and mainly use it during qualifying. Example video - on the right display you can see the delta time.

I've wished such a plugin for rFactor since I tried it in iRacing, it's good help during testing.

15. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I think it uses gps to determine position and time to get there. I would much prefer a stack type dash display than the hud overlays too...

16. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

The dirty great coloured bar with moving numbers in iRacing is a bit over-the-top. Ha. And too arcade-ish IMO. Something more discrete and appropriate for the car would be preferable. Just imagine historic racing with that thing up there.

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Formula 1 teams are currently running a real-time sector split.

Look at Vettel's pole lap from Singapore:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXJmtObACfk

His sector split is on the right hand side of the gear indicator.

Edit: Sorry henri200, just realised you posted the same info!

18. Bty

Bty Registered

Its called delta lap time.

I love this feature, since you can immediately tell if you did a good line or not.

19. Bty

Bty Registered

In F1 they do have real time telemetry. The wear is another story.

20. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Almost all forms of motorsport have real time telemetry. I know NASCAR doesn't. As for tire wear there is no way of telling in real time how much rubber is left on the tire. After the tire comes off the car I believe they do a core sample. Not 100 percent sure though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011