Anoyed with the Rumble strips pulling you into them ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

theres some settings you can adjust around the forums here that really helped with the G25 problems :) they have been posted in a number of threads, have a look :)

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats a fact isnt it? Im asking people with real racing experience, as Ive seen from IRL races, some curbs get car airborn and some have no effect at all.
    I bet IRL drivers memorize which is which, for each track.

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Without a doubt Nikos, heheh, I am sure they would want to know which one is going to upset their car so much that they have to make drastic changes in order to keep on track. :)

4. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Anyone remeber Masa's issues with kerbs in India? Im sure there are videos but here is an interesting article. http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/04849

All kerbs are very different and different cars and setups will handle the same kerbs very different, I havent driven any real ones that suck you in too much but most tracks Ive driven dont have very tall kerbs. Generaly there are some kerbs you treat as an extended piece of tarmac and others you need to avoid like the plague. As in the article above Masa was riding the outside edge of a kerb nobody else was and the other drivers didnt see it as an issue as they simply avoided that.

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ive seen in rf2, some kerbs looking like scissors at the outside (opposite of tarmack). Shouldnt these cut tires? Does it happen IRL?

6. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I actually often wondered about getting tyre damage from inside edge of kerbs as was mentioned by one of the other guys earlier, on some tracks people actually use the inside edge of a kerb to hook a tyre around it and go around a bit quicker. I haven't done this myself before but have seen it done on tv quite a bit.

Rally drivers do this too on many asphalt stages, though it may cause damage I haven't seen any real world examples of this cutting a tyre but Im sure it must have a few times. It does show how tough tyres are in real life and when you consider the loads they have to deal with it sometimes amazes me they even stay on the rim. A real kerb will normally not have a very sharp edge on it so to avoid cutting tyres but there are just so many different ones around that anything is possible.

I have noticed the AI have some pretty big issues with kerbs in RF2 when they are fairly big and unsettle the car yet are needed to be used for good laptimes. A good example is Sebring with one of the 3rd gear right handers mid track where most AI tend to pile up at 100% and 120% in most cars Ive driven there the AI will have huge issues on that corner.

It took me a while to get the hang of it as it has a big kerb on the inside and also one of those big ones that suck you in on exit. You need to carry a bit of speed through here for the next fast section but get it a little wrong and it can turn ugly pretty quickly lol. Same with many of the kerbs at ohio but it just comes down to the individual kerbs as they are very individual

I can imagine how this would have an effect on steering even in a real car as they are pretty big and steep, but you need to use them a little bit for a good laptime, you will need to know how the car will react before using it to your advantage. With us we can learn how to deal with these and if we should avoid them or not but the AI arent clever enough to deal with these issues and just repeat the same mistakes until they have all crashed.

Here is a great example of V8's kerb hopping at Adelaide, most open wheelers would fall to pieces being driven the same way.

Here is some onboard coverage same track in an F3 notice how they use hardly any kerb through turn 1. Skip to 2:50 for the race start but notice how they avoid kerbs but V8s just smash over them.

Thats also the main reason why tyres are placed on the inside of corners for v8 racing because they would just end up cutting everywhere.

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I think we're in danger of over-analyzing and getting off topic. Of course a single seater can't ride kerbs like a tin top, I think we all know this Marty.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Kerb riding differences are more to do with roll and stiffness than difference in potential tire damage.

9. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Well yeah exactly, a single seater is way stiffer than a tin top of course, and more brittle.