Animations

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by feels3, Mar 12, 2012.

1. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I wanna to add few animations to my track and I'm curious how to do that ;)

First what I need are animated flags but creating that kind of animations using bones is difficult and effects are unnatural.

I did animation with clothes modifier but it seems doesn't work in rf2 because I have only first frame in rf2.

Is there any other way to do that?

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Add me to the list of interested parties, I tried using "simple" keyframe animation but could only get the first frame as well.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Keyframe animation should work in rF2 also, but I haven't tested it yet...

If you check out some ISI build rF2 track, there is lots of pre-rendered keyframe textures (flags and so on...).

Cheers!

4. feels3

I mean animated geometry not animated textures.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Are you guys setting the Get Frames From: to 'Keyframes' in the Animation rollout (in which case, you'll need to have at least two keyframes on the bones)? Otherwise, it looks like it defaults to only frames 0-1 at 1FPS.

In order to do flags and cloth, you probably have to create a series of morph targets from your cloth simulation, and then export those. Unfortunately, I don't think ISI has covered setting up morph targets in any of their tutorials yet. Plus, I believe in this day and age that morph targets tend to be a lot slower than bone animation (since, I believe, bone anim. can be done on the GPU now).

6. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I'm still a bit vague with this because my focus has been elsewhere, but I can give a brief guide to help get started. Most of this can be understood from studying the corner worker samples. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1573-Tutorials-Modding-Downloads

Start a new project for each different animation. (you can import track/terrain mesh to position things)
    Your object should be at 0,0,0 in 3d space. (animate the object at 0,0,0 first before you move it to it's position in the scene)
    You need to use the skin modifier on the bones.
    Set up vert weights manually.
    Select all bones and key the first frame at 0 by clicking 'set key'. Then turn on auto keying and move to frame 1 and position the bones for the first frame of the animation and so on.

Then analyse the corner workers sample's for how to set up the animation export. It's pretty straight forward, give it a name, set; selected nodes, get frames from keyframes, set start frame 0 and set end frame and check skip frame 0.

I hope that helps, like I said, I am still a bit vague on this, so I probably can't help much more than this for now. But it should be enough to get a solid start happening

* I advise to export your animation at 0,0,0 first to make sure it all works before you move it into position.

7. feels3

Yes I read Track_Technology from ISI but I'm looking the other way to do animation without using bones.
    I like clothes modifier, it's easy to use and effects are very good.

Did you tried to create flags animation with bones?
    This is not the best way to do that ;)