Animation Playback Frame Rate

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bink, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Bink

Bink Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Personally I just edit tracks scn - file after exporting animation successfully... ;)

Each animated object has own scn entries to animation:

Instance=CameraMan_01
    {
    VisGroups=(39)
    MeshFile=CameraMan_01.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(Static, Solid) ShadowGroups=(8)
    AnimFile=CRANECAM_IDLE.ANM AutoStart=(1) PlaybackRate=(0.9500)
    }

I edit scn and finetune animation playback rate to achieve wanted result. For instance, if you use slightly different playback rate for each animated team member, you can use same animation files all of them. When each of them have slightly different playback rate, then they don't look like army of robots but have their own "identity".

Because animation properties is specified in scn - file, it's very worky (or even impossible) to add this feature in dev mode, because then it should update track scn file "on-the-fly" and reload it again immediately.

Cheers!

3. Bink

Bink Registered

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Animation works in dev mode and playback rate can be adjusted (editing scn file by hand and reload track in dev mode), but you can't adjust playback rate on dev/game mode while track is loaded and you are on the track (or monitor).

If you look at this video, you can see slight movement of the team member. I have dozend these guys hanging around on garage area, sharing two only two animations. Each one of them have slightly different playback rate, so they don't "behave" like cloned robots.

Did I understood correctly, that you got morphed object animation work in rF2? For some reason, I never couldn't make it work myself... This would be heaven for flag animation, because then cloth/wind modifiers can be used for realistic result. It's not so easy to achieve wanted result with bone-animated flags...

Cheers!

5. Bink

Bink Registered

6. Bink

Bink Registered

7. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Thank you, Bink! :cool:

I will try it out immediately.

Cheers!

8. Bink

Bink Registered

9. ethone

ethone Registered

I'll try your animation tomorrow but am already thankful for having something to work with, and your notes! I tried a very basic animation (rotating a box, a single active bone) and could not get it to work, so I dropped the whole thing for a while.