Alternative FREE 3D modeller packages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Rather than 3dsmax, what other programmes are there which can do pretty decent modelling, for free? Mapping is not essential.

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Blender, get it from Blender.org, some things in it are better than in MAX, but be sure to google Blender keys cheat sheet also, it is not as menu driven as MAX even it has been improved, you still really need to use hotkeys as that is a lot easier and faster in a long run.

However you can't currently make rFactor2 files with Blender, someone needs to make plugin to make that happen, but you can export .3ds files and many other type so one can then get files converted to rF2 with 3dsimed or max.

Oh yes, 3dsimed is quite nice tool also, but it does costs you money, of course not as much as MAX, but still not free.

It takes about a day or two to start getting hang of hotkeys in Blender, after that I found it being faster and somehow more fluent extension of arm than MAX when modelling (that little what I can do which is not much), texturing etc. can't comment, but it has tools in it, just haven't figured out them much yet.

1 person likes this.
  3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Thanks I'll have a look into it Jtbo, many thanks!

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think Autocad has a freeware for students if you fit this category.

5. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

As Nikos said, if you are currently a post-secondary student you can get a free copy of the various suites of current software offered by 3DS's parent company (forget the name at the moment), which includes 3DS. I think it also includes Alias. Now I forget who all is in that company! :S

A decent alternative is Zmodeler. I used to use it a lot back in the SCGT days, and I still use the current version (zModeler 2) it from time to time for some really quick polygon exploration before jumping into CAD for work projects. Kind of a proof-of-concept type of workflow. Once you know how to use it, it's quite quick to work with. As polygon limits in games increase, though, I don't know how useful it'll be as I've never done anything in it other than draw one triangle at a time.

1 person likes this.
  6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

ZModeller is actually quite powerful once you get into using it. It uses nurbs as well as being able to perform many of the same tasks you can do with 3DS Max.

7. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I've gotta read up on the later stuff. I had no idea it had NURBS!

8. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

There is also gMax, which is a free lite version of 3DS Max.
    http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
    Be sure to install the Tutorials for complete lessons on using it. They are a lot of fun, easy to understand and will teach you most everything you need to know to get going with it.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

thx Butch

10. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Yes, Autodesk has a student program. If you are not a student but know someone who is, you can ask them to make the account for you.

I am not a student. However, my father was in the military and that also qualifies and therefore I was able to get a student version of every program that Autodesk offers.

Keep in mind, though that these versions are NOT to be used for profit.

11. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Interesting, never heard of this. Are gMotor plugins compatible with this?

12. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I don't know if they are or not.

13. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

If I remember right the last version of gmax was from 5 or 6 years ago. Some people were asking ISI to get gmax support for rF1. It didnt work with very many games because autodesk wanted a lot of money from gamedevs(understandably so, since for making game models it was basicly the same as max from the same era).

You were able to save models in a supported filetype then use other programs to convert to the one you need though.

14. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012