aiw~thing video (6)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bink, Feb 13, 2015.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

Hi Bink.
    Hoping everything is ok.

2. Bink

Bink Registered

Hi lagg,

Been re-working some of the fast line detection, and the handler matrix functions. Found some things that it didn't 'know' how to recognize.

One of the new handlers is for corner sequences like Istanbul "Corner 8" (which starts with a half hexagonal sequence of shallow corners and short straights).

It's mostly been infrastructure coding, rather than testing drive line fits... which is why there are no images lately.

Soon, when I get back to the grunt work of parameterizing & testing buttloads of corner / seq combinations, I'll post some images of the results.

Till then, here's some Spanish fine art: View attachment 20170

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Hahaha Bultaco?
    It looks impressive.
    Nicer work than the current coding part.
    [emoji12]
    Enviado desde mi HUAWEI GRA-L09 mediante Tapatalk

4. Radar

Radar Registered

Any more progress Bink on this little sorry big project ?

5. Bink

Bink Registered

...-
    .-
    -.-.
    .-
    -
    ---

.-.-.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

Enjoy them

Ar???

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI GRA-L09 mediante Tapatalk

7. Bink

Bink Registered

.-.-. is also EOM (end of message)

(waaaay old school Tapatalk)

8. lagg

lagg Registered

Ah! THX.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Enjoy your vacation ;)

10. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Any news on the project?

11. Bink

Bink Registered

Hey mschreiner...

Still a half a world away from there atm. Having a great time, but code muscles are getting flabby... be back sometime in the next couple of weeks.

surf-bink

12. lagg

lagg Registered

Enjoy your holydays, Bink.:cool:

13. Bink

Bink Registered

Been away for a bit.... Just noticed that there are some changes for rF2 in ownership... development... licenses.... upgrade platform... etc.

Not sure what this all means, as it doesn't look like they've announced what their specific intensions are yet.

This aiw~thing I've been working on may not even be compatible (or necessary) with whatever rF2 becomes.

I'll check back in January '17 to see if there is any more info on the new platform, and where they intend on taking it.... before deciding if I'm still interested in developing for rF2 .

take care,
    bink

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/roadmap-update-october-2016.53473/ ?

15. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

If your scripts are compatible with 3ds Max 2017, then they'll be very useful. It would be a shame if all this works is thrown in the garbage.

RD: gJED tool. I understand it still needs some development to become a complete tool. Do you have any plans for this or similar going forward?

MO: Yes we are looking at that. There are actually two parts to the modding tools that I think are very interesting there. First is our 3D Studio plugins that we have had for a long time, and that might need some upgrading because they don't work with the latest 3D Studio version yet. The other is gJED, our tool that makes it a little bit easier to import 3D scenes in a quite common format, and bring them into the game. That's obviously still under development. It was still under development when we took over, so we will definitely be trying to do some more work stabilising and finishing that. We will probably be looking at how those tools will evolve when we move to DX11, so I think we will take all of those at the same time and try to evolve them a little bit more.

Somebody from the rF2 track team is already working with Max 2017
    ISI Track Team Data.jpg

16. Bink

Bink Registered

Hi Gijs...

I currently have a perpetual license for max 2011, and started coding it on a 2005 PC under xpPro (and now the same pc under win7)... [pretty sure this PC's hardware is NOT even compatible with win10].

So... if I want to continue with this targeting max17:
    -- windows 10 (~$200)
    -- a reasonable new pc to run it on (~$3000)
    -- a year max subscription for max17 (~$1500) to finish up..
    -- another year of max17 (or 18) subscription to beta test (another ~$1500)..
    [to support this freebie until it is stable on everyone's max & OS versions...]
    -- subscription to whatever the hell 'steam' is...
    -- and a couple more years of my life...

I can't imagine how long it would take to debug for max versions 2012 through 2016.. and how I would get those versions, and the various intermediate platforms & OS's people may be using.

It's been about a couple years since I even plugged in the simulator hardware to drive a track in rF2 (and no real desire to ever do that again). The chassis, seat, and G25 wheel / pedals are pretty much in the way now, and I'll soon be trashing them or donating them to some (other) charity.

I recently wrote a PM to one of the posters on this thread... telling him that after almost 10 years of learning rF1 / rF2... BTB, gimp, blender, and eventually buying/learning max, rendering, AO, & shaders ....
    and then figuring out what every parameter in AIW files does (with zero help from ISI) and how to code aiw file creation from a track mesh ... ... that I've been loosing interest in rF2.

It was starting to feel a lot like a job [except with a job, you get piles of money at the end of each week to soothe your soul]. Imagine doing whatever your employment is for the last 10 years for free. Pretty hard to maintain enthusiasm after awhile.

After a half century of jobs, films, shows, gigs, flights, concert tours, and living in various hotels around the world, I retired a decade ago and don't really want or need another job, and I've got a couple more things on my "bucket-list" that need doing before I check out.

Now.. when winter comes, like years past, I may get a 'second wind' and start coding on this again.

Or.. maybe someone will want the source code, along with 50 or so pages explaining how the software learns the track... how all the points one must pass a fast-spline through are calculated, the names of the various functions I've written that do these tasks... how my vector calculus functions work to smoothly connect those points (and their parameterization) ... etc... and let them finish the parameterizing of the functions for the matrix that creates the fast lines.

Anyhow... just pretty burnt on this rF2 AIW atm, and haven't yet figured out how (or if) I want to proceed.

Let's wait and see what rF2 ends up being when they release the first build next year, and like I said, maybe it will seem more appealing at that time.

So as not to end on such a dismal note... I am having a blast on new (non-simulator) activities that are more along the line of one of the arts (assisted by technology... so, more right brain stuff than left).

For the first time in a few years, I'm really enjoying my retirement and being a user instead of a developer.

Gijs van Elderen likes this.
  17. lagg

lagg Registered

This is the most important.
    Sometimes we forget that this is a hobby.
    From time to time it's necessary to take some fresh air, and the time will tell us what to do.

18. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Enjoy your break! I am pretty sure things should not change to dramatically with AIW files. :)

19. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Is there a working release link at all, looks like the perfect program for AIW's

SS

20. Bink

Bink Registered

I've decided to stop developing for rF2 aiw.

Hopefully RTB, TChapman, or someone else will come up with a reasonable solution to the rF2 AIW workflow / pipeline bottleneck. Many good ways to go about this... none of which need to be executed from within a simulation.

I'll check the forum occasionally on the chance that someone with the requisite expertise expresses an interest in continuing development on aiw~thing.

Thanks to jka, lagg, mschreiner, hazi, piddy, butters, radar, dradecki, timW, MM, Anders, and all that have offered advice during this past decade.

(the code weasel formerly known as) bink