aiw~thing video (6)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bink, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Bink

Bink Registered

moving slow so you can pause to read the tool tips...

much easier to see in full screen, 1080p

Basic aiw file create:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawpkHjG0GM

Move Car Spots:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3AeN4-yDg

Spline Editor... viewport follow:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zILvkou3W-g

Collision and Cut Corner Adjust:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sye1SGmMSpM

Mouse_Draw Collision:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R49Oc0Zv1A

xPlanes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J71X-x9JVjY

View attachment 15856

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  2. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Very Nice! that will end up saving a tone of time once you get the hang of it!

3. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Where can people get this great tool?

4. Bink

Bink Registered

@mschreiner thanks..

@MerlinC .. still messing with a couple things..
    Just about have it to the point where mschreiner and a few others are going to beta test it, and tell me what's user-hostile about it.
    [It's never been away from home, so we'll see how that goes.]
    After that it should be here on this forum.

5. Butters

Butters Registered

Looking awesome certainly lucky to have people with these kinds of skills to create tools for the community.

6. Radar

Radar Registered

Very nice indeed.. Looking forward to it Bink.

7. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Great Tool! Thanks :)

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This is very impressive. It would be cool if you could load an existing AIW in 3DS without having access to the original track model.

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Damn!

10. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I'm amazed :D. Thank you for your effort

11. Rik

Rik Registered

Wow! Great work!!! :D

12. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

Extraordinary work.

13. Bink

Bink Registered

thanks.. gracias.. etc...

@Mario ... If you don't mind, I'll probably want to re-post your little test track (seen in the video) when releasing the script.... with completed aiw... so... people would have a finished version to mod and play with, and they could make a copy to practice building new aiw on.

@Noel ... I got burnt-out on this awhile back, and started writing a script that did only that.... read - edit - write. The aiw~thing functions that allow you to move pace car icons, pit boxes & garage spots were initially from the other script. Pit boxes (which have wayPoints) are a bit tougher than garage spots (which don't). You select & move the pitBox icon, then when you release the mouse button, it aligns it's transform to the surface normal under it.... it's wayPoints have to follow it (reposition themselves to the new pos & tm), re-calc it's ori, and it needs to reconnect itself to the pit lane wayPoints based on it's new location. They use the same controls I moved pace car icons with in the video (side, path, rotate).

Maybe aiw~thing will learn to read one day. Atm, I'm trying NOT to implement anything new until after it's ready for (and has been) released. Then I'll reintegrate 'road paint lines', 'grid & pitBox paint', and several other data structures (written a couple years ago) that have not made it into the current version.

-- About the aiw file made in the video... Some of the data is suspicious looking... particularly the wp_ori... I remember spending some time trying to de-bug it on this little track, thinking that there are too many zeros for the grid ori. It turned out to be OK; the track in the video is VERY flat on the straight where the grid is. So... the ori's 'pitch' and 'roll' radian values were indeed supposed to be zeros.

14. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

@Bink You are free to use the "little test track" . The propose of track is for tests.

15. Bink

Bink Registered

New video attached to first post (above): "aiwThing Move Car Spots"

16. Bink

Bink Registered

New vid (first post above): "aiwThing Spline Editor ... viewport follow editing"

17. Butters

Butters Registered

Loving it, certainly something I have always struggled with especially grids. Can't wait to see the end product going to save RF2 modders hours of time and I love the fact it's all done in Max so much easier than in game tools. Keep it up can't wait :)

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Auto generation of ALT grid by settings an offset from standing-start grid in meters would be cool :)

19. Bink

Bink Registered

@Butters... It's been quite a while since I did the grid, but if I remember correctly, it was written to allow as many columns as you want (1 row, many columns ~= a motocross start). At the time, it was tested, but I haven't tried it since, and a lot of infrastructure has been changed around it since then... so I'm not sure if it still works. That will be something I'll need to test again.. for ovals at least... as stock car and some indycar oval races need three column grids sometimes.

There's a bunch of stuff that has not been videoed yet... like the options for oval tracks where you may not have a nice clean edge to select for a pit lane path. So... the script allows you to draw the pit lane path with your mouse clicks creating the path's spline. When doing this, the viewport 'follows' your mouse clicks to make it easier to build. Same with collision corridors (red spline)... there is an option to mouse-draw them (click = normal Bezier spline knot..... ctrl-click = corner spline knot.... esc to quit drawing...etc...). The cut-corner corridors (orange spline) allows you to 'clone' it from either the main track corridors (like in the first video), or you can also clone it from the collision corridors... whatever works better for your track build.

The rollout currently called "Help" will be re-named to "System". It allows setting the speed for "viewport moves" while doing the basic aiw (rollouts 1 --> 10), and has a "Don't Move My Viewports" check-box in case you find the moves irritating. It has a bunch of other things too... like a button for the "Useful Information" dialog you see at the start of the first video, button to print out wp data, etc... etc.. Any misc. settings that don't 'fit' elsewhere are in this rollout.

Videos yet to be done for existing functionality:
    -- 'Mouse-Draw' Pit Path Splines (mostly for oval tracks)
    -- 'Mouse-Draw' Corridor Splines
    -- Garage Paths (up to 4 pit extensions)
    -- Select Vertex to place Garage Spots (for garages NOT on pit lane)
    -- Build Status Rollout
    -- Alt-Grid
    -- Show / Hide
    -- Teleport
    -- System Rollout (currently called 'Help')
    -- Driving Lines (Wet, Block, Pace Car line... etc..)
    -- Other spline editing functions ('mouse move', straighten, corner knot, Multiple Knot side, path and rotate moves ... etc...)

@WiZPER... The Alt-grid and Teleport rollouts (control panels) are already done. Videos soon. They aren't very fancy (2 buttons each... 'make' & 'clear'). They key off of whatever spacing you set when you made the start line grid (and require that grid is already made). For alt-grid you just select a (pit lane) waypoint, press a button, and they are built behind the waypoint. Same with Teleport (select main track waypoint, and press 'make'). Like this: View attachment 15762

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

It all sounds amazing :)