'Add Other Components' - Package names relating to the Mod name

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by MarcG, Jun 7, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

When (trying) to make a vmod its simple enough to add the Track & Mod you wish to use, but when you get to the "Add Other Components" stage it gets messy:

- Imagine a hundred mods all with their own sound/talent files
    - Now imagine none of those files names have any reference to the Mod they are supposed to be linked too
    - Proceed to bang head against a wall!

Whats wrong is the naming, currently you have things like FVA and DFV for sound, to the guy who wants to create a quick so called "30second" vmod what the hell do those relate too?! does he have to open each Core compents folder just to find out which sound file relates to which mod? see the problem yet?!

The naming needs to be made clearer, example:

- Mod is relased and called FordFocusMod
    - Add Other Components section has "FordFocusMod-Sound", "FordFocusMod-Talent" automatically named when the mod was created in the first place.....thats where this naming convention needs to take place.

Its all well and good saying to mod developers "make sure you name your components relating to your mod" but we all know this wont happen for some, they will just release with random names and voila you get the head banging against wall scenario!

apologies if this has already been brought up and/or noticed

2. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Read this last night, thought about it and although I agree in principle how will it be fixed??

Releasing a voluntary "naiming protocol" wont work, people ignore them, do what they want. It only takes one to do it to screw it.

I like the simplicity of your example.....but I wasnt able to come up with a realistic workable solution for the creation of the package...I would have to go back through the process, didnt have time last night.

3. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Yea this part of the sausage making isn't that pretty right now. Its good to see someone looking under the hood.

We can't rely on the names being creating in a way that will always make sense. Forcing a prefix derived from mod name is one approach.

1 person likes this.
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

two further ideas:

I see a file extension *.mft in with sounds & talent fiels, could you not add a line in there that relates to the mods name and then the "Add Other Components" list reads from that line?

If not how about a timestamp next to the mods when you select them, example:
    MOD Selection - FordFocusMod-23rd May 2012 13:45
    Add Other Components - FFSounds-23rd May 2012 13:45, FFTalent-23rd May 2012 13:45
    That way the vmod creation reads thje installed date/time of the mod and then adds that next to the items in the list? might help to see which oddly named files relate to which mod if names cannot be played with.