A good analysis of grip: rFactor 2 vs iRacing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Alesi

Alesi Registered

f1 2011-2013 by codemasters there also were real f1 driver who tests the game and helps and they also said that the game "like real f1 car"...

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This doesn't mean a thing. One company will hire driver for marketing reasons and make him say a few kind words to the camera. Other company will ask drivers for honest testing to help them with development.

Which one ISI is? Well, so far I haven't seen them publishing any PR materials with drivers trying to convince people how realistic rF2 is... I guess they weren't hired just for PR, then.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

iRacing *cough* PR *cough*

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We didn't do any advertising about Luciano. F2 did. No monetary interest on any side.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

5. 88mphTim

We have had drivers asking us if they could be a spokesperson. Usually they use our product (which i wish would entitle us to a mention, but doesn't seem to) and email us, feeling we should pay them in some way so they'll say so in public (along with helmet stickers and stuff, they usually offer). Usually they ask what we could license 3-4 major items for, so it's completely not worth it at all... lol

Only time there's money involved, as an example (so far at least) is someone like Darren from AMR, who uses rF in his simulation business called Base Performance. But, he's paying us, not the other way around. An rF Pro endorsement also, it's someone actively using the product. That's also what most if the iRacing guys are. There's nothing wrong with a real driver mentioning a sim because he uses it, whether for fun or training. I just wish more of our users did it. :)

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Dont be silly, you work for ISI, so we cant trust anything you say...bias and all that...XD

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Don't even listen to the previous poster. I am glad you shared this info. For me it is a much more valuable info than any other I ever read or hear in the marketing strategies of a racing sim software.

I remeber Anthony Davidson in codemaster's diary saying how realistic it was. I remember as well uninstalling that software (the "free full demo" someone uploaded :D) several minutes after trying it.

Getting a call from several drivers would be what I would love to happen as a developer and therefore the most reliable and valuable info regarding how good this software is.

Imagine you solve the graphical/performance issues, which I bet you still are far from happy still with... I know bugs will be solved (for sure it will take time and get us mad in between).

However for this graphics/performance improvement I would say sometging radical needs to be done and not just wait until technolgy improves and everybody owns a titan equivalent to move the game as expected by all us.

And thanks for your posts. All the info coming from ISI is always welcome. Especially when it is in the opening post of a thread which ends in "...released" :D

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

*ahem* That was sarcasm on my part, calm down mate...oh I know, its hard to convey through text, but still...

Either way, see my previous posts...

9. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I've been to BPS a couple of times and they have a brilliant set up there. Also they have just unveiled their GT simulator. RadioleMans.com also did a great take on it -- mentioning rFactor in some detail -- here:

http://audio.rpix.org.uk/inside/inside_baseperf_2012.mp3

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Upps :eek:

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

lol XD

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And according to Allan McNish SimRaceWay is über cool and realistic, haha :D

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

And near bankrupt. Hahaha.

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

In the OP, the question of grip is based on lap times, am I right?

Is grip not the force holding together the tire to the road? So that implies that both the road and the tire must have grip values of some sort?

So why is it that he is comparing a track made by iRacing to a track made by a modding group converted to rF2? How do we know the disparity in lap times isn't due to differences in the level of grip of the road surface of the converted, fan-modded track? Wouldn't it have made more sense to compare a track made by ISI?

Even better, find the results of a big race at a track such as LRP and compare to the results to a big race at iRacing's LRP and compare to the results of the real LRP. Just jumping on a track and running laps is a piss-poor way of comparing lap times. On race day I am always a few seconds faster than I was on the first day of practice.

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You are a genius Guy! :rolleyes:

16. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

and you my friend need to learn the important skill of diplomacy. The ability to attack an idea while showing respect to the person.
    This thread has contained some really interesting dissertations and debate from some very fast and knowledgable people.
    It helps us all develop and grow our knowledge.
    The approach you have shown is just totally counterproductive let alone unpleasant.
    Even the guys that have raced the real cars showed more respect to the work of the video creator and the OP
    Just because its on the internet doesnt prevent us from showing a little repect.

17. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

Like this? ;)

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I saw that video and IMHO the ISI version of LRP is a lot more accurate looking. But it doesn't compare lap times and it doesn't let you know if that is race trim, quali, 1st practice, warm-up or what.

But it is EXACTLY what we need to compare them if only we had more information!

19. 88mphTim

Exactly. I was in a rental car in my comparison video. Editing is easy. I sped up and slowed down the videos to match position on purpose (because I was showing the track model, not the similarities between a SB2000 and my rental).

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

It should be possible to calculate.
    A car is constant driving 100 km/h.
    With 0% slip the car should reach 100km in 1hour.
    If the car reach lets say 90km in 1hour even with constant speed at 100km/h there is a 10% slip.

You guys just need the WR on that track for the specific car to set max slip value.

I just don't know how to implement it to the sim. May it is possible to let AI control the drivers car physic to automate the process for further adjustments of adhesion and such.