3D mesh wielding

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jameswesty, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Does the 3d mesh on tracks have to be one complete mesh ?

All my track is 1 mesh with evenly spaced poly's but for track side details or maybe some side details like curbs can I simply attach one a primitive to the mesh without physicaly welding the vertices and have it work properly ?

Thanks ! ( sorry if this has already been covered links to R factor specific tutorials would be massive help )

2. ethone

ethone Registered

No, they do not have to be one consecutive mesh. The old skyboxes were not directly connected to anything for example (unless you had such a tall object that it poked through the sky;)).

In some cases not welding can be advantageous for shading or allowing you to modify that element later on.

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

If i have 2 meshes protruding through eachother how does it render in Rf2 ?

will it have realy bad jaggy intersect or does the engine handle it ok ?

I'm used to making 100% clean optamized meshes but if i can get away with lazy intersects instead of having to cut things into eachother properly this will save a huge amount of time! ( and im sure nowerdays th performance hit is neglagable)

just need to know how it displays my first time making tracks for RF :)

4. ethone

ethone Registered

When in doubt, just try it. :)

Generally, the engine handles "lazy" intersects fine. I never placed trees completely perfectly aligned with the ground. Or marshall posts. Or the metal scaffolding structure of grandstands or tv camera posts.
    Moveable objects (e.g. cones) or shadow casters should stand as cleanly on top of the ground they need to react with. At least that was the case with rF1.

5. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

do you know where i can find documentation that covers the exsporting of track into Rfactor 2 , and allso how to make new textures and put them in 3ds max as a shader for rf2

(i just mean on the RF side of things , i know how to model and texture just never done it for rf2)

thanks :) I have found a PDF document for tracks on the wiki page are there any other documents? cheers

What i need is a step by step process of how to exsport from 3ds max to Rfactor :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012