1028 Server batch files

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Woodee, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Having trouble running batch files...

Have put my ini file in my "C:\Documents\rfactor2\UserData\Log\Results" folder

Then I try and run my "pitgroups.ini" file, while logged in as admin on the server. It then says "Can't find batch file".

Does this happen with anyone else?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can only say I've been doing this fine in 1028 as per previous builds. The topic rang a bell but the 2 year old threads I found of a similar nature didn't have a clear issue or resolution.

The only difference I can see is the files I create (via plugin) don't have an extension, so for example the file 'G1' I just run bia '/batch g1' and it works fine. Not sure if that's useful.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

Is that the path of the Installation from that you run the Dedicated Server or the one from that you join the Server?

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The path is where I put the ini batch files on the dedi server.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

I just tried it out and it's the same here.
    But it works if i enter the /batch <file> command in the Dedicated UIs Chat field.
    Maybe it worths a Bug-report.

@Lazza: it works normal with 1028 on your side?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is going the same way as a thread two years ago lol

No, I'm running a client-side batch file from the client. I've never tried running a server-side batch file from the client, and never thought it would work, but in 2013 there was a thread reporting that doing that no longer worked although it apparently had previously.

*Note: I'm assuming the server and client don't share the same player folder, so the batch files would need to be in different folders. Also while I'm here, I realise the thread title is 'server batch files' so I should have known what was being talked about. Sorry :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
  7. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Haven't had a problem loading a 'grid.ini' file with info on starting positions running b1028 last friday. The file was located in ...\rfactor2\UserData\Log\Results on the server and I typed the command '/batch grid.ini' in the chat line at the bottom of the dedicated server window. The starting positions of all drivers were loaded successfully. It read 'xyz was moved to position x' in the chat for all drivers, so I am positive it works as it is supposed to.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yes... but my problem is when trying to run it from client when logged in as admin :)

9. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have no problems with batch files from client using commands "/batch mas.ini" & "/batch grid.ini".

We use this every official race night. Our second race is always a reverse grid from the first and weight ballast.

Just remember you can't set the grid until your in warm up, but weight can be added any time.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

I did already post that it works from the Dedicated Server UI chat line. ;)
    Normally it also should work to run /batch commands, if you are a client and has admin-status, directly from the chat/command-line.
    Or was there another announcement from ISI?
    It of course only works, as someone already mentioned, in WarmUp.

Are you using Build 1028?

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

yes

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you running a file located on the server, from the client? This is where confusion generally comes in... I'm running a local file from my client, it's agreed above a file on the server works fine from the dedi interface, what we're dealing with here (it seems) is running a batch file on the server from a logged in client.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

Hmm, that's strange.....

Yes, as Woodee has written:

14. redapg

redapg Registered

Ahh, i guess i've found the "problem".

After Nibiru said that it works for him, i did another try.

I have to say that i tested it this way before (and i guess that Woodee did the same):
    I started the Dedicated Server from the Installation "rF2_DediTest", where the "race.ini" file was included in the ..\...\Results folder.
    Then i joined the Server by using my Installation "rFactor2".
    When on the Server with Admin-status and in Warmup, the command "/batch race" ended with "Batch file not found" Message.
    Both rFactor installations are on the same machine.

When i do the same BUT put the race.ini file into the ..\Results folder of the Client Installation also, the batch command works.

So it seems as if it works correctly, if the Server and Client are on different machines, as Nibiru reported.
    But it don't works "correctly", if both Installations are on the same machine and only the Server Installation has the batch file included.

So in the end it works normal right? :)

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

We have a few admins for the server. We use the gridedit app from rF1 to make the grid.ini. That creates the file in your machine in the results folder (you need to direct it to your results folder) then login as admin while on server and command "/batch grid.ini" changes our grid. It worked last Monday.

16. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

yes

My server sits right beside me on a seperate machine so I could change the grid manually but I needed it for the other admins.

I can't comment about using from the same install.

Have you tried 2 installs on same machine?

1/ server
    2/client

17. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, i used 2 installs on same machine.

And it seems as if i remembered wrong:

Didn't it work in the past ONLY if the batch file was inside of the Server-Installation?

If Clients with Admin Status can execute batch files from their own machines, would open the possibility to cause many troubles on a Server, if the wrong people get admin-status...

18. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

thats the way it worked for us in rF1 as well

I guess so if the wrong people new the admin password but there is always super admin that over rules everything

19. redapg

redapg Registered

If a Super-admin is present. ;)
    But god help him if a "bad" admin executes a batch file with x weight-adds, grid-position changes.... at the almost end of the WarmUp, that will mess up everything/costs unneccessary work, if it happens e.g. in a league race.

20. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have been using this method for 8 years now and not had that problem (touch wood) yet. Just need to be selective with who has the permissions.

But yes What a horror if that scenario played out