1028 Server batch files

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Woodee, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nibiru is describing running a local (client) batch file, while logged in as admin.

Can anyone confirm being able to execute a batch file that's sitting on the server from a logged-in client? Are we still talking about this?

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

As far as I know batch files need to be on the same machine that is making the command to execute it.

In saying that I use to use a app in rF1 that would give weight to selected drivers each time they entered the server. All of that needed to be set on the server in the app for the automation to take place. There was some over riding commands from client I think but I never used them.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Ah,I will trying it with the batch file on my PC then and report back.

As far as I know, there are batch files made on the server after qualifying which has the grid order. I don't think these are generated on the local PC?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They are generated locally, if you dropped out during the session I'm not sure how reliable they would be.

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Correct your using the xml files so if you leave you loose the info. But the server should have the correct info and you can get it from the servers files (if you have access)

or from another driver in the room

7. redapg

redapg Registered

I thought i would remember to being able to execute a "/batch <file>" command, with having the executed file ONLY being present on the Servers installation, at rF1.
    And i thought "why shouldn't this have been changed to rF2?", but never tried it out.
    And now i'm not sure anymore if my first thought, how it worked at rF1, is right.

I would have to give it a try, but makes no difference, because we are talking about rF2 here. :)

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We never ran the batch file from the server. But don't recall us even trying though, could work :)

You don't lose your grid values when you leave the server as admin, the xml file is still on your HDD. so upon return a new batch can be given.
    We used to run the Q-batch again just after warmup when the race event started for any disco's re-joining.

Everyone leaving the server will lose assigned weights and those need to be re-assigned by admin upon return.

There is a welcome message plugin which also assigns weight automatically. I've never tested it but I recon it works well enough.
    Maybe not for live events but we've found members also want their weights during practise days when admins are not around, this could help.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4472-Welcome-Message-plugin

And some more info for the lurkers:

http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Gridedit
    http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Batch

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I personally don't think it's ever worked, in rF1 or rF2. We've always done our admin stuff by logging in as a client, no issues with people making a mess because they don't have the password.

So I think we're in a position to agree the batch files work fine when they're in the required location (local file when running admin commands as a client, remote/server file when running admin commands via the dedi interface), while not being able to run batch files on the server from a logged in client is the expected behaviour.

I don't keep returning to this because I think it was possible or because I think it should be possible; it's what this thread (presumably mistakenly) suggested should be possible, and it's a repeat of what was said here: (and if DocJones would like to comment, I'd be interested)

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/11077-Server-(batch-file)

*(I suspect Doc was inadvertantly running his local grid setting .ini files, rather than those located on the server... but I'm open to correction)

11. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Yes, that worked for me in rF1 and also rF2 in the early days. It stopped working with the release of a new build in early 2013 for me - here's a bugreport from back then.

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I managed to run a file which was held on my local machine, while logged in as admin on my dedi.... probably no bug here then if it is supposed to work that way.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

Thanks for that info. :)

As said before, i think it would be better to ONLY have the possibility to run "/batch <file>" commands with files that are laying ONLY inside of the Dedicated-Server installation.
    That would avoid unwanted executions of other batchfiles, to e.g. manipulate things.

I know, normally the people that get the Admin password are trustworthy, but... ;)

14. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Didn't see this earlier and feel I should comment to rule out any misunderstanding or false assumptions:
    I am 100% positive that I was loading a batch file that was located on the server and not one I had on my local harddrive: I was using the /batch command combined with the filename 'grid.ini'. There was definately no such file on my local drive, all I had locally were those 'BatchTemplate' files everybody has in \UserData\Log\Results. And I can definately rule out that I accidentally loaded one of those and didn't notice: 99% of the time when I used the /batch command back in the day, we were swapping the top 10 drivers of race1 for the starting grid of race2. I would have noticed, and so would have our drivers...