Oversteer? Understeer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, Jan 21, 2018.

1. me you

me you Registered

I've got a thread on lap times in which i discuss the track Silverstone GP- which has I think 6 corners and 3 long sweeping curves- The corners my car handles fien on, but the long curves the car has a tendancy to slide to the outside edge and grass- like on the first curve, which is a left hand curve, I'll take it near the curb, but as I try to steer aroudn it, it wants to almost slide right to the edge of the grass- same with last long curve before the big chikanes right before start line-\

Is this understeer or oversteer?- I usually have to feather the brakes, or let off gas to keep it on track- What setting/settings can help with this issue? As i said, corners are fine- car handles beautifully- but the long curves it just wants to slide to outer grass area-

2. Carbine

Carbine Registered

3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Sounds like understeer.

Check this for some basic troubleshooting

[​IMG]

Ernie likes this.
  4. bwana

bwana Registered

Or lateral inertia effecting slip angle due to lack of grip ? Increase down force , drop ride height and adjust tyre pressure and camber to increase contact patch if you think your racing line is correct and test again to see if issue is reduced . Also if it’s the same 2017 mod your using check which CPM it’s using as there is a dramatic difference in versions

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  5. me you

me you Registered

Thanks Folks- I'll try those suggestions tonight- increase Downforce in front or back or both?

bwana likes this.
  6. bwana

bwana Registered

Just test , you may need to add slightly more to front than rear , too much rear induces understeer .

7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

General rule of thumb is understeer is when you see the wall before you hit it. Oversteer... Yeah...

ECAR_Tracks and F1Aussie like this.
  8. misi

misi Registered

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car; Oversteer, otherwise, is when you hit the wall with your rear-end!
    :)

Basically, increasing downforce will increase grip on that specific axis.
    So, if I increase rear downforce, I will increase grip on the rear axis, so I will increase understeering behaviour of the vehicle.
    Obviously, while increasing front downforce, I will generally get a more oversteering vehicle.

9. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

You could say it's understeer, you may have to tune it out of the car or you may not, you may simply have to not attack the corner that fast if the rest of the lap is fine.
    If the car is pushing (understeering) on the throttle, this may very well be linked to the differential settings also.
    Reducing the power setting in the differential may also help with that.
    You should be able to differentiate between a front end grip problem and a too high a power setting in the differential based on car behavior on corner exit.

10. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

And always think if the understeer/oversteer is caused by the car or you by taking the corner in a wrong way ;)

ECAR_Tracks and Rui Santos like this.
  11. misi

misi Registered

100% agree with this!

12. me you

me you Registered

The problem is that the ai are able to take those sweeping curves at full throttle (I've sat in their car [when replaying the race] trying to figure out what I was doing wrong)- They take the curves the same way I do- only they don't slide, (Note- these are long sweeping curves, not corners- so i shoudl be able to take them full throttle no problem) whereas the only way for me to stay on track is either tap brakes, or let off gas briefly- neither of which the AI have to do- I hit the entry the same, but it starts the slide aroufn 3/4 through the curve-. I dunno- I can't figure it out- I've tried a bunch of car setting changes- I'll check out the differential issue see if that can help-

13. me you

me you Registered

I've gotta believe at this point, it's the car- as I said in my last post, I sat in the AI cars on replay, and I don't drive those sweeping curves any different than they do, (And I've watched a couple dozen different AI taking those curves to see if they were hitting the marks any different than I was, or going in slower, or accelerating differently but I can't find much difference, if any, between how they take the curves and I do- maybe there is a subtle difference, but if so I can't spot it) and these are long sweeping curves, not sharper corners- the car just wants to push/slide to the outside of the track, and I have ot let up- losing about a second or so per curve to the AI- on corners, that's a different story- I gain time on the AI on most corners- but for some reason the long curves I lose time because I'm forced to let off gas while they go full throttle

14. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Take in mind that AI's use a semplified physics, so you can't compare them with you in everything. Anyway, which cars are you using? I'd like to give it a try later :)

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

AI tin tops can and will go flat out over the top of the hill at Road Atlanta onto the start finish.

Player car can't and won't do that without ending up in a wall.

16. Christos Segkounas

We raced NGTC last week at Road Atlanta and it's flat out easy.
    This week's Apex GT3s are also flat out but need a good line and good rubber.
    Makes me wonder what kind of tin top we are talking about here that cannot do it.

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Depends on power and downforce. V8 Supercars can't hit full throttle and need to short shift until they're over the other side.

18. me you

me you Registered

I'm using F1 cars- specifically the asr 2017, the isi 2012, and formula 2015- all of which are pretty grippy even stock without any changes- Now, the track I'm referring to is the silverstone GP track (A few other tracks have the same issue too- Matsusuka track but for htis discussion I'll talk of the silverstone track)

The areas io have the sliding issue are the first curve (after the first corner from start line) where you get on the gas and then come to a longish curve- the AI smoke me there because I have to let up to keep it from sliding off- The other spot is the long curve right before the chicane right before the start line- it's not even much of a curve either- but for some reason i slide towards the outside edge there too (the right side of track). The AI can go flat out both of those areas, I have ot let up some and lose time to them (but make it up on the actual corners)

19. me you

me you Registered

I have trouble with that spot too- that's where i slide too- have to feather throttle through that section- even with the super grippy formula 2015

20. Christos Segkounas

No useful conclusions can be had from comparing to the AI, there will always be places on the track where they are significantly slow and others where they are unrealistically fast.
    Use the whole width of the track, decelerate as late as possible, hit your apex, ride as much of the curb as appliccable, get on the power immediately upon hitting the apex, use all road on the exit.
    Any of these conditions is not met then one can do better.
    If all these conditions are met then one should feel comfortable with how he is taking the corner and any differences to other human players can be attributed to differences in setup.
    When racing the AI you have to accept there are differences in speed around the track and not put that down to you being uber fast or hopelessly slow.

ceecee likes this.